Transfers - Can we all calm down please?

AlCapone

You know over the last couple of months on here its been a bit depressing listening to our fans going on about the lack of players, lack of signings, players leaving..... in fact its been getting on my man boobs.

I honestly thought someone had knocked me on the head with a metal bar put me in a coma and I'd wakened up on the 1st of September with lots of players having left and no signings....and Sellik were romping away in Europe and the SPL.

Now first of all please dont think I'm saying that everything is okay with that clown Murray's current Rangers, far from it.

Novo, Boyd and Thomson.... well they wouldnt sign extensions because they all knew the could get more money elsewhere so what are Rangers meant to do???? answers on the back of a postage stamp please. Now I'm not a lover of Novo the player but I will say he's served us well and gave 100% to the cause so no criticsm there. Boyd and Thomson well they claimn to be Rangers men but like Hutton before them they put money before pulling on the Rangers jersey. Is that a crime? everyone has a different view on that but at least the two of them never claimed they were pushed out the door a la Hutton style. Bhoogie.....surely after Thonson and Boyd leaving for the high of Middlesboro no one is niave enough to believe he aint working his ticket? And yet some believe its Rangers who want him out the door! If he wont sign an extension whats Bain meant to do??

So whats with all the shite that we havent signed players yet? If we havent signed anyone by the 1st of September then yes we should all be bloody panicking but does anyone really believe we wont?? Have we not all noticed that most of the transfer activity takes place in the last fortnight in August? The only SPL clubs that sign players early are clubs with an inexperienced management teams who have little scouting contacts and who had to sign players as there Champions League games started 6 or 7 weeks prior to us. Its hard to sign a decent player until late in the transfer window, to put it bluntly the SPL is not a magnet for talent and any player worth his salt will hang off until August and review his options rather than jump early into an SPL contract. Its just the way it is. The players that tend to sign for SPL clubs just now know they wont get a better offer elsewhere... and what does that tell you about them? It might just be the case that a certain club for the second year in a row has spent a lot of money and brought in lots of players..... to weaken the team for the 2nd year in a row again :)

Fellow Bears, have patience and faith that Smith will sign able replacements in good time to deliver three in a row. He has the record to prove it..... just dont get me started on his European record though!

I was talking to Walter after training last Friday in Sydney and he is confident of us getting a few players in before the season begins.

He obviously didn't confide to me or give a hint who the said players were mind you,but he seemed calm and confident about it all, so i'm not going to get my knickers in a twist just yet....Have faith fellow Bears. (tu)

Thomson never claimed to be a rangers man, he supports hibs. Rangers couldn't offer him anything and sold him, wasn't thomson wanting to leave.

The cynic in me suggests 99.9% of them want to leave if theres more money on the table elsewhere

Novo wanted a 2 year deal and the club would only offer him a 1 year deal

Thomson wasn't even offered a new contract and couldn't or wouldn't wait until it ran out.

Both players were effectively sold or left against their wishes.

Wilson wanted to leave as did Boyd so as you say the club cannot do anything if that is the case.They did try and sell Boyd against his wishes though to get them out of a financial hold and he refused to leave.Perhaps that had something to do with him going to Middlesborough.

Smith admitted that he will see precious little of the Wilson and Thomson money despite what Chairman Johnson said a few weeks back.

Your opinion is no more or no less valid than mine and certainly not stronger or more convincing.

Novo wanted a 2 year deal and the club would only offer him a 1 year dealThomson wasn't even offered a new contract and couldn't or wouldn't wait until it ran out.

Wilson wanted to leave as did Boyd so as you say the club cannot do anything if that is the case.They did try and sell Boyd against his wishes though to get them out of a financial hold and he refused to leave.Perhaps that had something to do with him going to Middlesborough.

Smith admitted that he will see precious little of the Wilson and Thomson money despite what Chairman Johnson said a few weeks back.

Your opinion is no more or no less valid than mine and certainly not stronger or more convincing.

Are you suggesting we just give players what they want ? or is it better to do the best thing for the club ? do you give a squad player a 2 year deal coz thats what he wanted ?

Thomson never claimed to be a rangers man, he supports hibs. Rangers couldn't offer him anything and sold him, wasn't thomson wanting to leave.

The cynic in me suggests 99.9% of them want to leave if theres more money on the table elsewhere

They are in a job so if someone comes to you and says i'll double your salary or give you the security of a 4 year deal do you reject it because you love the people you work with?

Novo wanted a 2 year deal and the club would only offer him a 1 year dealThomson wasn't even offered a new contract and couldn't or wouldn't wait until it ran out.

Are you suggesting we just give players what they want ? or is it better to do the best thing for the club ? do you give a squad player a 2 year deal coz thats what he wanted ?

