Aberdeen fans at Hampden

It's not a proper union flag though? Isn't it red, white and black? Not sure but I think it could be for their hooligan firm. When Hibs came to Carlisle for a friendly last summer, they had one aswell, that was green, white and black, that was really surprising! :lol:

Are you watching in Black and White :D

The flag I saw had the same pattern as the Union Flag, but it was predominantly red.

It was a Union flag, but one of them red and white ones to match the Aberdeen colours?

I see Motherwell and Hibs fans with them too.

I hear people saying it's mocking the union flag and others say they are still promoting the union flag in their own way.

There's a Rangers one they sell at games too. Same idea.

It's not a proper union flag though? Isn't it red, white and black? Not sure but I think it could be for their hooligan firm. When Hibs came to Carlisle for a friendly last summer, they had one aswell, that was green, white and black, that was really surprising! :lol:

It will depend on your interpritation.

Especially as Rangers and Hearts have blue & white and maroon & white designs, respectivly - and they aren't afraid to fly the Union flag.

It will depend on your interpritation.

Especially as Rangers and Hearts have blue & white and maroon & white designs, respectivly - and they aren't afraid to fly the Union flag.

Yeah, I've only ever seen that flag when they play Celtic so could it have something to do with winding the tims up?

It was a Union flag, but one of them red and white ones to match the Aberdeen colours?

I hear people saying it's mocking the union flag and others say they are still promoting the union flag in their own way.

It happens in England too, Sunderland and Newcastle have their own designs in their club colours.

It's just as legitimate/normal for them to have a Union flag as it is to wave a Scottish flag as far as I'm concerned. Sometimes Scottish/British nationalists seem to claim a monopoly on these things - i.e. they assume that the only people who ever wave Union flags are British nationalists - but at the end of the day it's still just the flag of the country we all live in.

It's just as legitimate/normal for them to have a Union flag as it is to wave a Scottish flag as far as I'm concerned. Sometimes Scottish/British nationalists seem to claim a monopoly on these things - i.e. they assume that the only people who ever wave Union flags are British nationalists - but at the end of the day it's still just the flag of the country we all live in.

Ermm, yes. I know that.

Ermm, yes. I know that.

You know that, yet you created a thread saying you were surprised to see it? Fair enough.

Point I'm getting at is that there shouldn't be anything political about waving a union flag. We might associate it with our club and Celtic might associate themselves with Irish nationalism, but for other teams it shouldn't be that way. For some reason in this country a lot of people have come to the conclusion that waving a Scottish flag is normal, but waving a union flag makes you some sort of extreme British nationalist.

You know that, yet you created a thread saying you were surprised to see it? Fair enough.

Point I'm getting at is that there shouldn't be anything political about waving a union flag. We might associate it with our club and Celtic might associate themselves with Irish nationalism, but for other teams it shouldn't be that way. For some reason in this country a lot of people have come to the conclusion that waving a Scottish flag is normal, but waving a union flag makes you some sort of extreme British nationalist.

:lol:

I'll simplify a bit as your seriously over complicating things here.

It was very surprising to see Aberdeen fans have a union flag at Hampden. They would be the last lot I'd expect.

However, it's a sad day when you need to be plesantly surprised at people flying the flag of their own country.

You trying to tell me you weren't surprised in the slighest at the thought of some Aberdeen fans having a union flag at one of their matches? seriously? <cr>

:lol:

I'll simplify a bit as your seriously over complicating things here.

It was very surprising to see Aberdeen fans have a union flag at Hampden. They would be the last lot I'd expect.

However, it's a sad day when you need to be plesantly surprised at people flying the flag of their own country.

You trying to tell me you weren't surprised in the slighest at the thought of some Aberdeen fans having a union flag at one of their matches? seriously? <cr>

I think you're looking for an argument where there isn't one here - it's just a point of discussion and I know exactly what you're saying. You're saying that because Aberdeen are closer to Celtic than us, it's surprising that they would have a union flag (something that's associated with us).

What I'm saying is that there's a difference between football and politics. They (and other clubs) might want Celtic to win the league more than us, but that doesn't mean they have any link to the political drivel that comes from Celtic fans. Really the only club that buys into that nonsense is Celtic.

I think you're looking for an argument where there isn't one here - it's just a point of discussion and I know exactly what you're saying. You're saying that because Aberdeen are closer to Celtic than us, it's surprising that they would have a union flag (something that's associated with us).

What I'm saying is that there's a difference between football and politics. They (and other clubs) might want Celtic to win the league more than us, but that doesn't mean they have any link to the political drivel that comes from Celtic fans. Really the only club that buys into that nonsense is Celtic.

I'm not saying anything of the sort, mate.

Why is it surprising then?

They are the most pro-Jacobite, anti-English, Tartan Army type fans I've ever encountered.

As I said, it shouldn't be something to congratulate them on (flying their own countries flag) however, it's still surprising to me.

It's not a Union Flag though, no more than the Ikurriña is.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ikurri%C3%B1a

I don't think they know that for one minute.

Same way as the blue equivilent that's sold outside Ibrox, people want it because it's a Union flag design.