Rangers mentioned on Coast

Briton

Saw this last night. Neil Oliver held up the sports page of a 1970's edition of The Record that was about Jock Wallace using Murder Hill to train Rangers. Don't think he mentioned JW by name, just (Glasgow :mad:) Rangers. They also showed an amateur side torturing themselves on the hill. It's on BBCi Player if anyone's interested.

A few of our players could do with a session or two at Gullane nowadays...

Being a local lad, I've done a bit of pre-season at Murder Hill myself in the distant past. Could do with visiting again... ;)

(tu) not this season obviously, it'd kill them, but the preseason training fro 2011/12 should be like a boot camp to get the fuckers into shape.

Can remember going to watch Rangers train in Gullane, must've been around 83/84 or 84/85.

Got to meet Davie Cooper, Ally McCoist, Robert Prytz, Davie MacPherson and the rest of the team. Jock Wallace scared the life out of me.

Was the highlight of my 8 year old life.

Can just remember sitting at the top of the hill watching all the players knacker themselves trying to run up it. Can't imagine it even being allowed these days sadly.

To be fair the sand on the hill itself is really deep in places so the chance of injury when coming back down must be a bit higher than by using normal training methods.

Pummelling players up and down sandy slopes isn't scientific enough nowadays in any case.

And there's no spa for the players to slip into - just the less than warm waters of the Forth... ;)

A few of our players could do with a session or two at Gullane nowadays...

Being a local lad, I've done a bit of pre-season at Murder Hill myself in the distant past. Could do with visiting again... ;)

I'll hold your coat. ;)

I can remember being gutted when they put the gorse buses at the top. Used to be able to take a big running jump right off the top of the dune.

I saw a few leg breaks on that hill.

To be fair the sand on the hill itself is really deep in places so the chance of injury when coming back down must be a bit higher than by using normal training methods.

Pummelling players up and down sandy slopes isn't scientific enough nowadays in any case.

And there's no spa for the players to slip into - just the less than warm waters of the Forth... ;)

Science schmience. If James Beattie had done a few sessions at Murder Hill he could be doing a job for us right now.

Ask Big Tam Forsyth, it was more about the mental toughness of beating the hill than the physical. Once Jock had you conditioned to beat the hill, you would run through brick walls. Military training. Mind over matter. Although in fairness he said he was sick a few times on it too lol.

Great Book for Gers fans with a soft spot for the well. He lived in the same village as me when I was growing up. Great Man. Well loved and respected in the community.