The Greatest Team Ever

Well, apparently Alex Ferguson just said they are the best team his Man Utd have ever faced so draw your conclusions from that.

He should be very grateful that it wasn't the Ajax of '71-73 his team was facing then.

And whilst Messi is very good indeed (in that bracket with Zidane, Platini, Baxter, Netzer and the like) he's no Cruyff. But then no one is.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

He should be very grateful that it wasn't the Ajax of '71-73 his team was facing then.

And whilst Messi is very good indeed (in that bracket with Zidane, Platini, Baxter, Netzer and the like) he's no Cruyff. But then no one is.

I don't think Messi-Cruyff is a valid comparison really. Totally different players. Xavi and Iniesta probably have more in common with Cruyff than Messi, in terms of their tactical intelligence, and even they are totally different. It's a cliche but the Messi-Maradona comparison is still the most valid one going, and it'll never be settled to the satisfaction of everybody so let's just say he's the most talented player of his generation, up there with the likes of Zidane, Platini, Baxter and Netzer as you say, and be done with it.

For my money everybody on the pitch was secondary to an absolutely perfect performance by a litte-respected, much loathed man called Sergio Busquets, who surely came of age tonight as the greatest defensive midfielder on earth.

I enjoy watching a game of Football like the next person, and the way Barca play is something I've never seen before.

But I can't fathom how people on here get so wrapped up in it.

I can't speak for anybody else but I love the game of football. Yesterday I watched the 1989 European Cup final. The full 90 minutes. Just for the hell of it, like you would a good movie.

Barca fanboys = :anguish:

Aye they are good.

But they are nothing on Rangers. :h34rt:

Aye well, I'm as much a Barca "fanboy" as anyone (whatever that means) but I agree with this statement. Nothing matches the Rangers :21:

I can't speak for anybody else but I love the game of football. Yesterday I watched the 1989 European Cup final. The full 90 minutes. Just for the hell of it, like you would a good movie.

I can appreciate that, my comment wasn't aimed at you or anything. Just a generalisation that on this forum, outwith the obvious OF divide, the Real & Barca argument seems to infuriate people the most :lol:

I don't think Messi-Cruyff is a valid comparison really. Totally different players.

And that makes the point, Jamie. Cruyff was the most glittering star in a team that gave us total football - the idea that any player could perform any role in any position and do it to the highest standard.

Cruyff had everything in his locker you might get from Xavi or Iniesta, but he could also deliver everything I've seen from Messi. And more.

I believe Messi is a great player and may well yet elevate himself into the very top bracket including Cruyff, Maradona and Pele. We shall see. Meanwhile I'm going to continue enjoying watching the wee wizard - a feast for the eye!

that has to be the biggest pile of shit that i have ever read on the internet ! you obviously know fuk all about football you plonker !

And that makes the point, Jamie. Cruyff was the most glittering star in a team that gave us total football - the idea that any player could perform any role in any position and do it to the highest standard.

Cruyff had everything in his locker you might get from Xavi or Iniesta, but he could also deliver everything I've seen from Messi. And more.

I believe Messi is a great player and may well yet elevate himself into the very top bracket including Cruyff, Maradona and Pele. We shall see. Meanwhile I'm going to continue enjoying watching the wee wizard - a feast for the eye!

Cruyff was, alas, before my time but I've watched enough of the Ajax and Netherlands teams featuring him to know what he was about and he was probably the greatest marriage of intelligence and technique the world has or will ever see but one thing is for sure - Cruyff will never win a world cup while Messi just might :) Now of course, it doesn't matter what Messi wins in terms of trophies, those who have seen enough football to have seen those he will be compared to will be able to make a call on whether or not he surpasses their abilities and achievements, but it should be enough to consider him in their company. The fact that there is at least a serious argument about Messi's place in the all-time pantheon is a credit to him in itself. Nobody since the likes of Pele, Beckenbauer and Cruyff - not Zidane, not Ronaldo, not Maradona - was spoken about in the same way as Messi at the age of 23.

Cruyff was, alas, before my time but I've watched enough of the Ajax and Netherlands teams featuring him to know what he was about and he was probably the greatest marriage of intelligence and technique the world has or will ever see but one thing is for sure - Cruyff will never win a world cup while Messi just might :) Now of course, it doesn't matter what Messi wins in terms of trophies, those who have seen enough football to have seen those he will be compared to will be able to make a call on whether or not he surpasses their abilities and achievements, but it should be enough to consider him in their company. The fact that there is at least a serious argument about Messi's place in the all-time pantheon is a credit to him in itself. Nobody since the likes of Pele, Beckenbauer and Cruyff - not Zidane, not Ronaldo, not Maradona - was spoken about in the same way as Messi at the age of 23.

