Qatar could be stripped of 2022 World Cup in wake of corruption allegations

H72

Corruption at FIFA?! You must be joking! That would never happen...

Sepp Blatter says Qatar could be stripped of 2022 World Cup in wake of corruption allegations

May 20, 2011 3:18PM

AUSTRALIA'S World Cup bid dream could be re-ignited after FIFA boss Sepp Blatter admitted there could be a re-vote for hosting rights of the 2022 tournament.

Qatar was controversially awarded the 2022 World Cup over a handful of countries including Australia in December last year despite a FIFA report which cast doubts over the tiny Gulf nation's ability to stage the football extravaganza.

But in light of a FIFA inquiry into claims made by UK newspaper The Sunday Times that there was corruption in the vote, Blatter told the Press Association that while the idea of the 2022 being reheld was "alarming", it had received major support and was "circulating around the world".

Football Federation Australia officials were due to discuss the matter at a pre-arranged board meeting in Sydney today. Comment was being sought from FFA.

Australia received just one vote from the FIFA Executive Committee, with the United States finishing runner-up to shock bid winner Qatar.

It has been alleged by The Sunday Times that two Ex-Co members took bribes of $1.5 million each to vote for Qatar.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/soccer/sepp-blatter-says-qatar-could-be-stripped-of-2022-world-cup-in-wake-of-corruption-allegations/story-e6frey4r-1226059751597

What a complete farce. The chances of Sepp Blatter of all people actually taking a look at the corruption involved in that bid is slim to none - seeing that he was likely involved in it. Absolute scumbag of a man. This is the same guy who ridiculed other countries for speaking out against the bid.

Qatar is the same size as bloody Fife. It takes an hour to drive from the top of the country to the bottom. There's also the small case of homosexuality being illegal there and the fact that they fail to recognise the Jewish state of Israel. Hmm. It seems like a perfectly good place to host the World Cup.

EDIT: K. I made a mess of it. England didn't bid for this one. On your way, Ben.

Imagine the egg on their face if they had to strip Qatar of the WC and give it to Australia or the US or something. I don't think that there's any chance of that happening though. Too many invested interests. They'll hope that people forget about this so they can sweep it under the rug

Corruption at FIFA?! You must be joking! That would never happen...

What a complete farce. The chances of Sepp Blatter of all people actually taking a look at the corruption involved in that bid is slim to none - seeing that he was likely involved in it. Absolute scumbag of a man. This is the same guy who ridiculed other countries for speaking out against the bid.

Qatar is the same size as bloody Fife. It takes an hour to drive from the top of the country to the bottom. There's also the small case of homosexuality being illegal there and the fact that they fail to recognise the Jewish state of Israel. Hmm. It seems like a perfectly good place to host the World Cup.

England should have won it.

I agree England should have won it - although holding it in Fife.....hmmm now there's an idea!

Pretty hard for England to win it mate.

They didn't even go for the 2022 bid :pipe:

*waves fist vigorously in an angry manner for Ben's pedantic tendencies*

he might pursue it if only to try and discredit that Bin Hammam guy thats running against him for the FIFA presidency

i might be wrong but i think Hammam was involved in the Qatar bid and is from Qatar

slightly off topic.... somebody posted earlier in the thread that Qatar doesnt recognise Israel,, what would happen if Israel qualified for the world cup in 2022??

that would be funny as fuck

he might pursue it if only to try and discredit that Bin Hammam guy thats running against him for the FIFA presidency

i might be wrong but i think Hammam was involved in the Qatar bid and is from Qatar

slightly off topic.... somebody posted earlier in the thread that Qatar doesnt recognise Israel,, what would happen if Israel qualified for the world cup in 2022??

that would be funny as fuck

Apparently, they'd be willing to let them play and other Israeli athletes have performed in Qatar in the past.