PLG on his time at Rangers and Fernando

Boab

PLG way of being Rangers manager was uncomftable

banning slide tackling in Training i mean who does that? I was glad the players knew his failure was high after the Motherwell match when Ferguson was dropped i had enough of him , i have never experianced a failed gers manager in my life untill his appointment

One of the reasons PLG failed was several high-profile players never bought into his vision of how the club would change under his leadership.The thought of double training sessions,strict diets and generally living the lifestyle of a modern athlete was too much for some who sought to undermine his every move.

Did he make mistakes?.Yes of course he did but I truly believe he was destined to fail from day one.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

People go on about his training and diet regime but I have never known a Rangers team which was pegged back so often and losing goals and games in the latter stages. We were always known to be the strongest team late in games in my 50 plus years of watching. The difference the following season to the present, when we won a lot of games with goals in late stages of games, seems to show a better level of fitness than in the PLG experiment.

People go on about his training and diet regime but I have never known a Rangers team which was pegged back so often and losing goals and games in the latter stages. We were always known to be the strongest team late in games in my 50 plus years of watching. The difference the following season to the present, when we won a lot of games with goals in late stages of games, seems to show a better level of fitness than in the PLG experiment.

Not selecting a secure centre-back pairing and certain players not following tactical instructions could also be the reasons for the loss of some goals.As I said before he made mistakes but feel we are too quick to judge both new players & managers when perhaps a long term view could be more productive.

It was 90% PLG's fault, 5% Ferguson's fault and 5% McLeish's fault.

Coming third in a two horse race the year before fairly scuppered our budget, although I'd love someone to prove this wasn't the case because McLeish did wonders with what he had outwith that year.

It was 90% PLG's fault, 5% Ferguson's fault and 5% McLeish's fault.

Coming third in a two horse race the year before fairly scuppered our budget, although I'd love someone to prove this wasn't the case because McLeish did wonders with what he had outwith that year.

Murray's got to have a % for having yet another inspired idea, only to fuck it up by not sanctioning a decent amount of spending.

banning slide tackling in Training i mean who does that? I was glad the players knew his failure was high after the Motherwell match when Ferguson was dropped i had enough of him , i have never experianced a failed gers manager in my life untill his appointment

Wenger bans tackling in training and it was only for one session a week. That session was used to give players more time on the ball to develop these skills. This is common practice accross the continent but hey what have we too learn???

The tackling story was all part of the misinformation coming out the dressing room to undermime him, the leaks from our judas ex captain to of all peope Radio Cattolica and the Rhebel sums the man up.

No doubt PLG made mistakes but he acted with the best interests of the club and has shown dignity throughout, at least he is man enough to admit he made mistakes unlike Captain me me me. Our ex Captain was only acting in his own narrow interests and to this day has not admited his own mistakes. I'm sure some day he might but you can be sure its for more silver from his Mhedia chums for Captain me me me. By god has our club moved forward since he was punted, how refreshing to actually have a captain with the true stature of a Rangesr Captain. If only we had of got a hold of Weir years ago.

By DEREK McGREGOR

Published: 03 Jul 2010

Flop Rangers boss Paul le Guen has spoken for the first time about his sensational Ibrox bust-up with Fernando Ricksen.

The Frenchman - just six months in charge at Gers - has dramatically confessed the Dutchman's boozy pre-season disgrace left him scared.

The ex-Lyon gaffer also still insisted ditching hot head Ricksen was an 'error'.

Le Guen effectively sacked Ricksen four years ago after the full-back shamed himself and the club by getting bevvied on a pre-season flight to South Africa.

Ricksen was also abusive to air stewardesses.

Le Guen was furious, having already granted the Dutchman a last chance at Rangers following a plea from club supremo David Murray.

He instantly sent Ricksen back home.

The player became reunited with Dick Advocaat at Zenit St Petersburg on a loan deal before they bought him.

It was a shocking end to Ricksen's six-year period with Gers.

Le Guen didn't know it then, but it was also the beginning of the end for HIM with hopeless results and another dressing room fight to come - with Barry Ferguson.

He revealed: "I knew Fernando had problems. David Murray told me: 'Give him a last chance', and I accepted this.

"But when we travelled to South Africa we had a problem. In my mind that was his last chance. I had to do my job.

"I was unlucky because Fernando was an important player for the squad. He could have been useful for me but the problem during this flight wasn't a small problem. It was a REAL problem and I was a little bit afraid.

"Don't forget, this was his last chance. I think I deserved respect for that.

"To sack him was perhaps an error - even with this mistake."

Le Guen, though, loved the proposition from Murray about taking over Rangers.

He added: "Straight away I was interested in coming to coach Rangers but perhaps I didn't know enough about Scottish football or the club before I came.

"However, I wanted to go. My first feeling about it was very good.

"I made mistakes but I also thought I was very unlucky in the beginning.

