Walter on the prospect of loans

Boab

Smith said: "The 25-man rule might open a few doors. There's going to be an excess of players which may be useful to ourselves or other clubs who are interested.

"I'm not usually a fan of loan deals. If you are bringing in loan players and they're in the team ahead of contracted players that can lead to a bit of an awkward situation.

"But with the size of our group this year that won't be as big a problem as I see it, so we will probably go down that road with a maximum of two loans."

With money increasingly tight and wage demands higher than ever the transfer market has become a minefield for Scottish clubs.

And Smith is relieved that his side's league triumph last season has bought him more time to negotiate these murky waters - rather than rushing to get new faces in time for the Champions League qualifiers.

He added: "We would have been pushed to bring in players we maybe didn't want.

"So the extra time has been of benefit. Rather than take six new players who aren't going to raise the level, I'd rather take three good ones and keep our fingers crossed we don't hit too many injuries and suspensions.

"But when you go for that level the wage levels are extremely high.

"Players from abroad also don't appreciate the situation in Scotland. They still associate it with the English game so the financial aspects can be a little frustrating for you."

I don't know if he was asked about this or if he made the point but this might give us scope though the wages might prove a stumbling block also.

http://www.<No links to this website>/football/spl/rangers/2010/08/15/walter-smith-25-man-rule-in-english-premier-league-could-open-door-for-fringe-stars-to-move-to-ibrox-86908-22489416/

sure ther are players who could easily fill in up here and do a job, just cause you aint in the 25 dont mean you aint a good player, also it may mean clubs covering part of wages as they need them away really

I'm sure that's the one BP9 is on about Boab in his transfer snippet thread,that's the one i posted in there anyway.

Yeah, I think so. I didn't see it, was quite far down the page.

I hate being critical but it needs to be said.

Walter is talking bollox. Okay I understand about the wages etc etc and anyone who doesn't by now needs fucking looked at, BUT there are many many other clubs out there who also have similar problems and have still managed to acquire the players they need.

We have no natural wide players at all, can anyone name me another team anywhere that also has none?

There are hundreds of players out there who would be better than our current wide options all over Europe including lower leagues and its the managements inability to source and secure that is the real problem.

I also think Walter needs to take a look at the youth set up at the club. When you look at RAceltic and the options they have for wide attacking areas including players coming through from the youths and compare with our own its embarrassing. WS surely has to realise this and has to address this asap.

BTW I am a supporter of WS but there are times when he has to shoulder criticism and responsibility.

Walter is talking bollox. Okay I understand about the wages etc etc and anyone who doesn't by now needs fucking looked at, BUT there are many many other clubs out there who also have similar problems and have still managed to acquire the players they need.

We have no natural wide players at all, can anyone name me another team anywhere that also has none?

There are hundreds of players out there who would be better than our current wide options all over Europe including lower leagues and its the managements inability to source and secure that is the real problem.

I also think Walter needs to take a look at the youth set up at the club. When you look at RAceltic and the options they have for wide attacking areas including players coming through from the youths and compare with our own its embarrassing. WS surely has to realise this and has to address this asap.

BTW I am a supporter of WS but there are times when he has to shoulder criticism and responsibility.

who is thew scums wide men? and i thought we had youth coming through?

Who's Celtics options and how do you know there youth players.

Who's Celtics options and how do you know there youth players.

even i know some of there youths, my point is i dont think they have anyone we nead to be fearfull of and certainly not anything to worry about, although the wee forest dude looks good but i aint worried

Other than Davis have we had any successful loan signings?

kygiakos was good when he was on loan for us. Then we signed him permanently and it all went down hill from there!!! Not a big fan of loan signings myself. Certainly dont want to be like celtic last year where 4 of their regular first 11 were on loan. One loan signing if its the right person could be a good move though.

Spurs are bound to have a few outwith the 25 (assuming they don't sell them in next 2 weeks)

Jamie O'Hara / Kyle Naughton would be realistic I would think.

Bentley etc would simply be too well paid. Granted the teams in EPL will pay some of the wage but I wouldn't imagine they will agree to 70% etc

I have no problem with loan signings as long as the player being brought in is good enough to go straight into the first team and contribute.

No point taking a player on loan and having him sit on the bench each week.