talksport ( i think)

skinnymate1690

this really baffles me

smith was asked if he was think about making a sub late on for a change in tactics or fresh legs , and his answer was basically no as he didnt think there was anyone on there who could have really changed things .

a bench with naismith fleck bartley healy and hutton .

maybe he didnt mean it to come out that way but to me he is basically saying he had no faith in the players on the bench.

if none of these guys could have done a better job ( in smiths eyes ) in the last 15-20 mins than anyone of the starting 11 who were fcucking knackered by this point , then why are they with us

Thats a Fucking Joke what a kick in the Teeth to the lads on the Bench that is. If he thought that none of these players could change the game for us then why the hell did he select them for the bench?

He picks the team and the subs so ultimately he is saying that he hasnt got a clue?

Thats a Fucking Joke what a kick in the Teeth to the lads on the Bench that is. If he thought that none of these players could change the game for us then why the hell did he select them for the bench?

He picks the team and the subs so ultimately he is saying that he hasnt got a clue?

Your right.

If that's what he said in the aftermath then he's lost the plot.

He doesn't realise that we don't need to change the game at 1-0 - we need to freshen it up and maintain it.

Smith absolved striker Kyle Lafferty of blame for squandering two good opportunities to bury Sporting, saying: ‘I don’t think Kyle’s chances were easy. They were outside the box, he was running through, and they would have been difficult for any striker to finish.

‘After getting the goal, those were the two real attacks when we had a chance to impose ourselves again.

‘We are a bit disappointed with how we played in the first half. I didn’t feel that our possession of the ball was as it should have been.

‘But I thought we played very well in the second half, up until we scored. Then we allowed Sporting too much of the ball – and that culminated in losing a goal near the end, which is obviously disappointing.

‘I don’t think there was any change I could have made that would have made a great deal of difference to the game.’

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1358156/Rangers-insist-Europa-League-dream-alive-despite-late-setback-Sporting-Lisbon.html#ixzz1EGqBViqc

Smith absolved striker Kyle Lafferty of blame for squandering two good opportunities to bury Sporting, saying: ‘I don’t think Kyle’s chances were easy. They were outside the box, he was running through, and they would have been difficult for any striker to finish.

‘After getting the goal, those were the two real attacks when we had a chance to impose ourselves again.

‘We are a bit disappointed with how we played in the first half. I didn’t feel that our possession of the ball was as it should have been.

‘But I thought we played very well in the second half, up until we scored. Then we allowed Sporting too much of the ball – and that culminated in losing a goal near the end, which is obviously disappointing.

‘I don’t think there was any change I could have made that would have made a great deal of difference to the game.’

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1358156/Rangers-insist-Europa-League-dream-alive-despite-late-setback-Sporting-Lisbon.html#ixzz1EGqBViqc

i thought he said it slightly different from that , but that still shows no faith in the player imo

It is baffling to say the least, even trying out Fleck or Naismith or Healy up front, changing the holding midfielder, but at 1-0 he just thought fine we'll hang on and hold this and you're just asking for trouble doing that.

Walter has always been a fairly defensive minded, sort of dull grampa type person but some of the comments hes making nowadays does actually have me wondering if he's going senile.

I also wonder, sitting way up there in the stand he doesnt really contribute much anymore from the sidelines and he looks bored half the time they show him.

I think he meant any subs would have been like for like replacements without changing the pattern of the game.

Still doesn't explain why he thinks fresh legs wouldn't have been a boost late in the game, I think I had more influence on the game than edu for example.

hope no one missed the fact that their two subs came on and made and scored the goal against us. Fresh legs woukd have made a difference last night, even if we had not changed how we were playing.

I had a quid too on 3-0 with whittaker first goal. We defo had this score in us last night but big flafferty gubbed us and me too. Odds were 235/1.

Naismith injured and not risked

Bartley and Healy would not have made a difference

Hutton , Fleck youngsters

healy and bartley would have made a difference imo fresh legs to replace edu and lafferty

hutton and fleck , just because they are youngster doesnt mean they cant have an impact

Naismith was basically injured and was never going to be risked. The only option was reshuffling the formation and adding Bartley into a back five (that would have made more sense if the idea was to sit in and hold out). Sticking with the formation and sitting deep didn't make much sense... but if we won 1-0 there would have been a helluva lot less criticism of the coaching staff.

The players on the pitch need to take a large portion of the blame I reckon.

To me it looks like folk are trying to find something to get mad about in what Walter said.

What I take from it is that the players on the bench if he made a change it would have been like for like, and other than fresh legs would have changed nothing. Plus when's sub comes on there is a period of time in him getting up to speed.