We'll Only Buy At The Right Price.

PaulRFC1

McCoist, however, remains upbeat and is confident of progress being made before he takes his team on tour to Germany next week.

“On the transfer front we had a good meeting yesterday,” he said. “We obviously have a list of targets which we have prioritised and we are looking to push forward with them.

“There will be disappointments, players we want who we won’t get – that’s part and parcel of the game. But I just want the punters to know we have a very good list of possibilities and targets that we will be going for in the very near future.

“We are working very hard to get new players in. And we will succeed because Craig and I both know we have to build up a squad to retain the championship and hopefully to attain a reasonable level in the Champions League.

“That’s our targets. But we don’t have to start pressing any panic buttons just because no-one has arrived as yet.

“The perfect example from last season was the signing of Nikica Jelavic. That deal was on-off four or five times before thankfully we got it over the line. That turned out to be a tremendous piece of business.

“So transfers can take a little bit longer than everybody hopes. But I would just reassure the fans that we are heading in the right direction. We have targets and hopefully we’ll get a few in.”

Although he would much rather have money to work with than not, McCoist does admit having a new owner and fresh money does have its problems.

“I think there is an element of people thinking we are flush with money now,” said the Ibrox boss. “But we can be no different from any other club in the respect that we must get value for money.

“We will not spend money needlessly or carelessly. There is no doubt that a lot of transfers are a slight gamble, but the secret is to minimise the gamble as much as you can and we will certainly not be held to ransom. I think it is safe to say – though I’m not 100% sure – that Conway and Danns probably went for more money.

“I’ve got an on-going relationship with Craig, but I think he is an intelligent man, and a very, very good businessman. So that would indicate that he won’t be held to ransom, which I would be in total agreement with.”

Read the bold bit.

READ IT ! its basically a reply to most people on here, especially the bit were our fans think we are flush with money.

Ally and Whyte are right in what they are doing and the way they are going about it.

http://www.eveningtimes.co.uk/sport/editor-s-picks/ally-mccoist-we-ll-only-buy-at-the-right-price-1.1108936

Didnt see this posted anywhere so hopefully it isnt a repost.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

And £2mil for a young proven Scottish goal scorer isn't getting "value for money." <cr>

Goodwillie is not half as good as the majority of our fans believe. If we hadn't been linked with him for the last 2 years or so, would be all think so highly of him? i think not. He is a good player yes, but he is the best of a mediocre bunch. Both Naismith and Jelavic are better than him, thus i see no point in buying him for a substantial amount of money. £2 mil can buy a really good striker if we look in the right places, and tannadice is not that place

And £2mil for a young proven Scottish goal scorer isn't getting "value for money." <cr>

goodwillie got 17 goals all last season in the SPL

connor Sammon got 15 and he fucked off in january :lol: , hell even micheal higdon got 14 and he is worse than some junior level footballlers

goodwillie isnt a "proven goalscorer" and certainly with his current off-field situation isnt worth 2million

goodwillie got 17 goals all last season in the SPL

connor Sammon got 15 and he fucked off in january :lol: , hell even micheal higdon got 14 and he is worse than some junior level footballlers

goodwillie isnt a "proven goalscorer" and certainly with his current off-field situation isnt worth 2million

(tu) According to most on here you become a proven player after 1 decent season

agreed

adam rooney scored 2 goals less than goodwillie playing for an obviously worse team (tu)

and he's on a fucking bosman as well

but oh no, lets spunk 2 million quid on someone that could very well get banged up in the near future :lol:

Goodwillie is not half as good as the majority of our fans believe. If we hadn't been linked with him for the last 2 years or so, would be all think so highly of him? i think not. He is a good player yes, but he is the best of a mediocre bunch. Both Naismith and Jelavic are better than him, thus i see no point in buying him for a substantial amount of money. £2 mil can buy a really good striker if we look in the right places, and tannadice is not that place

We definitely need a striker imo. I don't consider Naismith one - so that would really only leave us Jelavic and Lafferty that are good enough (again, my opinion). With the money being thrown about for very average players down south, I can't see us signing a 17 goals a season striker for less than £2mil.

I'm definitely not having a go at Whyte/McCoist. It's nice to see us actually rejecting bids for players, and not letting clubs hold us to ransom, but I'm getting a bit frustrated at missing out on reported targets / not offering contracts or making bids despite making our interst public. Pre-season starts soon and the season in less than a month. It would be nice to get some players in before then.

It's not the fact I think he's brilliant I'd be pissed if we didn't get him. It's that we're going to lose him to a club that have been interested for a week when our interest has been public for a year (give or take). Jelavic scored 17 goals and had 1 decent season before we signed him... still paid twice the reported fee Dundee Utd want for Goodwillie.

Anyone that thinks we're flush with money is, quite frankly, an idiot.

It's just the apparent dragging of heels with every transfer that's become so common with us that irritates me.

I just don't get why Goodwillie signed a new contract at the end of the season, I'd say he's worth £1.5 million and Fleck on loan.

I also wouldn't panic as most half decent players looking to play CL football may become available nearer the last few weeks of the window and this is when we must use our lure of Europe to our advantage. If we can get a few additions to appease the nervous fans in the mean time great as long as they enhance the squad.

are we going to get this every single day? we have a champions league qualafier in a few weeks time, we need the players in before that to give them time to gel, so far its the same players that ally has set his sights on, whats the point in going for goodwillie if utd are not going to drop there evaluation of their player (they have every right) same goes for carlos, not wanting to pay the 3 million quid for him, players not wanting to sign because we can hardly string a wage packet together.

not worried yet