You deal with each individuals requests and offer terms accordingly.Ironic that we are now looking for a replacement that will undoubtedly involve a fee and similar wages when we could have offered Novo a 2 year deal thereby saving money.

Did Novo merit a new contract?

I would say yes.

Did Novo merit a 2 year contract?

Again i would say yes.

The other side to it is that if we had offered him a 2 year deal and a year down the line he wanted to leave due to lack of game time we could have sold him on for a modest fee and recouped what we paid him in his salary.

And i would much rather we kept Novo than Naismith that's for sure.

You deal with each individuals requests and offer terms accordingly.Ironic that we are now looking for a replacement that will undoubtedly involve a fee and similar wages when we could have offered Novo a 2 year deal thereby saving money.

Did Novo merit a new contract?

I would say yes.

Did Novo merit a 2 year contract?

Again i would say yes.

The other side to it is that if we had offered him a 2 year deal and a year down the line he wanted to leave due to lack of game time we could have sold him on for a modest fee and recouped what we paid him in his salary.

And i would much rather we kept Novo than Naismith that's for sure.

Nice answer , makes a change on this forum :lol: i believe the problem with Novo was also he wanted to play first team football and we couldn't guarentee that for him so even if we offered the 2 year deal without the guarentee at this late stage in his career then i still think he would have left , it seemed clear enough towards the end of the season that he was moving on .

then again we don't know for sure what happened and we are all guessing the scenario (tu)

Thomson wasn't even offered a new contract and couldn't or wouldn't wait until it ran out.

Do you really believe Thomsons agent wasnt approached about a deal? If he wasnt offered a deal it will more than likely be because Rangers were told the player wanted to move to England or that he wanted more cash than we could offer.

Do you really believe Thomsons agent wasnt approached about a deal? If he wasnt offered a deal it will more than likely be because Rangers were told the player wanted to move to England or that he wanted more cash than we could offer.

That's what Smith,Thomson and Bain all said.

That's what I said...he may not have been offered a deal but you can be 100% sure there was dialogue between the club and the players agent over a new contract.

That's what I said...he may not have been offered a deal but you can be 100% sure there was dialogue between the club and the players agent over a new contract.

You can't be certain of that....or you can be 100% certain depending on the content of said dialogue.

Smith himself said that the club wasn't in a position to offer Thomson a new contract and he could understand why he took up Middlesboroughs offer.

If they had talked money and Thomson refused a new contract on that basis why would Smith lie and do you not think if that was the case then the story would have got out to the fans?

When I look at the signings made by them I dont see anyone I would have liked to have seen in a Rangers jersey. Then there is that well worn Manager's cliche about "time to settle in" and "build a team."Lennon is unproven at any Managerial level and the only noise he makes is "play for the shirt." Obviously a tactical genius.Then I look at who we have lost and apart from Boyd and Wilson it doesnt overly worry me.Our main problem is a lack of depth in the squad.Fundamentally we still have the team that won the League and can do so again.Smith will find replacements but in his own time.Not on the time scale wanted by the Press or even the supporters unless he can find the right player to meet our demands.Watch for the last week of the deadline.Thats when I expect some movement.

[

You can't be certain of that....or you can be 100% certain depending on the content of said dialogue.

Smith himself said that the club wasn't in a position to offer Thomson a new contract and he could understand why he took up Middlesboroughs offer.

If they had talked money and Thomson refused a new contract on that basis why would Smith lie and do you not think if that was the case then the story would have got out to the fans?

If we could afford to offer Boyd a contract we could afford to offer Thomson a contract, I'm sure Smith was actually saying we have spoken to his agent, he's told us what it will take to sign another contract and Rangers cant afford what he wants so we are not in a position to offer him a contract.

At the very leas

I was talking to Walter after training last Friday in Sydney and he is confident of us getting a few players in before the season begins.

He obviously didn't confide to me or give a hint who the said players were mind you,but he seemed calm and confident about it all, so i'm not going to get my knickers in a twist just yet....Have faith fellow Bears. (tu)

Good insight OZ -- Cheers. Always wanted to meet Walter. Must have been great! One of the few people on this planet that I trust 100%.

No he didn't. Smith said: "However, there are two sides to the Thomson deal in that he is going into the last year of his contract and, from the player's point of view, Middlesbrough can maybe offer more long-term security than he can have here."

More pointedly - and seeing as how I am not tethered by the need for public politeness as Smith is - Thomson wanted more cash and fucked off to a (much) lesser club in a lower league to get it.

Finally the deal almost stalled with Thomson demanding a pay-off from The Rangers before he walked. Immediately after, laughably, the wee runt was reported as feeling 'sorry for Walter' because he knew Smith would be unlikely to get any of the transfer fee added to his budget.

A multi-faced arsehole in my book. You can only hope the extra cash cushions the match-day mediocrity that looms before him in the coming seasons...