If Messi can deliver at a World Cup, he'll have earned his place amongst the greats. And I mean deliver to the extent that you have a sense that this one player is not just capable of lifting the whole team to a higher level, but might just do it without them if they cannot.

I've only really known three in my life - Cruyff, Maradona and Pele. Its thrilling to think there might be another amongst us. And as a fan of this most beautiful game, it's a privilege to have been able to watch these icons.

Messi also has a major advantage to ease his passage that none of the three ever had - the chance to play without butchers intent on savagery as the last resort.

If Messi can deliver at a World Cup, he'll have earned his place amongst the greats. And I mean deliver to the extent that you have a sense that this one player is not just capable of lifting the whole team to a higher level, but might just do it without them if they cannot.

I've only really known three in my life - Cruyff, Maradona and Pele. Its thrilling to think there might be another amongst us. And as a fan of this most beautiful game, it's a privilege to have been able to watch these icons.

Messi also has a major advantage to ease his passage that none of the three ever had - the chance to play without butchers intent on savagery as the last resort.

(tu)

Asked my Grandad(84) about these topics.

He said he couldn't pick the greatest team ever but this Barcelona side are up there with the great Brazil side and the Real Madrid side that won 5 European cups in a row, when I asked him if the Ajax side of the seventies were up there he said they were too much of a one man team to be the greatest.

On the greatest ever player he said that Messi is up there with Pele and Puskas already and the big thing to remember is that Messi is still young.

Always like hearing the oldies views on these sort of subjects. :D

Its all about opinions tho.

They absolutly embarased english football and proved they are the best team in the world.

I am 20 so i cant say if they are they best ever but i can say they are by far the best in my lifetime.

I said before the game that there would only be one winner and i was correct.

when I asked him if the Ajax side of the seventies were up there he said they were too much of a one man team to be the greatest.

Its all about opinions tho.

The Ajax team that included the likes of Suurbier, Blankenburg, Krol, Haan, Neeskens, Muhren, Rep was a one man team? I understand only too well that Cruyff eclipsed them all, but that team was over-brimming with sensational players.

Anyway, my opinions is one thing, the evidence of their brilliance is there for anyone who cares to seek out the best of them all.

Greatest team I have ever seen. Hardest working team I have ever seen as well. They are absolute class.

Xavi, Iniesta and Messi are the best footballers (bar Brian Laudrup) that have ever played football.

And for everyone with a pair of eyes it's clear La Liga surpassed the premiership long, long ago.

On what terms?

I'm not disagreeing - I prefer to watch a La Liga game over an equivalent Premiership game - but to assert that it's a clear fact is a bit wrong.

Greatest team I have ever seen. Hardest working team I have ever seen as well. They are absolute class.

Xavi, Iniesta and Messi are the best footballers (bar Brian Laudrup) that have ever played football.

For a team built around smooth passing and possession football their workrate without the ball is tremendous. A couple of observations I've made from watching them over the past few games;

If they lose the ball, the two or three players who are closest to it will chase it down for around five seconds, then if they don't win it back during that short spell of intense pressure they'll fall back into their defensive shape and resort to traditional defending.

The short passing game they play means that on the odd occasion they do lose the ball, they already have at least two players within ten yards of the player in possession, so the high pressure they apply seems much more immediate than it otherwise would be.

Xavi looks like a waiter.

It is entirely conceivable that in the future Messi will be remembered in the way Cruijff was, with Iniesta and Xavi remembered with the same status as Haan and Neeskens were

I think that's a stick on. I thoroughly enjoyed their display last night - all the more because my wife's face was a picture of disdain :D

Messi, however, also needs to step up to the plate at a World Cup tournament to seal his place at the top table with the very greatest.

But people being smug about Man Utd taking a hammering today is ridiculous they are more than capable of beating Barca, just like Inter did last year.

Yep - but they need better players. I was frequently irritated by that tit Tyldesly last night and his inane ramblings about 'cracking the code'. Inter succeeded where Man Utd failed because Inter had players that the special one could rely on to deliver the tactics and standard of play required.

So many in Man Utd's team last night performed like rabbits in the headlights. I felt particularly sorry for Giggs - the game seemed to flash past him for the greatest part. And whilst talented, hard-working players like Valencia, Park and Carrick will get you so far, they didn't look capable at any point of dealing effectively with Xavi, Iniesta, Villa and Messi. Let alone matching their skills or out-playing them.

If Man Utd could add quality like Sneijder and Modric we might have a different story next time around.