"He's not Rangers class"

God i hate the transfer windows, every 2nd or 3rd thread is about Rangers apparently signing this guy or that guy, some have decent basis others are just made up after a bevvy session.

But what gets me most is when potential genuine targets are immediately put down because they "arent Rangers class", "never good enough to wear the Rangers shirt" etc etc.

The recent one tonight is Inverness' Adam Rooney, a guy who has managed 11 goals in the SPL this season, yet without giving it any thought there are a few on here that would say no to this boy without even seeing the deal.

Firstly he has 6months left on his deal, so he wont be expensive, secondly he wont command a high wage, not yet anyway, and lastly, HE HAS SCORED 11 SPL GOALS THIS SEASON

He is joint 4th in the scoring charts behind Miller and Sammon, and the player he has tied with is David Goodwillie, another apparent Rangers target.

So what else does the guy have to do to warrant a shot at a bigger club????

People on here need to remember that our club is working under tight financial constraints, the playing wage budget has been slashed, and likely we have spent all transfer budget bar what we get for Miller. we cannot expect massive signings anymore.

The Jelavic signing, for all the player he is, was a one off now, and possibly a mistake if you look at the weaknesses in other areas of the team, there wont be anymore 4 million quid signings unless we get into the champions league group stages, even then we'll probably struggle to do that again.

The fact is our main creditors have placed us a strict financial budget, one which will likely see the club post no more losses for the forseeable future, and i for one am very very happy at this.

And i would love Rangers to take a chance on a guy like Adam Rooney, cheap option that has done it in our current league, look at Scott McDonald for a prime example of how it can be done.

Kevin Kyle is another that gets massive criticism whenever he was mentioned on here last season, now he is spearheading a strikeforce thats only 5 points behind us, 7 off the top of the league, and currently have only lost 1 game since we beat them last year i believe. Kyle has 7 goals to his name this season, plus a few assists no doubt, and like it or not he is a bloody handful to ANY SPL defence.

We need to get real folks, Miller has left, so who would you put your money on scoring more goals for Rangers by the end of the season, Beattie/Lafferty or a guy like Rooney/Kyle/Goodwillie who will be desperate to make a name for themselves at a club of our stature.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not against us signing Scottish SPL players.

But you need to be careful. For every Ian Ferguson or John Brown, you'll get a dozen Gavin Rae's, Kirk Broadfoot's, Richie Foster's, Ian Murray's etc.

You also need to watch that some SPL players are just going through purple patches. There's been hundreds through the years that's looked a player for half a season or a season, then they turn pish and it's just been one extended patch of form.

Regardless of what Goodwillie is being accused of, I'd still have him in the starting line up with Jelavic week in week out. If we don't get him it'll go down as a missed opportunity.

That phrase would have been acceptable when we had guys like Gazza, Laudrup, McCoist, Hateley, McCall... but not in our current group of players.

I understand that we won't be making any marquee signings for a while but we could be doing a lot better than signing someone like Adam Rooney and Kevin Kyle.

The only players I would take from the SPL are David Goodwillie and Margaro Gomis.

rangers class is a myth, when somebody says that such and such a player is not rangers class i laugh because what is rangers class, is it somebody who gives it all for the jersey ie puts a 100% into his shift, or is it somebody who's scoring goals for fun and nothing else?

everybody even top class players have their off days

I'm not against us signing Scottish SPL players.

But you need to be careful. For every Ian Ferguson or John Brown, you'll get a dozen Gavin Rae's, Kirk Broadfoot's, Richie Foster's, Ian Murray's etc.

You also need to watch that some SPL players are just going through purple patches. There's been hundreds through the years that's looked a player for half a season or a season, then they turn pish and it's just been one extended patch of form.

aye but we arent spending anything on them mate.

Broadfoot has probably been worth what he's been paid when you think about it, you dont have a UEFA runners up medal and 2 league title medals for nothing, Foster slotted in okay, a far better player to have than velicka

Even if it is a purple patch these guys are having, they are a cheap option that can be moved on for what we got them for, but no one will know if it is a purple patch or not until we take a chance on them

There's a massive difference between Rangers class, and Rangers price range unfortunately, yet some fan just cannot understand that

look at our dealings with motherwell for mcdonald, we didnt offer enough, the beggars then did, he went there and scored a shed load of goals, including a fair few in europe and massive games that took them to 3 titles in a row.

That phrase would have been acceptable when we had guys like Gazza, Laudrup, McCoist, Hateley, McCall... but not in our current group of players.

I understand that we won't be making any marquee signings for a while but we could be doing a lot better than signing someone like Adam Rooney and Kevin Kyle.

The only players I would take from the SPL are David Goodwillie and Margaro Gomis.

is Gomis not able to sign a pre-contract agreement now?im sure i heard this sum where :21:

Adam Rooney has scored the same amount of goals for, on paper at least, a weaker SPL team than goodwillie

As for kevin kyle, i struggle to think of ANY defender in the SPL right now that can handle him, look at how commanding that big nugget ross tokely was the other night, yet when hearts played ICT Kyle gave it as good as he got, and tokely looked half as good as we made him look

If a player is no better than what we already have, 'not Rangers class' is a reasonably apt description

So how would you class an 11 goal so far this season striker

To me adam rooney is miles better than beattie, and probably lafferty

has lafferty even scored 11 goals for rangers since he joined?

aye but we arent spending anything on them mate.

