'Width doesn't win things'

Boab

No he didnt cannigia wasnt part of 9IAR unless im really confused , he was an advocat signing . I thought it was mcleish that signed him but apparently not

he means bud johnston.

another player smith didnt sign on the list.

i am not sure huistras a great example either smith didnt seem to rate him much.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Woosh....talk about missing the point!

Not one of the players you have quoted could in any way be classed as an out and out winger. Abidal and Alves are defenders! The reason I mentioned Barcelona is because as you say they have massive width, but achieve it without playing a single player who could be labelled a typical winger.

And they certainly don't play 4-4-2 either

The fail is all on your part mate

Messi and Pedro are wingers IMO.

I wouldn't class them as strikers, they're both forward players but they're not out and out strikers so I'd say they're both wingers..

I wasn't necessarily listing players Walter had bought but who Rangers had bought who had provided width and therefore went on to win things.

ah so were missrepresenting your point.

interesting.

can i list strikers or central mids smith has played wide who have won things.

:lol:

Laudrup contributed width, Caniggia, McCann, Bud Johnston who won in Europe, Huistra, Kanchelskis with us among many others who have gave us width while we won things and not including other players who have gave width to other top teams.

Silly statement.

Not to mention Mark Walters & Dale Gordan.

ah so were missrepresenting your point.

interesting.

can i list strikers or central mids smith has played wide who have won things.

The term is 'width' and not who has played wide, if the latter was the case then we'd list Lee McCulloch who only went down the line twice and when he did - whilst playing wide for Rangers - made 2 goals but other then he didn't provide width for example. Don't know enough about Wigan to comment.

The term is 'width' and not who has played wide, if the latter was the case then we'd list Lee McCulloch who only went down the line twice and when he did - whilst playing wide for Rangers - made 2 goals but other then he didn't provide width for example. Don't know enough about Wigan to comment.

ah so why list wingers

I thought it has been well documented that Walter does not believe in width and never has been.Jim McLean used to ridicule him for his believes.

Laudrup played in a free role in the time he was with us,Huistra totally left foted played on theright to cut inside.

Any width in 9 in a row came from one full back with the other full back invariably a central defender. Durie a central striker did give a glimpse of width upfront at times but Walter tended and still does prefer to narrow the game even, against all tradition, when opponents are down to 10 men which more than proves the point.

I thought it has been well documented that Walter does not believe in width and never has been.Jim McLean used to ridicule him for his believes.

Laudrup played in a free role in the time he was with us,Huistra totally left foted played on theright to cut inside.

Any width in 9 in a row came from one full back with the other full back invariably a central defender. Durie a central striker did give a glimpse of width upfront at times but Walter tended and still does prefer to narrow the game even, against all tradition, when opponents are down to 10 men which more than proves the point.

i thought so to. seems i am wrong. doh.

very much a fan of italian football is our walter.

Messi and Pedro are wingers IMO.

I wouldn't class them as strikers, they're both forward players but they're not out and out strikers so I'd say they're both wingers..

Messi is not a winger

Pedro isn't really one either - any more than Naismith is when he playing wide.

The point I'm trying to make is that teams like Barcelona achieve a lot of width by using attacking players who can play in a variety of positions, plus defenders who can actually cross the ball.

Apparently that doesn't work in Scotland though - whenever Smith uses players like Lafferty, Naismith, Fleck etc in wide positions he's an idiot who "doesn't like wingers" and is playing these players out of position.

Jelavic is a prolific headerer of the baw. The first brilliant headerer of the baw since Hateley. We'd be daft not to add width and crosses to our game now.

My god thats it! thats why weiss hasent been playig n the right because jelavic has been injured and there isnt anyone else 2 cross it to to header it in :craphead:

Jelavic has scored 1 header since he signed and suddenly he's the best header of the ball in almost 15 years? FFS ! What about de boer? Prso?

We need to drop our expectations of jela till he gets back amongst the goals. Some ppl are going overboard.

Jelavic has scored 1 header since he signed and suddenly he's the best header of the ball in almost 15 years? FFS ! What about de boer? Prso?

We need to drop our expectations of jela till he gets back amongst the goals. Some ppl are going overboard.

i tend to agree with that.

hes played six games and has aquired some legendary skills.