Smith Reluctant to Sell

5cotland

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I must watch a totally different Broadfoot from you two, then.

Infact, I'd actually say that's one of his worst traits after being slow and having no positional sense. Everyone see's the game differently, though.

I agree we all see different things during a game but Broadfoot isn't the car wreck that everyone delights in making him out to be.

Good solid player in my opinion. Maybe not what we need, but still better than Whittaker at defending. :sherlock:

I agree we all see different things during a game but Broadfoot isn't the car wreck that everyone delights in making him out to be.

Good solid player in my opinion. Maybe not what we need, but still better than Whittaker at defending. :sherlock:

I thought you said he was better at crossing than Bougherra and therefore would be capable and adequate playing CB with Weir?

What has Whittaker got to do with it now?

So your basis for the arguement that we can cope without Bougherra at CB back is that Broadfoot can cross a ball?

When in your experience of football has crossing the ball been a requirement for playing CB? Fuck me if you think we can cope with Broadfoot in CB along with Weir because he can cross a ball then you have no clue about football whatsoever.

I was alluding to the fact that Boughie likes to wander up the wing now and then. If you didn't get that, then ......I don't care. Broadfoot has already proved himself at CB.

No need to be so condescending. We can't all have your superior experience at managing Football Manager teams. :wanker:

I thought you said he was better at crossing than Bougherra and therefore would be capable and adequate playing CB with Weir?

What has Whittaker got to do with it now?

Are you trying to sound like a moron or what?

He is better at crossing than Boughie. He is a better defender than Whittaker.

What the fuck is your problem? :rolleyes:

I'll fire this in here

WALTER SMITH says he'd be as well chucking it NOW if Kenny Miller or Madjid Bougherra are sold from under him.

The Rangers boss faces an anxious 72 hours hoping no one comes in for his top stars before the transfer window closes on Tuesday.

He has already suffered a blow with the news that £4million new striker Nikica Jelavic is ineligible to play in the Champions League.

This morning Sport of the World reveals the striker won't be available for the Europa League if Rangers finish third in Group C of the Champions League and drop into the competition.

Smith's fear is that the banks' resolve will be tested in the next few days if bids come in for any of his key men.

He said: "We're not in the position where we need to sell anybody.

"If that was imposed on us we'd be as well chucking it - but I don't believe it will happen.

"Any decision would come down to us in the end because we don't need to sell a player.

"As for Kenny Miller, we've been sitting for the whole of the summer and never had an enquiry for him. I'd have thought if somebody had wanted to take him they'd have told us by now.

"Bougherra has been linked with moves practically since he came here but we've never really had a bid for him.

"Since the start of the season both Thomson and Wilson have left us but not by necessity. Although we didn't want to lose them that was their choice as much as anything else.

"In Kevin Thomson's case it was because he was looking for a longer contract that we weren't in a position to give him."

Smith admitted he'll be pulling out all the stops to land a new player before the Champions League signing deadline on Wednesday following the Jelavic news.

He said: "Having lost Jelavic for Europe we could do with bolstering it a bit just in terms of numbers.

"I'm not talking necessarily a striker. We've players like Lafferty and Naismith who can join Miller and Beattie up front.

"We'll maybe need to look towards midfield and our backline in terms of getting people in.

"Regardless of the squad size you have, the Champions League can disrupt the early part of your season. It can have an effect if you have to play on a Tuesday or Wednesday then again at the weekend.

"We just need to make sure we keep a level of consistency domestically but obviously try to lift our Champions League performances from last season, where we weren't good enough in our home games."

Smith acknowledges Rangers have a duty to fly the flag for Scotland after seeing Celtic, Motherwell and Dundee United all crash out of the Europa League in midweek. He said: "It's an important factor that we do that if we can. We did not really manage to do it the last time we were in the Champions League.

"Even though we've a smaller group, we have a capability of going further than the last time when we came within a game of qualifying."