"I had some problems with Ricksen and a little bit with Barry Ferguson.

"I didn't do everything well, but I felt I was unlucky in the beginning.

"I tried to change things too quickly.

"I'd won three titles with Lyon - and perhaps I felt a bit too confident at the beginning.

Advertisement

Quantcast Quantcast

"I felt I could change everything straight away but I accept that I should have been more patient.

"I have to recognise it was my fault. If I was to do it again it would be different.

"It was my first experience abroad and I know I made mistakes.

"It was great for me to be the coach of Rangers."

Le Guen, speaking on Radio Scotland, sought the help of Ibrox legend Walter Smith just days before he stripped Ferguson of the captaincy.

On the meeting at Smith's home he said: "I listened to him, but it was impossible to follow his advice."

Le Guen regrets the fall-out with Ferguson, but added: "I think when your biggest player wants you to go then it's better to leave.

"You can't work without the help of the most important player.

"Barry Ferguson had been very close with Alex McLeish. With me, though, it was just impossible.

"After two or three months it had become so difficult.

"Ferguson's a very good player and he was also my best player.

"But I expected him to be a real example and I thought that wasn't really the case."

Gers chief Murray couldn't disguise his smugness as he unveiled the previously hugely successful Lyon coach le Guen as Alex McLeish's successor.

He said then: "We've been very fortunate in securing one of the most exciting, promising and successful managers in Europe."

Le Guen, however, will only be remembered as one of Rangers' WORST bosses.

Yet, despite his misery in Glasgow he'll always value the 'experience' of being an Old Firm gaffer.

Le Guen said: "My family was OK and my children wanted to stay in Glasgow.

"My wife and children often speak about it.

"It was a very good experience for our family.

"Rangers are a massive club and I'm happy to have had such an experience. It was not so great for the club - but it was great for me."

Managing The Old Firm, BBC Radio Scotland today between 4-5pm.

Read more: http://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/scotsol/homepage/sport/spl/3039696/Fernando-scared-me-but-I-was-wrong-to-give-him-the-boot.html#ixzz0sZKCzznx

dont worry about that PLG, it aint gona happen, EVER!!!!

Wenger bans tackling in training and it was only for one session a week. That session was used to give players more time on the ball to develop these skills. This is common practice accross the continent but hey what have we too learn???

The tackling story was all part of the misinformation coming out the dressing room to undermime him, the leaks from our judas ex captain to of all peope Radio Cattolica and the Rhebel sums the man up.

No doubt PLG made mistakes but he acted with the best interests of the club and has shown dignity throughout, at least he is man enough to admit he made mistakes unlike Captain me me me. Our ex Captain was only acting in his own narrow interests and to this day has not admited his own mistakes. I'm sure some day he might but you can be sure its for more silver from his Mhedia chums for Captain me me me. By god has our club moved forward since he was punted, how refreshing to actually have a captain with the true stature of a Rangesr Captain. If only we had of got a hold of Weir years ago.

There seems to be a naked hostility to foreigners and foreign ideas from much of our support. I used to listen to Albertz being called a "German poof" as he wasn't crashing into tackles and launching his head at the ball when it was in the air. Comments such as "look at the size of him and he can't header" and "look how big he is and he doesn't get stuck in" were commonplace. De Boer and Gio received their fair share of invective also.

I do wonder when the country is going to wake up and realise our way is wrong. Our national team is a joke, our club teams perform pathetically in Europe and we produce no (or very few) players of substance, grace and style.

There seems to be a naked hostility to foreigners and foreign ideas from much of our support. I used to listen to Albertz being called a "German poof" as he wasn't crashing into tackles and launching his head at the ball when it was in the air. Comments such as "look at the size of him and he can't header" and "look how big he is and he doesn't get stuck in" were commonplace. De Boer and Gio received their fair share of invective also.

I do wonder when the country is going to wake up and realise our way is wrong. Our national team is a joke, our club teams perform pathetically in Europe and we produce no (or very few) players of substance, grace and style.

The country will never wake up to the reality of things. The chip on the shoulder is still there.

The country will never wake up to the reality of things. The chip on the shoulder is still there.

It is a problem, the nation seems to have a collective small man syndrome. Scotland really is a bitter and backward little place.

Due to the macho culture prevalent in this country we appreciate and relate more to players who give 100% and "get stuck in " rather than the more creative and cultured ones who are not as consistent.

Due to the macho culture prevalent in this country we appreciate and relate more to players who give 100% and "get stuck in " rather than the more creative and cultured ones who are not as consistent.

I agree, to an extent.

The macho culture exists in South America, but they manage to combine their toughness with skill and flair. I think it goes a bit deeper with us.

I don't think it's anything to do with macho culture. It is everything to do with arrogance and stupidity.

Arrogance and Stupidity are both symptoms of our macho attitude.