I nearly walked out on Rangers.

I nearly walked out on Rangers.

By DEREK McGREGOR

Published: 27 Apr 2010

Add a comment Add a comment (0)

KYLE LAFFERTY is living his Rangers dream, as he revels in another title party.

But only a few months ago he felt stuck in a NIGHTMARE.

Disillusioned and dejected after Walter Smith dumped him from his 18-man squad, the under-fire £3.25million striker was ready to walk away from the club he loves.

It was one thing coping with ferocious stick from all quarters about his playing ability and personality.

It was another when it seemed even his legendary boss had given up on him.

That cut to the bone and, suddenly, Lafferty started thinking about quitting Ibrox.

There are Premier League clubs who'd happily take the ex-Burnley ace back south.

Lafferty, however, never wants to leave Glasgow on the back of taunts of being a waste of money.

The 22-year-old told SunSport: "I'm not going to deny there have been moments this season when it's got particularly tough and I've thought about leaving Rangers.

"But my team-mates have always been there for me and that's meant a lot. They have lifted my spirits.

"I never want to leave Glasgow classed as a dud. In years to come it'd be nice if the fans were saying 'That Lafferty's a good player' or 'That Lafferty, he was a good player for Rangers'. That would do me.

"The lowest point this season for me was a few months back. I got dropped from the squad.

"Before that I'd at least been on the bench for every game when fit.

"Being left out of even the 18, that was hard to take.

"It hurt me badly. But it also hit home then I had to do MORE to be a Rangers player. I started working harder and dedicated myself more to the job.

"I got healthier and my attitude improved. Being dropped completely was my lowest point at Rangers."

Ex-Celtic target Lafferty - tracked by Wolves, Stoke, Hull and Southampton - is often a different player for Northern Ireland.

Indeed, he even candidly admits to be being a BETTER player for his country - and he thinks he knows why.

Lafferty said: "There have been times I've played better for Northern Ireland than Rangers, but that was also the case at Burnley.

"When I'm playing for my country I'm more relaxed about my game. When I'm playing for Rangers I can get too uptight, I try too hard.

"I know that sounds strange, but whenever I get the ball I feel a pressure to do something.

"I know I've not really expressed myself in the way I wanted to, but I don't want to leave Rangers until I've proved to the gaffer, his coaching staff, my team-mates and the fans that I'm good enough for the club.

"I just want to stay here and prove my critics wrong.

"Being at Rangers means everything to me. It was a dream fulfilled when I signed.

"Knowing that the gaffer rates me, that he thinks I can do a job, gives me great belief.

"I think in the last few games I've shown glimpses of what I can do. I was delighted with Sunday's goal.

"Over the last six weeks I feel I've been doing the things that got me the move to Rangers.

"The lads have been brilliant. One of the best for me, someone who has been an amazing support, is Kevin Thomson. He's become one of my closest friends.

"Kevin is captain material and I hope he stays at Rangers for the future."

Advertisement

Lafferty was his own worst enemy earlier this year in an interview in which he appeared to brag about his Bentley, his house and his wages.

And bluntly disrespecting arch-critic Charlie Nicholas hardly helped matters either.

Lafferty doesn't take back a word of his Nicholas attack - but does deeply regret the public's perception of him now.

He said: "I'm still maturing, still learning about things.

"I'm one of those players who needs to be egged on, to have their confidence boosted, to have an arm on the shoulder.

"That's been happening. The coaching staff have been brilliant. The gaffer didn't really say much to me about the Charlie Nicholas comments. It was more Coisty and Kenny McDowall. They said if I was going to have a pop at someone as big as that then I was going to have to take what was coming back.

"I got off my chest what I thought about Charlie and I DON'T regret what I said.

"But when Charlie came back at me and said I couldn't take a beach ball off him in a telephone box I actually LAUGHED. I thought it was a great come back.

"I'm not going to deny that I said what I did about my money and Bentley in the recent interview.

"But I was responding to a question put to me about rumours of me having financial problems, that I was poor.

"When I opened the paper, saw the article and looked at my quotes I thought 'What have I done? Why have I said that?'

"People since then have understandably looked at me as being flash and arrogant, a big-time Charlie. But I'm NOT like that.

"My mother also reacted badly to it all. It's tough for her back home in Northern Ireland to open the paper and be left with the impression that everyone's out to get me.

"Whoever knows me well knows I'm not the character that's been described."

The Bentley, by the way, has since been ditched.

Lafferty's instead trying to steer himself back to credibility on and off the pitch.

always thought he had talent, just needed to focus on the footballing side and not let the size of the club get to him. Gives us more than what Boyd offers IMO When he plays the way he can. But can he do it week in week out ? thats the big question, and he has till the end of the season to prove he can.

Interesting that he says about the trying hard thing. When I spoke to him last Thursdazy nite in the Q club I said to him he was doing that but last few games hasnt and the goals have come. Maybe my wee pep talk inspired him. Interesting too about ditching the Bentley :sherlock:

That was a good read, He's obviously had difficulties this season on and off the park, but I hope to God he can keep up this form, I certainly know that I want to remember him as a good player and not anything negative. Good luck big man and keep it up :clap:.

