Matt Mckay

Broxi1872

RANGERS are set to sign Australian midfielder Matt McKay for a cut price £320,000.

The Ibrox club has agreed terms with the 28-year-old who currently plays for Brisbane Roar.

And they will complete the signing once the international has undergone a medical and gets a work permit.

McKay has been training with the Socceroos in Cardiff as they prepare to play Wales in a friendly on Wednesday.

SunSport can reveal the player has a 500,000 Australian dollar release clause in his contract even though he has several years remaining.

And McKay should have no problems obtaining a work permit as he has recently become a regular in the international side.

McKay played in every game of this year's Asian Cup and was instrumental in getting Australia to the final - where they lost to Japan.

He has been recommended to Ally McCoist by ex-Gers Craig Moore, Charlie Miller and Ian Ferguson.

Gers revealed they were after the player, who has 16 caps, and are desperate to sign him in time They said: "Rangers are hoping to make Australian international star Matt McKay their next signing as Ally McCoist continues to bolster the squad.

"The 28-year-old midfield star is firmly in McCoist's sights and a deal could be done this week. McKay is in the UK as Australia have a friendly international with Wales on Wednesday night and Rangers would love to do a deal before the Europa League play-off deadline on Thursday.

"The Brisbane Roar captain is at the peak of his form having become a regular in the Australian national team and named Player of the Season in the A-League by the Aussie media.

"He captained the Roar to their first Australian title and was inspirational in the 4-2 A-League final game against Central Coast Mariners.

"McKay comes highly recommended by former team-mate Craig Moore who, of course, spent nearly ten years at Rangers, and Ian Ferguson who has watched McKay blossom.

"He also played beside Charlie Miller who was also impressed by his ability.

"There are work permit issues but Rangers hope to overcome them."

Meanwhile, Gers have had an improved bid for winger Wesley Verhoek rejected by ADO Den Haag with the Dutch side revealing they are unhappy with the bid for the 24-year-old winger.

Club owner Mark van der Kallen said: "The Glasgow bid was just not high enough."

http://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/scotsol/homepage/sport/spl/3739028/Rangers-move-for-Aussie-Matt-McKay.html#ixzz1UOC23J3e

Ok he looks not half bad at all but if he's the replacement for Verhoek I'll be very, very angry. IMO we really need someone like Verhoek and if we get beaten to a top signing target by Nottingham Forest it'll be absolutely ludicrous.

McKay wont be someone we sign if and when we fail to get Verhoek. McKay will be brought in to replace Gregg Wylde on the left-wing because he is out of favour after refusing to sign a new contract.

The clubs website says thursday

I know mate, a few news outlets are reporting Thursday as being the deadline but took this from the article on SSN about Juhasz wanting to sign for us :

Juhasz would like to move to Glasgow and hopes a deal can be done in time to meet the Europa League registration deadline of 11pm on Monday evening.

If he wasn't any good he wouldn't play regularly for the Australian national side. The guy clearly does have something and was the best player in the A-League last season. Writing him off before he even signs is absolutely pathetic.

The a-league is well below even the SPL in terms of quality, so this guy at 28 is not a hidden gem. Also, scott mcdonald still gets a game for the national team even though he hasnt scored so that arguement is pish. I will still write the cunt off thanks :BELM:

The a-league is well below even the SPL in terms of quality, so this guy at 28 is not a hidden gem. Also, scott mcdonald still gets a game for the national team even though he hasnt scored so that arguement is pish. I will still write the cunt off thanks :BELM:

Was watching the SPL highlights, and I really don't think the a-league is well below the quality of the SPL.

This guy will be good - trust me (tu)

Our national team just doesn't really suit McDonald's style of play. We play a 4-3-3 come 4-2-3-1 and he just isn't a very good target man whether it be ball to feet or aerially. He has a lot of caps because he does see a lot of game time coming off the bench for us but also because he still does pretty good with his club and club form does play a part in playing for our national team as we don't have the biggest player pool to choose from especially for strikers. We do however, have a shit load of midfielders and it is true, Emerton's suspension is what really put McKay on the map but in the games leading up to it, he was making a big case for be a starting player anyway, and I think the fact that Emerton didn't do anything wrong(Was playing well for Australia and had his best season at Blackburn for a long time) yet McKay still keeps his place ahead of him speaks more of the quality of player he is rather than the standard of league that he comes from.

And yeah lol, those Roar fans claiming that they'll get 5 million dollars for him are delusional. I knew McKay would be cheap but I didn't know he would be $500,000 cheap either, so that really is a bargain. Worse players have gone to Europe from Australia on higher transfer fees.

Indeed McKay only has 16 caps since 2006. He got very little playing time under Graham Arnold, and was barely even called up under Pim Verbeek who would routinely mock the A-League and often overlooked it's players for national selection. He's famous here for saying "Training for a German second division team is better than playing regularly in the A-League."

Our current national manager is much more open minded, thus he is getting a more fair and balanced look in. At first last year, he was just getting sub appearances near the end of games, but he gradually got more time till the day came when he was starting matches.

guys, if you consider that davidson is alledgedly worth 500,000, this guy is a steal...

forget about him playing in the a-league, the guy is a good player...i am not saying he will be a star, but he will be a welcome addition to our midfield and will compliment davis very well...he is consistently good, and was arguably Australia's best at Asian Cup as well as the best in the a-league

Here are some comments from some aussies for review

http://www.foxsports.com.au/football/a-league/foxsportscomau-users-say-brisbane-roar-captain-matt-mckay-is-clearly-a-league-player-of-the-season/story-e6frf4gl-1226004357047

Hey guys, Came into work this morning and spoke to a guy who knows a lot more about a league than me. Said Mckay was the best player in a-league last yr in his opinion. Ran the show and took control of the midfield. plays mainly at cm but can move to lm. Sign him up i say, not heard a bad word about him form anybody overhere.

The aussie guy gives us an in depth review of the player and the experts on here still say he isnt good enough. I mean who to believe? The guy that watches him most weeks in his own country or the experts on RM who because they havent heard of him deem him not good enough :lol:

Matt Mckay was the stand out player for Australia in the recent Asain Cup in Qatar, he would be a very good signing for the gers at a very good price, believe me this boy will be a very welcome addition to rangers and if played in his right position will be a first team player, would compliment Wallace superbly tbh

AR

For what we are paying you will be pleasently surprised mate..trust me on this!