Busman'sHoliday For Regan

D'Artagnan

Might I suggest SFA Chief Executive Stewart Regan undertake a Busman’s Holiday this summer across the border to the heady heights of the English FA. (For those unfamiliar with the term a Busman’s Holiday is - A vacation during which one engages in activity that is similar to one's usual work.)

Were he to do so, perhaps Scottish football would be spared the humiliating scenario of our match officials going on strike and, one football club and their warped sense of paranoia, dictating the agenda for Scotland’s match officials. (I will return to the latter later in this article..... for to suggest Celtic FC are dictating the agenda for Scotland’s whistlers, is a fairly serious assertion)

You see our English counterparts know how to deal with football managers and clubs who “cross the line” with regard to their criticism of match officials. And credit where its due to the English FA - they seem to care not (nor more appropriately... fear) who the offending individual or club is – this morning, the most respected manager at the biggest club in England found that out the hard way with Sir Alex Ferguson receiving a 5 match touchline ban and a £30 000 fine for criticism of referee Martin Atkinson.

Contrast this with Regan’s mishandling of Celtic’s criticism of referees in Scotland which was regular, sustained and persistent. Even after Reid “promised” to draw a line under the matter at the Celtic AGM the criticism continued in newspapers articles during interviews with Celtic players.

Eventually of course something have to give and with Regan failing to protect the integrity and credibility of Scotland’s whistlers from the persistent criticism within Parkhead Scotland’s whistlers silenced their whistles for a week in extraordinary strike action.

Where the English FA have demonstrated they will not tolerate the undermining of match officials by anyone, Regan would appear to have cowered with fear in the face of Celtic FC’s constant barrage of criticism. Where the English FA have given clear, unequivocal leadership and taken action, Regan on the other hand has prevaricated and been unable to demonstrate an ounce of leadership, or to present himself as any kind of knight to champion those officials he has a duty to defend.

But alas it does not end there. After the last OF game Martin Bain commented...

“The dismissal of three Rangers players and the extraordinary number of bookings we believe is a matter for the Scottish Football Association’s disciplinary process. We should point out that in recent matches between the two teams the number of bookings and sendings-off has been unremarkable.There has been extensive criticism of referees and the SFA this season and we are now questioning the impact of that criticism."

Too right you should question the impact of that criticism and the failure of Regan to take any action Martin – the stats tend to suggest that the questions you are asking have much merit.

You see this Celtic team who have vilified Scotland’s officials have some amazing statistics. Opponents are more likely to be sent off playing against Celtic than any other team in the SPL. More alarmingly of the 10 players sent off against Celtic, 9 of them have received red cards since Celtic’s claims of refereeing bias.

And as for Celtic officials claims that Rangers enjoyed the more favourable decisions in OF games then answer me this – in the last 7 weeks seven red cards have been shown to Celtic’s opponents, 4 of which have been to Rangers players alone.

Its quite clear that this dramatic turn around coupled with the distinct lack of action by the SFA show which football club are driving the agenda in Scotland.

We are all paying the price for Regan’s cowardice and incompetence.

Let’s hope he catches the next available bus.

Great post D'Art.

While you are sending this article via email to mr Regan, please send a CC to Messrs Bain, Johnston and Murray and inform them that their attention is required in this matter...Starting with the Alistair McCoist appeal against a sentence that should be thrown out immediately.

Regan is in my opinion, a fuckin wimp and somebody who is totally out of his depth.

Scary Stats yet they still peddle thier paranoid pish. We really need to get someone like Findlay back at our club asap. I once read that Lawell was thier best signing since Larsson..not a truer word said. We need a backbone, and fast.

You see our English counterparts know how to deal with football managers and clubs who “cross the line” with regard to their criticism of match officials. And credit where its due to the English FA - they seem to care not (nor more appropriately... fear) who the offending individual or club is – this morning, the most respected manager at the biggest club in England found that out the hard way with Sir Alex Ferguson receiving a 5 match touchline ban and a £30 000 fine for criticism of referee Martin Atkinson.

The above section of the OP was because Ferguson insinuated that Atkinson was a cheat. Lennin turned around and without being a top class lip reader you can clearly see him call Dougie Macdonald a "fucking cheat"

As d'art says in England reputations count for nothing and everyone from Conference South managers to SAF are hammered for bringing the game into disrepute. Up here its a disgrace.

On a side note i see Diouf and Bougherra will not be facing disciplinary action untill the 12th of April. What an absolute shambles. Nearly 2 months after the incident.

The above section of the OP was because Ferguson insinuated that Atkinson was a cheat. Lennin turned around and without being a top class lip reader you can clearly see him call Dougie Macdonald a "fucking cheat"

As d'art says in England reputations count for nothing and everyone from Conference South managers to SAF are hammered for bringing the game into disrepute. Up here its a disgrace.

On a side note i see Diouf and Bougherra will not be facing disciplinary action untill the 12th of April. What an absolute shambles. Nearly 2 months after the incident.

Anyone think they will get bans and miss the last OF as that is the week the split fixture come out.

And another manager has come out this morning and "questioned" the decisions given against them when playing Celtic. Not only that but he basically calls them diving cheats without actually coming out and saying it.

Loovens gives away a penalty and denies ICT a goalscoring opportunity. Not only is he not sent off but isn't even booked.

Mike Tumilty being the man in question who has given a few "debatable" decisions recently.

And another manager has come out this morning and "questioned" the decisions given against them when playing Celtic. Not only that but he basically calls them diving cheats without actually coming out and saying it.

Loovens gives away a penalty and denies ICT a goalscoring opportunity. Not only is he not sent off but isn't even booked.

Mike Tumilty being the man in question who has given a few "debatable" decisions recently.

If you had extremist nuts wanting you to favour them in your job, against all rules and regulations, or there could be serious personal safety implications to you and yours, what would you be like?

I can't stand Tumilty or most refs tbh, but it can't be easy being under the jackboot of Shamrock Fascism.

OP fwd to:

HUGH.MACDONALD@HERALDANDTIMES.CO.UK, MICHAEL.GRANT@HERALDANDTIMES.CO.UK, Graeme.Macpherson@heraldandtimes.co.uk, George.Peat@scottishfa.co.uk, Stewart.Regan@scottishfa.co.uk

No replies as yet however Hugh MacDonald has replied to previous emails but I won't be holding my breath...

OP fwd to:

HUGH.MACDONALD@HERALDANDTIMES.CO.UK, MICHAEL.GRANT@HERALDANDTIMES.CO.UK, Graeme.Macpherson@heraldandtimes.co.uk, George.Peat@scottishfa.co.uk, Stewart.Regan@scottishfa.co.uk

No replies as yet however Hugh MacDonald has replied to previous emails but I won't be holding my breath...

Wasting your time with Grant, Regan and probably MacPherson as well.

Let's look at his tenure objectively and compare it to the first 6 months of Smith's reign.

Both made mistakes and both made PR gaffes which in Smith's case saw him slaughtered by all and sundry especially the wee fat bully that is Jim Traynor.

Now correct me if i am wrong here but in the few short months that Regan has been in the job he has presided over one disaster after another.

From the continuing pandering to Celtic to the referee's strike to the farce that is Lennon's bans and legality of them.

Take those 3 and then dissect them and look at the amount of mistakes he has made in each scenario and it is clear to see the man is just not cut out for the job.

So why no criticisms in the media and why no calls to resign?

OP fwd to:

Sent.

Let's look at his tenure objectively and compare it to the first 6 months of Smith's reign.

Both made mistakes and both made PR gaffes which in Smith's case saw him slaughtered by all and sundry especially the wee fat bully that is Jim Traynor.

Now correct me if i am wrong here but in the few short months that Regan has been in the job he has presided over one disaster after another.

From the continuing pandering to Celtic to the referee's strike to the farce that is Lennon's bans and legality of them.

Take those 3 and then dissect them and look at the amount of mistakes he has made in each scenario and it is clear to see the man is just not cut out for the job.

So why no criticisms in the media and why no calls to resign?

And a lot of procedural failures and mistakes which have allowed certain parties to get off on the proverbial "technicality"