"But when Charlie came back at me and said I couldn't take a beach ball off him in a telephone box I actually LAUGHED. I thought it was a great come back

:P what a legend. I reckon he will be good banter, glad he gets on well with the squad

Interesting that he says about the trying hard thing. When I spoke to him last Thursdazy nite in the Q club I said to him he was doing that but last few games hasnt and the goals have come. Maybe my wee pep talk inspired him. Interesting too about ditching the Bentley 10310.gif

Appearing on TV on at the end of last season has really gone to your head hasnt it? You've started claiming the credit for everything :pipe:

Interesting that he says about the trying hard thing. When I spoke to him last Thursdazy nite in the Q club I said to him he was doing that but last few games hasnt and the goals have come. Maybe my wee pep talk inspired him. Interesting too about ditching the Bentley :sherlock:

:lol:

Interesting that he says about the trying hard thing. When I spoke to him last Thursdazy nite in the Q club I said to him he was doing that but last few games hasnt and the goals have come. Maybe my wee pep talk inspired him. Interesting too about ditching the Bentley 10310.gif

Appearing on TV on at the end of last season has really gone to your head hasnt it? You've started claiming the credit for everything :pipe:

Stared claiming credit? You've got me wrong old boy, I've been doing this for more years than I'd like to remember :pipe: Seriously though I did speak to him and I did say those things to him although I was a wee bit nervous, if John Fleck hadnt been engaged in a game of snooker I would have gone and imparted some words of wisdom too and who knows what would happen then :pipe: Good to also see someone else bringing up Tannadice last May other than my good self! :wink:

Appearing on TV on at the end of last season has really gone to your head hasnt it? You've started claiming the credit for everything pipeb.gif

Stared claiming credit? You've got me wrong old boy, I've been doing this for more years than I'd like to remember pipeb.gif Seriously though I did speak to him and I did say those things to him although I was a wee bit nervous, if John Fleck hadnt been engaged in a game of snooker I would have gone and imparted some words of wisdom too and who knows what would happen then pipeb.gif Good to also see someone else bringing up Tannadice last May other than my good self! boogie.png

Well I hardly know ya old chap, so didn't know that claiming credit for everything was normal for you! But if you've actually managed to turn Lafferty in to a good player just from a wee chat in a pub then you really are some guy :wink:

Appearing on TV on at the end of last season has really gone to your head hasnt it? You've started claiming the credit for everything pipeb.gif

Stared claiming credit? You've got me wrong old boy, I've been doing this for more years than I'd like to remember pipeb.gif Seriously though I did speak to him and I did say those things to him although I was a wee bit nervous, if John Fleck hadnt been engaged in a game of snooker I would have gone and imparted some words of wisdom too and who knows what would happen then pipeb.gif Good to also see someone else bringing up Tannadice last May other than my good self! boogie.png

Well I hardly know ya old chap, so didn't know that claiming credit for everything was normal for you! But if you've actually managed to turn Lafferty in to a good player just from a wee chat in a pub then you really are some guy :wink:

While we're on the subject of me being a good omen, I have never been to an old firm game that Rangers have lost :wink:

Well I hardly know ya old chap, so didn't know that claiming credit for everything was normal for you! But if you've actually managed to turn Lafferty in to a good player just from a wee chat in a pub then you really are some guy boogie.png

While we're on the subject of me being a good omen, I have never been to an old firm game that Rangers have lost boogie.png

That just sounds like bragging to me :pipe: How many have you been to, and which ones?

Both the home ones this season, 3 last season, 2 away and the one last May. One during the UEFA cup season which we won 1-0 Thomson with the goal. Both the home games the previous season 1-1 Hemdani and 2-0 Boyd and Adam. I make that 8, bear in mind I missed out when younger and not living in Glasgow and on websites such as this chatting to othert bears. :sherlock:

Both the home ones this season, 3 last season, 2 away and the one last May. One during the UEFA cup season which we won 1-0 Thomson with the goal. Both the home games the previous season 1-1 Hemdani and 2-0 Boyd and Adam. I make that 8, bear in mind I missed out when younger and not living in Glasgow and on websites such as this chatting to othert bears. 10310.gif

That's some record Mister C (wink) I hope it continues mate (tu) Also I dont begrudge you the ones that you missed since you were younger since I've never actually been to an old firm game :anguish: can never get a ticket.

Both the home ones this season, 3 last season, 2 away and the one last May. One during the UEFA cup season which we won 1-0 Thomson with the goal. Both the home games the previous season 1-1 Hemdani and 2-0 Boyd and Adam. I make that 8, bear in mind I missed out when younger and not living in Glasgow and on websites such as this chatting to othert bears. 10310.gif

That's some record Mister C (wink) I hope it continues mate (tu) Also I dont begrudge you the ones that you missed since you were younger since I've never actually been to an old firm game :anguish: can never get a ticket.

Why thank you kind sir (doffs cap) I dare say you'll get a ticket for the next home old firm game off someone from here ;) May the run continue for eternity! :D

That's some record Mister C (wink) I hope it continues mate 00000042.gif Also I dont begrudge you the ones that you missed since you were younger since I've never actually been to an old firm game anguish.gif can never get a ticket.

Why thank you kind sir (doffs cap) I dare say you'll get a ticket for the next home old firm game off someone from here wink.gif May the run continue for eternity! biggrin.gif

Indeed good sir pipeb.gif That run you have going is a thing of beauty, and I hope you witness 100 more and never see defeat. I will drink to that party0012.gif