Rangers and celtc to make history with Boston friendly clash?

maxwellrfc

Aye , right.

Lets hold an OF match in Boston , which is the centre of Irish America , so that 60,000 Paddy Yanks can show up and "prove that celtc have a much bigger worldwide fanbase". No doubt the Bheasts will be right up for that.

:rolleyes:

My feeling exactly BC. This plays right into their TBFITW agenda.

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was FOR this match to go forward... Great idea to get much needed exposure. I now think it could be a losing proposition for us -- not on the field mind -- but we have almost nothing to gain given the location.

We should endeavour to acquire exposure by holding 'Soccer' schools in the US, perhaps partnering with MLS teams to raise our profile and so on.

Point is... there are plenty other ways to get exposure and for goodness sake, one would think a certain Mr. Alastair Johnston would know the ins and outs of the US market?

Lastly, I'm now firmly in the camp that says that OF matches should not become some side show, or freak show at the local Circus. OF matches need to be played at IBROX or celtc park. Not to amuse some plastic paddys from Boston.

EDIT: Lots of good posts about this subject Bears. Helped shape my feelings about it -- so thanks. :clap:

I thought the idea of playing at Gillette was bad, but this takes the cake. FFS, the idiots in charge of this scheme have no idea what they're getting themselves into.

Has Boston heard of The Billy Boys Del? uk.gif

Nah, seriously, I loathe the thought of this game going ahead.

Del sings it all the time down in Southie that's why he is always in trouble.

Does he sing it with an Alex Harvey voice? :lol:

:craphead: A most sensational idea!

Apr 23 2010

US police authorities last night gave the green light to an Old Firm clash in Boston - despite a potential security nightmare.

Glasgow's big two are in talks over taking the biggest derby in club football overseas for the first time.

A July date for the money-spinning match at the Gillette Stadium in Massachusetts has been agreed in principle.

And local authorities insist they can handle any potential crowd trouble.

Police Chief Edward O'Leary said: "We've held a wide variety of events over 20 years and have systems in place to cope."

http://www.<No links to this website>/football/spl/rangers/2010/04/23/us-police-give-go-ahead-for-old-firm-clash-in-boston-86908-22205704/

I live in Canada and have been to Boston once for an NHL hockey game and went to some pubs before and after the game and I saw scum scarves, pictures of players everything with green white and gold on the walls, so IMO I think this game, if it happens should never ever take place in Boston. Some locals I talked to actually called themselves Irish American F*nians. If they are going to hold an old firm game in North America it should be either in New York or Toronto. But what a mistake in Boston

Apr 23 2010

US police authorities last night gave the green light to an Old Firm clash in Boston - despite a potential security nightmare.

Glasgow's big two are in talks over taking the biggest derby in club football overseas for the first time.

A July date for the money-spinning match at the Gillette Stadium in Massachusetts has been agreed in principle.

Police Chief Edward O'Leary said: "We've held a wide variety of events over 20 years and have systems in place to cope."

http://www.<No links to this website>/football/spl/rangers/2010/04/23/us-police-give-go-ahead-for-old-firm-clash-in-boston-86908-22205704/

You have never had Rangers and cltic before though.

Apr 23 2010

You have never had Rangers and cltic before though.

with a 50/50 split of tickets night I add and very little knowledge of segregation

Here's the thing. Boston does have a lot of Irish, but most of them don't give a rat's ass about football. I'm not saying the crowd would be evenly split, but assuming Bears from the Northeast decide to make the trip, it should make for a pretty good atmosphere.

What tosspot came up with this idea its bad enough playing these taig bastards here without playing them in the US frisndly

its bad eniugh to use that word in the same context as these scummy inbred bastards.

I live in Canada and have been to Boston once for an NHL hockey game and went to some pubs before and after the game and I saw scum scarves, pictures of players everything with green white and gold on the walls, so IMO I think this game, if it happens should never ever take place in Boston. Some locals I talked to actually called themselves Irish American F*nians. If they are going to hold an old firm game in North America it should be either in New York or Toronto. But what a mistake in Boston

:lol: Of course if you go into an Irish pub in Boston you will see scum flags etc. they make up 15% of the population. If you go into an Italian, Haitian, Dominican, or English one you won't. Why do folks on here prefer NY (also has an Irish connection), and according to CR Rangers fans only filled a 1/10 of the stadium in Toronto. I would prefer it to take place out of the city at Gillette not Fenway though.

What people tend to forget is that until the mid 80s we played Celtic in a pre-season friendly most years. They called it the Glasgow Cup - also remember the Davie Cooper keepy uppy goal against them? That was in the Dryborough cup = both these tourneys were glorified friendlys - of course when we played them the games were treated by both sides as serious games

As would this proposed game be in July.