Gregg Wylde Just Wants To Start

julescotia

Gregg Wylde: Forget my deal... all I want for now is a START

By DEREK McGREGOR

Published: Today

Add a comment Add a comment

GREGG WYLDE has vowed there will be no Spanish sighs for him - with Juan Manuel Ortiz threatening his Rangers future.

Summer signing Ortiz started the 1-1 draw against Hearts wide left and struggled to make any impact.

But kid Wylde came off the bench to replace the former Almeria wide man - and promptly gave Jambos right-back Ryan McGowan a far harder time of it.

It was a clear message to boss Ally McCoist that kid Wylde is worth keeping in the team for tomorrow night's crucial Champions League qualifier against Malmo at Ibrox.

It's understood McCoist hasn't been impressed with Wylde rejecting a new three-year deal because he's unhappy with the terms tabled.

But on the evidence of the youngster's 15 minutes against Hearts, the rookie Gers gaffer would be wise to put aside contract wrangles and focus on what Wylde can do against the dangerous Swedes.

Wylde, 20, insisted agreement on his immediate future will soon be reached - and that his priority is to prove he's good enough to stay in the side ahead of experienced ex-La Liga star Ortiz.

Wylde said: "When I came off the bench I thought I did okay and hopefully I'll get a start on Tuesday.

"The presence of Juan in the team is extra motivation for me.

"The gaffer saw me last season and hopefully I can really kick on from what I did then and improve this term.

"I started on the bench against Hearts, but hopefully that won't be the case throughout the season.

"I'm looking forward to the campaign ahead.

"The gaffer will make signings between now and the end of the transfer window.

"He's brought in a left midfielder and that makes it hard for me to fight for a place.

"But all I can do is work hard on the training ground and hope it works out for me in games and I hope to start against Malmo.

"Juan's situation with English is difficult. He spoke to me at half-time and I didn't understand what he was saying.

"When I can understand him he gives me advice.

"He's someone I saw before against teams like Real Madrid and he is a good player.

"But hopefully he can play on the right and I can play on the left.

"I don't look up to any players to be honest. I've just got to concentrate on my own ability. I know what I can do.

"If I don't think I'm a first-team player then I should not be here."

On his contract situation, Wylde added: "At this moment I'm still in talks with Rangers and we'll need to wait and see what happens.

"I'm hopeful we'll reach agreement and I have said I'll stay at Ibrox.

"But they have just not got back to me yet and talks are still ongoing.

"The gaffer's been talking to Gregsy and others about their contracts. I'll probably talk to him this week or next week.

"There are some good things happening here. There are young boys coming through like Kane Hemmings.

"

"Rangers are doing things the right way.

"Ally McCoist is an aggressive guy. He likes to win every game. You can't have a laugh all the time."

Wylde accepts Rangers will have to raise their game against Malmo.

The gruesome spectre of their humiliating Champions League qualifying defeat to Lithuanian minnows FBK Kaunas in 2008 looms large.

Wylde said: "It's a pressure match for us. I don't know much about Malmo. But if we start the way we played the second half against Hearts then I think we'll do okay."

Boss McCoist was subdued after his first competitive game in charge.

He had expected so much more as the fight for four-in- a-row kicked-off.

McCoist said: "I thought we were quite disappointing in the first half, although you have to give Hearts credit for the way they played.

"We just didn't seem to get going the way we played. We gave the ball away.

"The main problem we had was we let David Templeton turn with the ball and he ran at our back four. You don't do that with good players.

"We changed it a bit at half-time and I don't think there was any doubt we were a better team second half than we were first.

"I was pleased with the reaction of players.

"We just asked them to lift it and remember what had given them success over the last three years."

McCoist is still anxious to strengthen and has until 5pm today to add one more player for the Malmo crunch.

As SunSport revealed, giant Romanian stopper Dorin Goian is a prime target and a bid has been lodged with Palermo.

McCoist - also keen on Carlos Cuellar, Ronald Juhasz and Murray Davidson - added: "We're all aware we need one or two more players in.

"And we are still hoping we can at least get the one in we're allowed ahead of the Malmo game.

"I'm ruling nobody out although Goian is possibly the most likely."

McCoist gave credit to debut winger Ortiz and said: "Ryan McGowan played well against him. But second half Juan did a lot better and I was quite happy with him."

Allan McGregor also saved Gers and his boss added: "That's why, thankfully, he's signed a long-term contract.

"Allan's saves were wonderful but he also got people going. He's top class."

Meanwhile, Malmo hitman Dardan Rexhepi insists he is the man to shoot down Gers.

Rexhepi, 19, scored in the previous round against Torshavn.

And Rexhepi has his sights set on Gers after scoring in the 2-2 draw with Helsingborgs in the league at the weekend.

He said: "I will do everything I can to score against Rangers.

"It was nice to score in the previous round and I want to do it again.

"Their draw against Hearts at the weekend proves they are not immortal."

http://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/scotsol/homepage/sport/spl/3712365/Forget-my-deal-all-I-want-for-now-is-a-START.html

See to be honest, he has pace and that's all he needs. He'll gun past most defenders and get a cross in. If he had a decent right foot, he could cut back and offer a bit of diversity, but for now just use him to his potential - don't shoehorn Ortiz in there!

I would assume, all the "hating" aside, that Ally would be desperate for him to prove himself worthy of the contract he wants.

If that isnt motivation enough, coupled with the motivation to play for the famous Rangers, then he needs his head seeing to.

You'll get your chance son, but will you take it?

I've not seen anything from him that indicates he's good enough to start, bar that one game against PSV, but he's all we've got at the moment for that position so I don't really think we've got a choice but to start him.

I thought he was really good v Killie, although the full team were brilliant. Showed he doesn't just have to use his pace that game, slowed it down and picked out a great pass to Naisy.

Defenders are shit-scared of his pace to the extent they constantly double up on him - freeing up space for other players. He's a threat.

I've not seen anything from him that indicates he's good enough to start, bar that one game against PSV, but he's all we've got at the moment for that position so I don't really think we've got a choice but to start him.

What about lee wallace? why do we not just play oritz on the right where he should be. And play Wylde or lee wallace on the left?

seems pretty easy to me, yet our managers seem to play our players out of position.

What about lee wallace? why do we not just play oritz on the right where he should be. And play Wylde or lee wallace on the left?

seems pretty easy to me, yet our managers seem to play our players out of position.

Playing Lee Wallace left wing would be playing him out of position aswell.

He only had 10-15 minutes to do something but I wasn't impressed by Wylde at all on Saturday.

I thought I was the only one.

I'm not judging him already, but I don't think he made much of an impact apart from being faster than the boy who was on before him.

I thought I was the only one.

I'm not judging him already, but I don't think he made much of an impact apart from being faster than the boy who was on before him.

Me neither mate, but he didn't really get involved much but when he did it was a poor cross, or he didn't do anything with it etc.

I think he is similar to whittaker and he looks more than comfortable on the wing.

We'll soon find out, I do think the only chance he'll get at this moment in time would be at left wing. And surely he's going to get played at some point?

Me neither mate, but he didn't really get involved much but when he did it was a poor cross, or he didn't do anything with it etc.

I agree. It'd be unfair to highlight his poor touches as he hasn't kicked much of a ball lately, but he'll need to impress a bit more to get a start ahead of Naismith, Ortiz etc.

I agree. It'd be unfair to highlight his poor touches as he hasn't kicked much of a ball lately, but he'll need to impress a bit more to get a start ahead of Naismith, Ortiz etc.

Aye, I'm sounding negative as fuck here aswell saying this but he's a bit too predictable aswell. Iirc, everytime he got the ball (apart from once when he stopped, turned round and passed it back the way I think?) he would just run down the line and attempt to get a cross away.

If he keeps doing that their full back is going to clock on. Just needs a bit of variety in his game, would be good if he wasn't so one-footed aswell. :lol:

Aye, I'm sounding negative as fuck here aswell saying this but he's a bit too predictable aswell. Iirc, everytime he got the ball (apart from once when he stopped, turned round and passed it back the way I think?) he would just run down the line and attempt to get a cross away.

If he keeps doing that their full back is going to clock on. Just needs a bit of variety in his game, would be good if he wasn't so one-footed aswell. :lol:

I do know what you mean, he just needs to add a bit to his attack so like you say, he isn't too predictable.

The problem is with Wylde is that he's really predictable and a decent full back will be able to handle him even with his pace.

Fortunately for us though is that there are not many really good RB's in the SPL so he should be able to produce in most games.