We Will Get The Best Out Of Fleck

cantona

Rangers coach Ian Durrant: We will get the best out of starlet John Fleck, you haven't managed it so far Ian, what will be the new approach.

JOHN FLECK was given Ian Durrant's old No.10 shirt at Rangers last season - but failed to live up to the tag of talented Ibrox playmaker.

Durrant, now the Light Blues' first-team coach, is adamant though the 19-year-old WILL fulfil the potential he showed as a Murray Park kid and play a major part in Ally McCoist's new-look team.

Fleck burst on to the first-team scene as a 16-year-old under Walter Smith but injuries and loss of form have curtailed his progress and Durrant accepts he may have had too much, too soon.

However, the Ibrox legend insists the midfielder is now ready to flourish and blamed the Gers coaching staff for not nailing him to a regular position.

Durrant said: "If John's fair to himself, he'll admit he has tailed off a bit. But he'll get there with hard work.

"We see it every day in training, the level of ability he's got. He has maybe just lost his way a bit.

"But we also have to look at ourselves because we have to pin down a position for him. He's been used wide left, right and in the hole.

"John is still young, he's not even 20 yet. I'd love him just to come on and explode in a game because the talent is there. We will get it out of him.

"If we get him fit he can be a big player for us. We have to keep his head right and we don't want to lose him.

"Breaking into the first team is easy, the hard part is staying there and producing consistently good performances.

"Maybe John did get too much too early but he was good enough to play at 16 and 17. Do you hold him back then lose him?

"He's played a lot of games for the first team at such a young age. Maybe he hasn't always been pleasing on the eye but he has definitely contributed to the success we've had.

"He was unlucky last season. We lost him to injury in pre-season and he was chasing his tail after that."

Fleck, along with team-mates Jamie Ness, Gregg Wylde and Kyle Hutton, is among the best batch of youngsters Durrant has seen at Rangers.

Defender Danny Wilson was another who came through the ranks at the same time before sealing a £2million move to Liverpool last year.

Durrant watched these kids at 15 and knew instantly Gers were on to a winner. Now he has urged Ness, Wylde, Fleck and Hutton NOT to follow Wilson out of Ibrox.

He said: "I take a lot of satisfaction from seeing the young boys come through.

"You always want to rear your own and I was lucky to be involved in their recruitment when I worked in the youth department. I don't like to show it to them but I'm proud as punch when I see them play at Ibrox.

"I knew when we signed them the level of young player we were getting. What I didn't expect was for them to play so many games this early in their Rangers careers.

"Out of that group I knew we'd get three or four who could be real stalwarts for Rangers.

"It's unfortunate Wilson made up his mind to go and has found it hard at Liverpool. That's maybe a lesson for some of the other boys.

"Most of them have signed long-term contracts. Wylde is just about to commit as well so the future here looks quite rosy.

"Danny took the opportunity to move but the grass isn't always greener. I was disappointed at the time because I thought he could have been a superstar here.

"This group of young players is one of the best at Rangers in many years."

http://www.<No links to this website>/football/spl/rangers/2011/07/03/rangers-coach-ian-durrant-we-will-get-the-best-out-of-starlet-john-fleck-86908-23244186/

m8 daily record is a joke when celtic failed to sign there new hitman "petter lawwell will not be fucked about" or did celtic just not want to spend the money only 230k more ???????

david goodwllie set to snub rangers how the hell can he snub us when we have no even talk to him yet

the scottish sun aswell

Good to hear, but as with everything else at the moment, talk is cheap and we need to see the proof. I would love to see all those mentioned given extended runs in the side but the early signs from McCoist don't look too promising. Hopefully Durrant can have a big influence on him.

m8 daily record is a joke when celtic failed to sign there new hitman "petter lawwell will not be fucked about" or did celtic just not want to spend the money only 230k more ???????

david goodwllie set to snub rangers how the hell can he snub us when we have no even talk to him yet

the scottish sun aswell

I really don't care what the DR says, I am more interested in the quotes attributed to Durrant and the slant they have on the future of the team. This is a Rangers matter, it has nothing to do with celtic or anyone else.

I really don't care what the DR says, I am more interested in the quotes attributed to Durrant and the slant they have on the future of the team. This is a Rangers matter, it has nothing to do with celtic or anyone else.

Some find it easier to bring the scum into it in an attempt to deflect from the matter being discussed.

I can't wait to see john get a decent run in the team, IMO he has more footballing ability than both Hutton & Wylde put together, He just lacks a bit of cofidence which to be fair you can't really blame him for due to the support the majority of our fans give him when he puts a foot out of place.

I would love to see John Fleck establish himself this year. I think a lot of people got carried away with the hype but we need to remember that he is still a teenager.

He has looked best in the hole behind Jelavic and I think this might be where the Management have him marked for.

I've been disappointed with the level of unrest that the current transfer situation has attracted. I understand that numbers are short but I have to think that some people need to relax a bit as the market is driven, not by us, but by the English and European leagues which all start later than ours.

Some of the insults and insinuations levelled at the new Owner and Manager have been pretty thoughtless.

:jelavic:

I would love to see John Fleck establish himself this year. I think a lot of people got carried away with the hype but we need to remember that he is still a teenager.

He has looked best in the hole behind Jelavic and I think this might be where the Management have him marked for.

I've been disappointed with the level of unrest that the current transfer situation has attracted. I understand that numbers are short but I have to think that some people need to relax a bit as the market is driven, not by us, but by the English and European leagues which all start later than ours.

Some of the insults and insinuations levelled at the new Owner and Manager have been pretty thoughtless.

:jelavic:

We should never stand still. There are numerous teams across Europe who have made signings outwith the official window.

We KNOW he has the ability. He showed it when he was given a run of games just behind the striker the season before last.

No matter what anyone says being switched from position to position hasn't helped him at all.

I really do think he can be a cracking wee player when hes played just off the striker.

Wayne Rooney is terrible on the left wing too

You cannot write off Fleck when there's only been one occasion in his entire Rangers career where he's started more than 1 game in a row in his natural position (around January 2010 time when he played 2 or 3 matches behind Lafferty during an injury crisis)

You cannot write off Fleck when there's only been one occasion in his entire Rangers career where he's started more than 1 game in a row in his natural position (around January 2010 time when he played 2 or 3 matches behind Lafferty during an injury crisis)

Spot on. We don't need a utility man in every fucking position of the team.

You don't need to be standing in your natural position to be able to control a football though.

You don't need to be standing in your natural position to be able to control a football though.

On the evidence of the last few years, controlling a football hasn't been that much of a priority. Hopefully all that will change under McCoist.