Broadfoot has probably been worth what he's been paid when you think about it, you dont have a UEFA runners up medal and 2 league title medals for nothing, Foster slotted in okay, a far better player to have than velicka

Even if it is a purple patch these guys are having, they are a cheap option that can be moved on for what we got them for, but no one will know if it is a purple patch or not until we take a chance on them

There's a massive difference between Rangers class, and Rangers price range unfortunately, yet some fan just cannot understand that

look at our dealings with motherwell for mcdonald, we didnt offer enough, the beggars then did, he went there and scored a shed load of goals, including a fair few in europe and massive games that took them to 3 titles in a row.

It's a fair point and one I essentially agree with.

On a side but related issue, It's probably footballs biggest mystery how someone like Broadfoot has a UEFA Cup Final losers medal and a couple of SPL winners medals. Maybe I'm being un fair on him. Just using him as an example.

I think there's some decent players in the SPL at the moment. But I'm just weary of spending what little money we do have on some sub-standard SPL player going through nothing more than a vein of form for the sake of it.

Your point about McDonald I agree with. Would have loved to have seen him at Ibrox, but we couldn't stump up another 100 grand if I remember right.

So how would you class an 11 goal so far this season striker

To me adam rooney is miles better than beattie, and probably lafferty

has lafferty even scored 11 goals for rangers since he joined?

I highly doubt he's a better footballer than Beattie, though it would make sense for us to get Beattie off the wage bill and replace him with a younger player on the fraction of the wage

For me, the term 'Rangers class' means the player is as good as our best players. If a player is nowhere near as talented as McGregor, Weir, Bougherra, Davis, Weiss, Jelavic, then he's not amongst the class of player we should be striving for.

Adam Rooney has scored the same amount of goals for, on paper at least, a weaker SPL team than goodwillie

As for kevin kyle, i struggle to think of ANY defender in the SPL right now that can handle him, look at how commanding that big nugget ross tokely was the other night, yet when hearts played ICT Kyle gave it as good as he got, and tokely looked half as good as we made him look

Although Rooney has scored a decent amount of goals in the SPL I don't think he is good enough to play for us. Plus he is from Dublin :pipe:

And just because Kyle is dominant in the air surely that does not make him good enough? Until he went to Killie his goalscoring record was horrific.

I agree, If we lose out on Goodwillie in this window, we will NEVER get him. He is that special striker we need to finish our attack. The boy Rooney is good, but I feel he has found his level. Goodwillie with the right players helping him (Naisy, Laff, Jelavic and experience of Beattie), the type of coaching from Coisty and McDowell would make him world class in a year or so. He could easily be the next top Scot. I posted the other night there of how this charge reeks of pape. Another set up of the Greegz proportions. More chance of HIM gettin raped in Armadale than the other way about?

I liked the look of fleck and jelavic the other night, with big laff wide. They are a wee bit short on match time, but i reckon naisy/fleck could be a great foil for the 2 big lads.

Another discussion from a big buddy of mine tonight how, Wee Davis is ALWAYS man of the match when played wide right with Whittaker behind him, and whittaker also plays a blinder??

GET GOODWILLIE NOW!!!!!!!!!

Although Rooney has scored a decent amount of goals in the SPL I don't think he is good enough to play for us. Plus he is from Dublin :pipe:

And just because Kyle is dominant in the air surely that does not make him good enough? Until he went to Killie his goalscoring record was horrific.

but how much would kyle have cost us this season, and then compare that to james beattie

i want beattie to be successful, but when you see that hearts got a proven SPL targetman for nothing, and likely on a low wage, and we paid 1mill for beattie and probably on double what kyle is on, it makes you wonder why?

I agree, If we lose out on Goodwillie in this window, we will NEVER get him. He is that special striker we need to finish our attack. The boy Rooney is good, but I feel he has found his level. Goodwillie with the right players helping him (Naisy, Laff, Jelavic and experience of Beattie), the type of coaching from Coisty and McDowell would make him world class in a year or so. He could easily be the next top Scot. I posted the other night there of how this charge reeks of pape. Another set up of the Greegz proportions. More chance of HIM gettin raped in Armadale than the other way about?

I liked the look of fleck and jelavic the other night, with big laff wide. They are a wee bit short on match time, but i reckon naisy/fleck could be a great foil for the 2 big lads.

Another discussion from a big buddy of mine tonight how, Wee Davis is ALWAYS man of the match when played wide right with Whittaker behind him, and whittaker also plays a blinder??

GET GOODWILLIE NOW!!!!!!!!!

where is goodwillie going to go? haven't you read the papers?.hope it doesnt happen, but his career could just about be over

It's a fair point and one I essentially agree with.

On a side but related issue, It's probably footballs biggest mystery how someone like Broadfoot has a UEFA Cup Final losers medal and a couple of SPL winners medals. Maybe I'm being un fair on him. Just using him as an example.

I think there's some decent players in the SPL at the moment. But I'm just weary of spending what little money we do have on some sub-standard SPL player going through nothing more than a vein of form for the sake of it.

Your point about McDonald I agree with. Would have loved to have seen him at Ibrox, but we couldn't stump up another 100 grand if I remember right.

Re-KB

The reason he has achieved what he has(you forgot international goal-scorer)is he is dedicated(hired personal trainer),has self-belief,thick skin,gives 100% every game and above all really appreciates the opportunity we gave him.

If certain other players (past&present) showed similar attributes how much better could we/they have become.

(tu)

ps Would still pick SW ahead of him ;)

broadfoot and foster have actually been ok this season. foster is the fastest player we have and can play everywhere on the pitch if needed.

broadfoot is a scary defender but in the CL he was pretty good

i also saw someone mention fyvie. he is actually pish. and hes out injured till the end of the season.