Weiss demands protection

cooper1989

Didn't take long eh? Myself and many others have posted that Vladimir would get the shite kicked out of him up here. This is what really pisses me off.

We try and attract great players -- but who in their right mind would want to play here? Credit to Vladimir though, he's a helluva lot tougher than he looks and he will be fine. But, what is his impression going to be of Scottish football? If he's asked by another loan prospect for example, is he going to recommend the SPL? He'll probably recommend The Rangers -- but with the qualifier that the SPL is f*cking brutal.

Dailyrecord...

Vladimir Weiss would like more protection from referees than he got from Callum Murray during a bruising battle with Steven Anderson of St Johnstone on Saturday.

But the Slovak insists he will toughen up to cope with the rough and tumble of Scottish football - and vowed to outsmart any SPL defender he can't outmuscle.

The 20-year-old made his first start for Rangers in the 2-1 win in front of his own fans at Ibrox.

Weiss had received plenty of plaudits after a whirlwind 25-minute spell as a sub on his debut in the win over Hibs the previous week.

But he realised on Saturday he won't always get things his own way with Saints putting up the kind of tough test so typical of sides facing the Old Firm.

As if to prove the point, it was Weiss who was booked first against the Perth men for dissent before Anderson was shown a yellow card 13 minutes from the end.

The new Light Blues star - taken off near the end - believes his own booking should never have happened and insists Anderson should have been shown a yellow card long before him.

But he hasn't been scared off by his first experience of the kind of treatment he'll get in Scotland.

He said: "I knew the Scottish league was physical and the right-back was with me the whole game. Personally, I think he should have been booked a bit earlier.

"If the referee had been a bit stricter then he couldn't have got as tight. But it was my first start and I'm going to work on the physical side. I need to be prepared for the Champions League. I felt pretty fit on Saturday, even if that was my first start in nearly a month. I will get stronger but I felt okay.

"Players trying to get tight is something I've always encountered but if I'm not as strong as them then I need to be a bit smarter. Football isn't just about strength."

Like many team-mates, Weiss is on international duty now, his father having named him in Slovakia's squad for their Euro 2012 qualifiers with Macedonia and Russia.

When he returns, Walter Smith's men face another tough test with a visit to Hamilton for a Saturday lunchtime showdown and Weiss now knows exactly what to expect.

He said: "The games are tough as the opposition is trying to impress because it's Rangers so we have to start sharper than we did on Saturday.

"We didn't expect it to be an easy game but showed we're a really strong team and came back with the help of the fans."

Miller made it five goals in just three league games with his Ibrox winner against a spirited Saints side and that strike took him to the halfcentury mark in the Light Blue of Rangers.

And Weiss already knows the importance of the Scot land frontman.

He said: "We know Kenny can score goals and he showed that once again on Saturday in a very difficult situation.

"He made a great run and it was a terrific ball in to him from Lee McCulloch."

Hang in there son.

The opposite tilt on the same quotes in today's Express. They reported that Weiss wouldn't let the rough treatment get to him. I'll try and find the article.

Cheers mate..

I think he CAN easily survive the SPL.. It's just the brutal 'tactics' that get to me...

That's hardly him "demanding" protection, but the wee man's quite right.

See it all the time in the SPL, naturaly talened players get little/no protection then the first mis-timed McCulloch or Papac tackle and they are in the book.

WEISS WARNS CLOGGERS HE HAS NO FEARS - By Iain MacFarlane

VLADIMIR Weiss last night insisted he's not scared of being kicked and won't let any SPL defender rattle him with roughhouse tactics.

The Rangers winger was given a warm welcome to Ibrox by the home support and an uncomfortable afternoon by St Johnstone defender Steven Anderson.

The Perth full-back stuck to Weiss like glue and actually had a decent game against the jet-propelled Slovakian. A couple of fouls enraged the on loan Manchester city ace and Anderson was eventually booked by ref Calum Murray with 76 minutes on the clock.

The 23-year-old Ibrox newcomer also allowed his frustrations to boil over and was booked for throwing the ball away after conceding a foul.But Weiss reckons he will learn to cope with being targeted by rivals and has the temperament to keep his cool in the heat of battle.

He said: "I obviously knew the Scottish league is physical and the right-back was with me the whole game. Personally, I think he should have been booked a bit earlier than. I was booked but I didn't even touch him. It was never a foul for me. But if the referee blows the whistle then the referee blows the whistle. There's nothing I can do.

"If the referee had been a bit more strict and the player had been booked a bit more earlier then he probably couldn't have got as tight and stuck with me for the whole game. But it was my first start and I'm going to work a lot on the physical side and everything? I need to get prepared, especially for the Champions League, for the coming season. The physical approach isn't something that frightens me."

"Players trying to get tight all the time is something I've always encountered but if I'm not as strong as them then I need to be a bit smarter.?Football isn't just about strength."

Weiss looks as if he'll be a real asset for Rangers this season with his pace on the turn and his quick feet which allow him to nip away from defenders in the first instance.

http://www.express.co.uk/posts/view/196442/Weiss-warns-Cloggers-he-has-no-fears

God help the lad when he comes up against fat Ross Tokely. Scumbag cunt that he is.

Aye.. do you remember Beasley's first game in the SPL? Tokely nearly murdered him.

I actually defend the SPL since it's better than it's reputation is... But it's guys like Tokely that are part of the problem. No issue with Big Honest Lads.. but Tokely is a joke.

Thanks KazzyTI

Yeah basically the same... Depends on how you want to look at it. Glad he knows what he's in for in a sense and has accepted the fact that he'll need to deal with it. I'm sure he can. But ffs can we not just play Football and not have to contend with mixed martial arts as well? (ok exaggerating a wee bit :-) )

Tokley is a hatchet man and nothing more. I just hope Weiss gets through any games against Inverness this season. can't wait to see him rip the pish out of Cha-Du-Whatever the cunts name is at the san Giro

Tokley is a hatchet man and nothing more. I just hope Weiss gets through any games against Inverness this season. can't wait to see him rip the pish out of Cha-Du-Whatever the cunts name is at the san Giro

Well said Tumshie. I can't believe that I read today that ra shellick 'leap' to the top of the table ! ffs!

Aye, bring it on. A Maloney dive to win 1-0 at Fir Park doesn't exactly scare me. Oh aye... and they never get any decisions in their favour?

f*ck them.

This will happen in England as well, so the lad better weiss up (:craphead:) to it. It's well known, you see a silky player, boot him in the air and he'll be quite. Happens all the time.

Agreed mate -- just seems so much more blatant up here?

But... I have 100% confidence in this lad. He will win these battles. He will emerge victorious.

As I said... Much tougher/harder than we think.

He needs to man the fuck up.

But mate, that's the point? It's not a f*cking war... shouldn't be. Weiss has admitted he will toughen up -- but ffs.. why should he? Just because Ross f*cking Tokely plays here?

This is one of the major issues at the moment. Class players are kicked off the pitch. How can we attract/keep them?

This is really getting on ma tits -- so to speak (tu)

Hmm, in the EPL it would have been expected that the manager demanded more protection. Just think how Ferguson would have reacted if everyone simply kicked Ronaldo off the pitch.

It´s a common tactic to make sure that the ref feel a pressure to keep an eye on certain players.