Kris Common

Celtic gazump Rangers for Derby winger Kris Commons

By Stephen Mcgowan Last updated at 12:01 AM on 26th January 2011

* Comments (0)

* Add to My Stories

Celtic are set to complete an audacious move for Scotland winger Kris Commons after gazumping arch-rivals Rangers last night.

The Parkhead side have claimed victory in an Old Firm tug-of-war after swaying the 27-year-old Derby County player with a wage offer in excess of £20,000 a week.

Ibrox manager Walter Smith opened the bidding on Monday by authorising chief executive Martin Bain to make an offer worth £500,000 after add-ons.

In a dramatic twist, however, Celtic entered the race yesterday afternoon with a £300,000 counter bid and a wage offer which forced Rangers - handicapped by savage Lloyds Bank constraints - to concede defeat.

Derby County would prefer Commons joined Rangers but were last night resigned to accepting Celtic's lower offer rather than lose one of their star performers for nothing.

Commons, capped six times for Scotland, has refused to accept a Derby offer of £15,000 a week to sign a new contract. Rangers were prepared to divert the £20,000 a week paid to former top scorer Kenny Miller for the rest of this season, but were forced to accept that paying that kind of sum from next season could become impossible unless the club is bought over.

Increasingly frustrated by Lloyds' handling of Rangers finances, Smith was last night resigned to losing Commons, having admitted earlier in the day: 'He's someone we would be interested in trying to get. We have made an enquiry and are in talks with Derby to see what the situation is with him.

'It's important, with us having a small squad of players, if we do get a player in that he can play in more than one position. Kris can do that.

'He's in exactly the same position that Kenny Miller was in last week, where his contract expires at the end of the season.

In demand: Conor Sammon

In demand: Conor Sammon

'I don't do the deals. Martin Bain carries out that job. He was in discussions with them (Derby) this morning.'

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1350363/Celtic-gazump-Rangers-Derby-winger-Kris-Commons.html?

wtf paying 20,000 a week from next season is not gonni be possible that quote is saying. so basically we need to sell greegs bougie and davis then if thats the case <cr>

Guest therabbitt

Miller's "£20k" - £22k I believe including bonuses - was being 'diverted' into £14/15k for Commons and the rest for a defender on loan.

why the fuck did Derby accept 300k after we had offered 500k if that stories true <cr> jst dont let them negoatiate with the taigs to buy him now and we would have gotten him before the scum

Right

I'm sounding out the battlecry !!!!

These bastards have finally made me blow my top with this latest transfer, everytime we go for someone those cunts are in for them too

LETS DO THESE BASTARDS RANGERS !!!!

Every supporter now , get behind the team regardless of who's playing and roar them on to send Lennon and his gang to the job centre !

It will be even sweeter now after what's been going on and if we win the league , sorry when we win , we can watch them squirm over their finances getting worse and worse and the mutants calling for every ref to be fired

And to kris commons, go fuck yourself you slimy no neck fat toad !

No fucking surrender

Miller's "£20k" - £22k I believe including bonuses - was being 'diverted' into £14/15k for Commons and the rest for a defender on loan.

I wonder who we could have got with the remaining budget; Andrew Considine, Barry Douglas

Guest therabbitt

I wonder who we could have got with the remaining budget; Andrew Considine, Barry Douglas

£6/7k a week? I don't know, Hermann Hreiðarsson might not have been wide of the mark...

I don't believe for a second that Celtic have had a bid of 200k less accepted. That would be financial management at a staggeringly poor level from Derby! Why on Earth would they accept £200k less from our biggest rivals. They would be in an incredibly strong position to negotiate the same deal they accepted from us. Only a complete moron would accept a lesser bid from Celtic.

He was out of contract in 6 months, Derby were in the same position as we were with Miller.

Commons was allowed to talk to anybody Derby had no say in this part, Celtic have jumped in offered him more wages and he's rejected us. Leaving Derby with no choice to accept £200k less.

I don't believe for a second that Celtic have had a bid of 200k less accepted. That would be financial management at a staggeringly poor level from Derby! Why on Earth would they accept £200k less from our biggest rivals. They would be in an incredibly strong position to negotiate the same deal they accepted from us. Only a complete moron would accept a lesser bid from Celtic.

Exactly they seem to have fucked their own story a bit there <cr> even if they were to offer him a pre contract on those wages i still think he would come here now rather than wait 6 months and go to them.

Right

I'm sounding out the battlecry !!!!

These bastards have finally made me blow my top with this latest transfer, everytime we go for someone those cunts are in for them too

LETS DO THESE BASTARDS RANGERS !!!!

Every supporter now , get behind the team regardless of who's playing and roar them on to send Lennon and his gang to the job centre !

It will be even sweeter now after what's been going on and if we win the league , sorry when we win , we can watch them squirm over their finances getting worse and worse and the mutants calling for every ref to be fired

And to kris commons, go fuck yourself you slimy no neck fat toad !

No fucking surrender

dont sit on the fence big man!

:lol: