Whittaker Isn't Worth A New 5 Year Deal

jadums

Am i the only one who thinks Whittaker should not have got a 5 year deal on a higher salary?

In games against decent quality opposition he is one of our weakest links. He cant defend, he gets caught to high up the pitch, his first touch is lacking. His goals per season for a RB was aweseome a couple of seasons ago.

Now he doesn't score much and if he does its penalties. We could do alot worse but i think its time we started afresh with atleast a new LB or a RB. Nothing against Whittaker i just dont see him as a main player for the champs. Tbh i prefer Broadfoot!

Duration i dont have a problem with, he is just coming into his prime. His salary, is none of our business. Like it or not he is a main player and he does and can score goals, more than most defenders.

Obviously he scores more than most RB's but take away his penalties and compared to a few seasons ago hes scored like a 1/4 of the goals he did score. I remember some awesome goals from whittaker on a regular basis but not anymore.

Imo Whits has got better each year his versitillity is priceless to our small squad. I know many people on here don't rate him but we have him tied up as he is entering his prime. Also this allows us to command a decent fee should any other clubs come calling.He was never quoted as saying he wanted to leave. He was vital imo last year and I for one think he deserves this deal I imagine he could almost double his new offer by holding out for Bursa. He hasn't he is committed Ally want him people should get off his back.

Duration i dont have a problem with, he is just coming into his prime. His salary, is none of our business. Like it or not he is a main player and he does and can score goals, more than most defenders.

Obviously he scores more than most RB's but take away his penalties and compared to a few seasons ago hes scored like a 1/4 of the goals he did score. I remember some awesome goals from whittaker on a regular basis but not anymore.

The team didnt play well last year, especially the defence, not just Whittaker. We done a hell of a lot of defending last season, maybe thats part of the reason he didnt score as many.

He may not see out all of his 5 year contract and we may get a decent fee further down the line.I am happy for Whittaker and McGregor to sign new long term deals.Steven Whittaker can probably play anywhere in the back line and midfield and do a good job for us.I think he has been training hard and gotten stronger and fitter and we should have him at his peak.Perhaps if David Weir(no offense love the guy) is not in the back line we may see a more attacking Whittaker.

The team didnt play well last year, especially the defence, not just Whittaker. We done a hell of a lot of defending last season, maybe thats part of the reason he didnt score as many.

We racked up 93 points last year! There were a few blips for sure but it was a testing year and The Rangers came up trumps.

Spot on mate. (tu)

We racked up 93 points last year! There were a few blips for sure but it was a testing year and The Rangers came up trumps.

Look at the standard of opposition though, fans were moaning right through the season at how poor the football was from us. 90% of match threads were dominated by moans and groans despite us winning. :) We finished very well, but before that it was extremely poor and pretty boring.

I dont rate him at all as a defender but as long as he's a Ranger he'll have my support. Not too concerned about the length of his contract as he won't be our 1st choice RB for another 5 years..................

I also have my doubts about him from a defending point of view but at least Whyte is putting his money where his mouth is and thats good for morale.The past few weeks have been torture on here from the doom-mongers.

I am sick off these threads, some rangers fans can never be happy, Get a grip ffs

If your sick of these threads don't read them. Who says im not happy? We just tied up a player on a 5 year deal we have recieved 3 bids for from a financially superior club which means we can command a good fee for him in the future. I have an opinion yeh, but why wouldnt i be happy? Im just not glad that we are offering a bumper 5 year contract to a player that should have been offered at most a 3 year deal. Im off for tea now.

I like Whittaker, he's well worthy of a new deal, 5 years is fine, hes only just turned 27 last month and it now means if he leaves we can expect a good transfer fee, I'd reckon 4 mill, but we have him for his peak years and i totally believe keeping the core of this squad together is a good thing, why break up a side of champions?

Am I happy with how the negotiations went and how is agent acted? No, but I do believe Whittaker is a key part of our side and I'm not convinced there's a better right back in Scotland. If its not broke why fix it?

If your sick of these threads don't read them. Who says im not happy? We just tied up a player on a 5 year deal we have recieved 3 bids for from a financially superior club which means we can command a good fee for him in the future. I have an opinion yeh, but why wouldnt i be happy? Im just not glad that we are offering a bumper 5 year contract to a player that should have been offered at most a 3 year deal. Im off for tea now.

So what differance would giving him a 3year to 5years deal(dont say two years) we get more money for him now he is on a longer contract?

Its your opinion mate (tu) but this place is getting more and more negitive on a hourly basis

You wouldn't think we are champions

He may not see out all of his 5 year contract and we may get a decent fee further down the line.I am happy for Whittaker and McGregor to sign new long term deals.Steven Whittaker can probably play anywhere in the back line and midfield and do a good job for us.I think he has been training hard and gotten stronger and fitter and we should have him at his peak.Perhaps if David Weir(no offense love the guy) is not in the back line we may see a more attacking Whittaker.

Exactly, 1 or 2 year deals leave us open to shitey offers for our players as there isn't the factor of a long contract for us to haggle over - such as the Kenny Miller situation. Auld Jim McLean is advising Gordon Smith on this subject, ha ha :P

Am i the only one who thinks Whittaker should not have got a 5 year deal on a higher salary?

In games against decent quality opposition he is one of our weakest links. He cant defend, he gets caught to high up the pitch, his first touch is lacking. His goals per season for a RB was aweseome a couple of seasons ago.

Now he doesn't score much and if he does its penalties. We could do alot worse but i think its time we started afresh with atleast a new LB or a RB. Nothing against Whittaker i just dont see him as a main player for the champs. Tbh i prefer Broadfoot!

I agree, don't rate him at all tbh. Massively over-rated!