Can we do something in the CL?

MisterC

I have a small hunch that we may even be able off something in the CL this season. Perhaps it is just my eternal optimism in Rangers and what can be achieved thats bringing this on but I think somehow we may even be in Europe after Christmas one way or another. I have a feeling for a start that Man U are there for the taking, they are not the team they were and although they are filled with quality they also have some bottlers in there or at least players who hide and dont turn up for games such as Berbatov, Nani and Anderson. Valencia, hmmm tricky one and to be honest I'd be amazed if we got any points against them but then I domt watch Spanish football so my knowledge of them isnt what it could be. As for Bursaspor, its another fuck knows but surely this season we are due a break against one of these banana skin teams! 6 points from Bursaspor and if we can 4 points from the top 2 then we could get through.

However with the signings we have made especially Weiss I am more confident than I was last year plus I think there really is a strong team spirit there which can help a lot. Dunno why I think we can do it as theres not much evidence to suggest we have the requisite quality to compete at CL level but stranger things have happened. As well with it being Smiths last season surely it would be fitting if the football gods could grant us a decent run this season, would be a great send of to the greatest Rangers manager of the past 50 years.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd take 3rd spot right now. Bursa seem to be proving they aren't a one season wonder so it will be tough, Valencia won't be as good as they were last season although no doubt they are top quality I hope when they come to Glasgow it's pissing down and freezing.

Realistically we should be targeting 3 wins and anything else great.

The performance, ( not necessarily the result ) in the opening tie against Man Utd will be a crucial assessment of exactly what level we are at and will be an indicator of how well we will fare in the rest of the campaign.

Realistically speaking we won't be expecting 3 points from Old Trafford but nevertheless we must be confident going into the game and hope to come away if not with any points then at least with a good account of ourselves.

I believe we have the team to take a share of the points there but whether we produce the performance and have some luck on the night remains to be seen.

The worst part of it all is I am working a 12 hour night shift from 8pm that night so will have to Sky Plus it and watch it when I get in the next morning. Must be jinxed because the last time we played them I was in Bangkok for the Ibrox clash and on my way home from Phuket during the away tie so missed that also.

In every year since we first went into Europe way back in the mists of time,I've always been optimistic about us actually winning what we play for....Now, I'll settle for respectability and the last 16 in the CL.

Failing that, a spot in the "diddy cup" at the worst.

I'm not sure how Bursaspor will do in their travels, but we will have to really play to get a point off them in Turkey.

The key is what we do at Ibrox, so we have to go after at least 7 points there.

Have confidence guys. (tu):21:

To be honest I'd rather we finish 4th with no european football and concentrate on the spl than finish 3rd to struggle on in europe and possibly lose ground in the spl . I think if we're very very lucky we'll achieve 2nd spot . Here's hoping ! :21:

To be honest I'd rather we finish 4th with no european football and concentrate on the spl than finish 3rd to struggle on in europe and possibly lose ground in the spl . I think if we're very very lucky we'll achieve 2nd spot . Here's hoping ! :21:

Well even if we just make it out of the group one way or another and get knocked out next round its only another 2 games

said it before, we wont get anything from old trafford apart from a good hiding, but the other 5 games... i recon we wil get 8 points and enough to take us to 2nd. other 2 draw at each other grounds, we are laughing

Well even if we just make it out of the group one way or another and get knocked out next round its only another 2 games

In the knockout rounds it do or die and I think we could perform better under that pressure should we progress from the group . In the group stages we'll suffer if the attitude isn't spot on .