Alex Mcleish

Imodium

Big Eck speaking very fondly about his time at the club he loves. Said that although he is loving life in the EPL he would find it difficult to turn down Rangers if they came calling again in the future.

Complete gentleman and on hindsight worked wanders with the budget he had (tu)

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I never liked him when he was Rangers manager. I couldn't wait to get rid of him.

The no money excuse doesn't wash either. Most money he got he wasted it.

However, since going to Birmingham and the EPL he's finally developed into that top class manager that he should be.

I'd take him over McCoist, if it was possible.

It's funny how peoples opinions and memories change sometimes aswell. In general.

I remember before he left 3 or 4 protests outside Ibrox, very heated, chanting for his head and his daughter getting abused and reduced to tears (unacceptable) off Rangers fans in the players/members lounge.

Like some players - Beasley, Hemdani, Novo etc - people think more of them after they are long gone.

It's funny how peoples opinions and memories change sometimes aswell. In general.

I remember before he left 3 or 4 protests outside Ibrox, very heated, chanting for his head and his daughter getting abused and reduced to tears (unacceptable) off Rangers fans in the players/members lounge.

Like some players - Beasley, Hemdani, Novo etc - people think more of them after they are long gone.

Indeed, plus a lot of people choose to praise his initial Old Firm record and completely ignore his run of 7 straight OF defeats in the league

Indeed, plus a lot of people choose to praise his initial Old Firm record and completely ignore his run of 7 straight OF defeats in the league

(tu)

or the run of 10/11 games in Oct/Nov without a win. Setting an all time low Rangers record.

At the time he wasn't a good manager, but now he's ideal for us. I'd have him back in a flash.

He's top man, always comes across as a down to earth guy and always speaks very fondly of the club and fans, despite how some of the fans "aired their views" when they decided they wanted him out.

You say that like it was a minority? everyone to a man wanted him gone and rightly so.

You say that like it was a minority? everyone to a man wanted him gone and rightly so.

Not everybody wanted him out, their wasn't a lot but their was a few.

Fair enough people wanted him out, but some of the abuse him and his family took was disgusting and uncalled for.

(tu)

or the run of 10/11 games in Oct/Nov without a win. Setting an all time low Rangers record.

At the time he wasn't a good manager, but now he's ideal for us. I'd have him back in a flash.

Under current ownership, he is the best realistic option

If we ever came into money again, i'd hope we'd aim a lot higher than a man who liked to play 4-2-4 with 2 strikers on the wing and Bob Malcolm in central midfield

Hes a class act, had to work under severe restaints when he was here due to other peoples failings and mistakes. Still managed to beat MON's trophy conversion rate, did he not?

Yes he did. Something that's not always appreciated. He was up against a good Celtc team and manager, amongst the best they've ever had, and he came out on top. Like qualifying for the second stage of the Champions League, that's something Walter Smith has never done (although to be fair, he hasn't had the chance to do the former).

He did well in getting the best out of the squad left by Advocaat, but once he had to build his own squad it was hit and miss. His time was most definitely up at the end as 3rd in a two horse race is just not good enough and the pressure had got to him. Some of his excuses after games were not that of a straight thinker!

In his defence, he was extremely dignified in all his time at the club, and he told me in Manchester that he was so proud to have had the opportunity, and would love to do it all again.

One of the good guys!

He did a job and his time had come to an end, in the end he stayed longer than he should have and some of the results were horrendous, although he did give us some fantastic moments.

Alex McLeish back at Rangers - a big no for me.

Yes he did. Something that's not always appreciated. He was up against a good Celtc team and manager, amongst the best they've ever had, and he came out on top. Like qualifying for the second stage of the Champions League, that's something Walter Smith has never done (although to be fair, he hasn't had the chance to do the former).

(tu)

I thought that too although wasnt 100%. Cheers.

It's also worth noting, he took us through to the last 16 of the CL with the lowest ever points tally.

Not saying I didn't enjoy it, but people saying class act etc are going well over the top.

Up until he went to Birmingham there was a pattern with McLeish

Took over Motherwell, inherited Tommy Mclean's team, had one good season and fell away to fuck the minute he started bring in his own players and building his own team.

Same with Hibs and taking over from Jim Duffy although he had them long relegated, back up, one good season etc.

Rangers with Advocaat. Took his players and won a treble and even though there was downsizing and little money, the 2003/2004 season was a joke.

I agree with what people are saying about his conduct. Compared to clowns like O'Neill, Strachan and Lennon. Absolute gent aswell. Only met him once and I actually said to him about the bad results and he couldn't relate enough. He was hurting himself and accepted the blame and responsibility.

It's also worth noting, he took us through to the last 16 of the CL with the lowest ever points tally.

Not saying I didn't enjoy it, but people saying class act etc are going well over the top.

Up until he went to Birmingham there was a pattern with McLeish

Took over Motherwell, inherited Tommy Mclean's team, had one good season and fell away to fuck the minute he started bring in his own players and building his own team.

Same with Hibs and taking over from Jim Duffy although he had them long relegated, back up, one good season etc.

Rangers with Advocaat. Took his players and won a treble and even though there was downsizing and little money, the 2003/2004 season was a joke.

I agree with what people are saying about his conduct. Compared to clowns like O'Neill, Strachan and Lennon. Absolute gent aswell. Only met him once and I actually said to him about the bad results and he couldn't relate enough. He was hurting himself and accepted the blame and responsibility.

Have you ever met him? You say youve met him once so you should know, as a person and a man, he is a class act. Thats all i meant. My feelings on his team are totally different. He done well financially restricted, but him and Mr Bain also brought in some amount of dross. He did waste an awful lot of the little money he had.

I thought, trophy wise with what he had to work with, he done fine, but his team when he built his team, were very poor to watch.

(tu)

Have you ever met him? You say youve met him once so you should know, as a person and a man, he is a class act. Thats all i meant. My feelings on his team are totally different. He done well financially restricted, but him and Bain brought in some amount of dross. He did waste an awful lot of the little money he had.

I thought, trophy wise with what he had to work with, he done fine, but his team when he built his team, were very poor to watch.

(tu)

A couple of good seasons, a couple of shit seasons. About right.

A class act the way he conducted himself - without a doubt but never a class act manager during his Rangers reign, in my opinion (tu)