STV Football years this Friday.1992/3

Budswiser

For me it brings back nothing but frustration. That was the best chance we will ever have of getting to the European cup final. The fates definitely conspired against us that year Cheated by Marseille although they had some team when you look at who they had and I dont think Hateley and McCoist played together in any of the group games.

I think we would have done Milan If we had got through.

Nisbets goal and being gutted at not getting into the final. Was the first European campaign of Rangers I saw as well as my family werent big on football, first Marseille game my dad switched over for the news at 9 we were two nil down, had to wait until after to find out we drew 2-2 and I didnt even get to see the goals!

I posted this a few weeks ago and will say it again;

I watched the DVD of this season recently and before the Marseille away game Walter is interviewed on the pitch by Gabriel Clarke and claims "at the end of the game we'd probably be happy with a draw"

A match where victory would've put us into the European Cup final, and Walter Smith claimed he'd be happy with a draw (which left us relying on Marseille to drop points in their final game)

I posted this a few weeks ago and will say it again;

I watched the DVD of this season recently and before the Marseille away game Walter is interviewed on the pitch by Gabriel Clarke and claims "at the end of the game we'd probably be happy with a draw"

A match where victory would've put us into the European Cup final, and Walter Smith claimed he'd be happy with a draw (which left us relying on Marseille to drop points in their final game)

Didn,t see your post but dont doubt what you say if its on record. Thing is I dont remember Wattie being defensive in his first stint and he knew we had to win that last game to have any chance. I remeber Ally missing a stack with his head that Hateley would have buried, turned out it didnae matter. Maybe the mists of time have faded my memory but I remember going to the home games and feeling we had a chance of getting to the final as we were excellent in the away games. Happy days.

Aye was only just born - but my dad always tells the story of when Durrant scored in Marseille of screaming so loud that I woke up and didn't sleep for the rest of the night - to say my mum was angry and my dad couldn't care less is an understatement

Lynby, Huistra

Nisbet and that bounce v Brugges

McSwegan header v Marseille

Hateley, McCoist and Goram breaking Leeds hearts.

Durrant smash against Marseille in Velodrome

Rudi Voller :praise:

Marseille getting caught cheating, did they not draw with the Russians, then next game take 6 off them? <cr>

We drew with Moscow at home costing us a place in final i think

Remembering it should have been our year

:(

Lynby, Huistra

Nisbet and that bounce v Brugges

McSwegan header v Marseille

Hateley, McCoist and Goram breaking Leeds hearts.

Durrant smash against Marseille in Velodrome

Rudi Voller :praise:

Marseille getting caught cheating, did they not draw with the Russians, then next game take 6 off them? <cr>

We drew with Moscow at home costing us a place in final i think

Remembering it should have been our year

:(

Na mate we had to win and hope that Marseille didn,t. They had already took six aff CSK at home and they beat them over there so it wouldn,t have mattered. But with a wee bit of luck and a wee bit less bribing. it could have been our turn.

Stand corrected It was a draw with CSKA and Marseille in the first game. I was getting mixed up with them winning their last game but it was obviously against Brugge. : :thumbup:

Na mate we had to win and hope that Marseille didn,t. They had already took six aff CSK at home and they beat them over there so it wouldn,t have mattered. But with a wee bit of luck and a wee bit less bribing. it could have been our turn.

Cool mate, cheers. Should have been our turn.

(tu)

Didn,t see your post but dont doubt what you say if its on record. Thing is I dont remember Wattie being defensive in his first stint and he knew we had to win that last game to have any chance. I remeber Ally missing a stack with his head that Hateley would have buried, turned out it didnae matter. Maybe the mists of time have faded my memory but I remember going to the home games and feeling we had a chance of getting to the final as we were excellent in the away games. Happy days.

The 92/93 season was the last year under Walter in Europe where we genuinely had a go. He always talks about how we were too attacking in his first spell but the reality is that after Hateley left, we almost always played 5-4-1 in Europe

Standard European mid 90s line up was

Goram

Cleland McLaren Gough Petric Robertson

I.Ferguson Gascoigne McCall

Laudrup

Durie or McCoist

That was the best Gers team ive ever saw, 44 unbeated, and to be honest we were cheated out of the final, i felt Marseille were their for the taking, and over the both games they certainly didnt outplay us.

I remember reading Smith felt something dodgy was going on with their results and made sure we took over all our own food and water.

Durrant scored a screamer in that game in France, i still have it on VHS taped for the tv when it was on live!!

Shame i cant watch it im in south america :-(