Despite the current difficulties he faces, Smith says he's relishing the prospect of facing old pal Sir Alex Ferguson in the Champions League - as well as Valencia and Bursaspor.

He said: "For me, Manchester United's pedigree in the Champions League is already set.

"I spoke to Alex on Thursday after the draw and going to Old Trafford will obviously be difficult.

"Manchester United have been adept at qualifying from their sections and they usually do it in a manner that doesn't really disrupt their league season. They've got that level of comfort that they can change their team - even in the Champions League.

"Remembering back to my first time here, we had the games against Leeds which started all the 'Battle of Britain' headlines. That was a bit different because it was knockout, whereas in the groups these days it doesn't have quite the same cutting edge.

"Valencia have had a good few changes to their team for the first time in the last three seasons. They're building a new stadium and I think they had to bring in somewhere in the region of £200m for that.

"They've lost four of their main players and have brought in another six or seven Spanish players.

"They'll be a different team to the one that showed fantastic consistency to finish third behind Barcelona and Real Madrid.

"I actually played against Bursaspor for Dundee United in the Cup Winners' Cup in the 70s. It's not far off the truth to say Jim McLean basically binned me after we lost over there.

"If you were drawn against Fenerbahce or Galatasaray from Turkey you'd say you faced a struggle. Bursaspor have won the league and they beat Galatasaray last week in the first game of the season.

"I'm looking forward to all the games, not just the Manchester United one."

http://www.newsoftheworld.co.uk/scottish/scottish_sport/924238/Walter-Smith-says-if-he-loses-Miller-and-Bougy-he-might-as-well-pack-it-in.html

You'd be happy with kirku and weir at cb Caldow? doh

If you watched football....

I'd be happy enough.

Unlike the gloryhunters who want all sorts of centre backs signed because "We Are Rangers".

Support should come from the heart and not the ability of the club to sign the best players.

Enough said.

You'd be happy with kirku and weir at cb Caldow? doh

If you watched football....

I'd be happy enough.

Unlike the gloryhunters who want all sorts of centre backs signed because "We Are Rangers".

Support should come from the heart and not the ability of the club to sign the best players.

Enough said.

I was alluding to the fact that Boughie likes to wander up the wing now and then. If you didn't get that, then ......I don't care. Broadfoot has already proved himself at CB.

No need to be so condescending. We can't all have your superior experience at managing Football Manager teams. :wanker:

What so you ignore the fact that Bougherra is a far better defender than Broadfoot because he takes a wonder now and then?

And when has Broadfoot proved himself at CB? For St Mirren? or for us against Celtic when McDonald turned him very easily to score the winner for that lot?

I'd be happy enough.

Enough said.

What?? That was pure drivel.

Broadfoot and Weir together would not suffice in the SPL.

We need another CB. I'd rather papac and weir at cb.

What so you ignore the fact that Bougherra is a far better defender than Broadfoot because he takes a wonder now and then?

And when has Broadfoot proved himself at CB? For St Mirren? or for us against Celtic when McDonald turned him very easily to score the winner for that lot?

What? Are you serious?

This guy had McGayday in his pocket for most of these games. In fact McGayday had to (famously) foul him to prevent a cross into the box.

The guy is not the disaster that everyone makes him out to be. But feel free to jump on the "destroy the guy's confidence " bandwagon.

What? Are you serious?

This guy had McGayday in his pocket for most of these games. In fact McGayday had to (famously) foul him to prevent a cross into the box.

The guy is not the disaster that everyone makes him out to be. But feel free to jump on the "destroy the guy's confidence " bandwagon.

I am talking about Broadfoot at CB, that is what I am talking about. You said he's proved himself at CB but all arguements that he is good at CB go out the window when you watch this:

Now I don't like to post those bastards scoring but it's only to back up my arguement.

