Atlanta Thrashers to be relocated to Winnipeg

As some of you may have seen, I used to have an Atlanta Thrashers signature. They were the NHL ice hockey team I had followed for 3 years.

Today they were bought by a group called True North and pending NHL board of governors approval, will be relocated to Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada.

Imagine how those fans in Atlanta are feeling? Could you imagine one day going to see The Rangers and the next, someone has bought them and is moving them somewhere else?

Sadly, that is how North American sports sometimes works.

I dont get it, the guy that bought them is the richest man in Canada? Why cant he buy a local team or build a new one? Or was it their position in the NHL he wanted to purchase?

I dont get it, the guy that bought them is the richest man in Canada? Why cant he buy a local team or build a new one? Or was it their position in the NHL he wanted to purchase?

I don't think they were economically viable anymore, it was getting to expensive to run the team. Winnipeg lost their original team to Phoenix, who are now being ran by the NHL.

TG - I haven't decided yet, I became a huge fan of some of the players - Byfuglien, Kane, Little etc.. I even have a Kane jersey. So I will likely follow the new team.

Eck - Yeh, they had to purchase a team that was already in the league. For a long time it looked like they would buy the Phoenix Coyotes(who may still move), but the league did a lot to save that team. They appear to not have done much to save Atlanta.

CB - They haven't decided on a name yet. It appears the owners aren't keen on that name, but there is massive support from the fans for that name.

Also got to think about all the people that will be losing their jobs. As far as I'm aware only the players with contracts are guaranteed to be retained. Coaches, GM's etc... even though they have a contract, aren't guaranteed to be kept on.

Then look at the families what will have to move. For those that don't know, Atlanta is in southern USA with a very nice climate. Winnipeg is in Canada, with a very cold climate. It's quite isolated aswell. Not everyone is going to want to move there.

I'm glad this sort of thing doesn't happen over here.

I could see how the idea is ridiculous but it's just different over here and it had to be done. The city of Atlanta was going to have to pump in 50 million dollars in order to keep the team nobody really wants another year. This is best for most parties in the long run, since the Canadian dollar went up Winnipeg have been fighting to get a team back and Atlanta are losing millions every year.