Yes he did have that wee prick in his back pocket but that was when he was playing RB, not when he was playing CB. If you remember McGayday was a winger, so Broadfoot wouldn't be marking him if he was playing CB.

I am not faulting the guys effort, yes he is a better defender than Whittaker and I am more than happy to have him in the squad.

They way you go about having a debate is shocking and using emoticons like " :wanker: " against your fellow Rangers fans who disagree with you is pathetic. I expect more from one of us.

Can't trust him on international duty.

Shite injury record.

Looking a 'bit heavy' to say the least.

Sadly, £5m is a par price for him at the moment.

Aye sure mate... the scum got £10m for McGeady now get the fuck outta here with that £5m bullshit. £7-8m minimum for Bougherra then we'll talk otherwise fuck off!

We must hold onto our important players i.e. the core of the team players such as McGregor, Bougie, Davis, Miller. There's no time to buy replacements although it wouldnt surprise me if somebody is sold and then here the excuses there wasnt time to buy adequate replacements. If anything we're short right now, we could do with a defender and a left winger.

I am talking about Broadfoot at CB, that is what I am talking about. You said he's proved himself at CB but all arguements that he is good at CB go out the window when you watch this:

Now I don't like to post those bastards scoring but it's only to back up my arguement.

Yes he did have that wee prick in his back pocket but that was when he was playing RB, not when he was playing CB. If you remember McGayday was a winger, so Broadfoot wouldn't be marking him if he was playing CB.

I am not faulting the guys effort, yes he is a better defender than Whittaker and I am more than happy to have him in the squad.

They way you go about having a debate is shocking and using emoticons like " :wanker: " against your fellow Rangers fans who disagree with you is pathetic. I expect more from one of us.

OK I apologise for the wanking reference I made to your prior post.

But FFS should we not be supporting guys like Broadfoot?

OK I apologise for the wanking reference I made to your prior post.

But FFS should we not be supporting guys like Broadfoot?

No problem mate (tu)

As long as he is a Rangers player I will support him and that goes for every Rangers player. You are right in that respect.

I just don't think broadfoot is good enough at CB. He is better at right back. Although he isn't blessed with loads of quality, I think he is a good player to have in the squad as he can provide cover across the back four.

Ive read a fair bit of debate in this thread about Bougherra v Broadfoot, quite frankly I find that argument irrelevant. The problem, as Walter has stated on numerous occasions, is that we are short of numbers - not necceasarily quality. If Miller and/or Madjid were to leave ( and no replacements were already lined up before the deadline) we would be down to the bare bones of a squad already under pressure to remain fit and suspension free.

Smith, in my opinion, is using the media to convince the money men at Ibrox that selling players to balance the books at this moment is a false economy - investing in numbers to allow us to compete and win trophies ( and financial rewards) is the way to proceed.

As to answer the OP, Walter was asked by a BBC reporter (Chick Young?) about the status of Kenny Miller and his contract. Walter made that quote in reference to the fact that we don't have to sell any players in this current transfer window....He wasn't trying to "Put our players in the shop window" as it were. (tu)

What Smith actually said.

“We are not in the position where we need to sell,” Smith said. “We are putting ourselves into the situation where, if that was imposed on us, we would be as well chucking it, if you know what I mean. It is not going to be imposed on us, it is not going to happen.

Aye sure mate... the scum got £10m for McGeady now get the fuck outta here with that £5m bullshit. £7-8m minimum for Bougherra then we'll talk otherwise fuck off!

We must hold onto our important players i.e. the core of the team players such as McGregor, Bougie, Davis, Miller. There's no time to buy replacements although it wouldnt surprise me if somebody is sold and then here the excuses there wasnt time to buy adequate replacements. If anything we're short right now, we could do with a defender and a left winger.

The scum did NOT get £10m for McGeady, I can promise you that much.

Bougherra's only worth what people are willing to pay. He's a decent player, but his untrustworthiness and injury record will prevent us getting top dollar for him, if he should regrettably leave.