Richard Gough And Mark Hately

Ger for life

From my seat last night I saw Goughie and Big Mark doing their ESPN stuff. Goughie looks as though he could still play! I began to reminisce about the glory days we enjoyed with those guys in the team - who can ever forget that classic first ever CL 2-2 draw against Marseille at Ibrox? I wish we could have had players of their calibre and stature out there last night.

See when you think of the team they played in 1 to 11 it was genuine quality all the way

Totally agree and every one of them would run through a brick wall for the team - otherwise he would face the wrath of his fellow team mates. There were no hiders or shirkers in those days.

From my seat last night I saw Goughie and Big Mark doing their ESPN stuff. Goughie looks as though he could still play! I began to reminisce about the glory days we enjoyed with those guys in the team - who can ever forget that classic first ever CL 2-2 draw against Marseille at Ibrox? I wish we could have had players of their calibre and stature out there last night.

We had one good year in Europe with Gough etc. and were embarrassed every year before and after that.

Totally agree and every one of them would run through a brick wall for the team - otherwise he would face the wrath of his fellow team mates. There were no hiders or shirkers in those days.

See when you think of the fringe players back then like Alex Clelland, Fraser Wishart and Pieter Huistra they would be the best players in the team now where as back then they were just stop gaps

Clelland was the Broadfoot of his day. A target for the fans. Another was Bollan.

We are always harder on the domestic players but if Clelland was in the team today he would be one of the favourites ... his problem back then was he was being compared with real top quality players

We are always harder on the domestic players but if Clelland was in the team today he would be one of the favourites his problem back then is he was being compared with real top quality players

Oh i'm not saying i agree with barracking those players. Every squad needs them. I loved Wishart at the time, he was Mr Reliable, at least as much as i can remember. I thought Cleland was too but Bollan not so much. The support today are, mainly, spoiled kids who grew up watching the Premiership.

Gary McSwegan didn't last that long but Bomber I would say was quality although to be fair he was more of a players player.

Nissy was the exception that proved the rule :sherlock:

Bomber was a hard man who never let us down and would play anywhere. As i say, i'd never have a word against him, but he wasn't what you'd call a sophisticated ball player. He'd get some moans these days though!

Thats what happens when the truth doesnt suit caseyjones.

(tu)

you are absolutley spot on.

Another article in the Sun under the title You Lot Shamed Legends ....

http://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/scotsol/homepage/sport/spl/3775970/You-lot-shamed-legends.html

This would be the same legends who got embarrassed home and away by juventus , lost to AEK Athens , ripped apart by Ajax , lost to Levski Sofia , lost to IFK Gothenburg , couldn't defend a corner against Auxere when they had 2 men in our box. couldnt defend a 2-0 lead in Dortmund. Then we can follow this with Advocats world beaters - pumped in Graz , demolished in Parma , humped by Galatasary , unable to take care of Monaco couldnt even make the 3rd place in the bloody group stages with 70m pounds worth of players on the pitch and never even close to getting out the group stages. Mcleish's teams faired little better.

End of the day - like it or not the current Rangers team have acheived more on the European Stage than our 9 in a row squad , Advocats Multi-million pound squad and any other rangers team of the past 30 odd years. Would our 9 in a row team have been able to hold Barcelona to a 0-0 draw? 4-0 pumpings at the hands of Ajax and Juventus are proof they would not. We went to Lyon and pumped them 3-0 , held Barcelona , Man Utd to goal less draws , got to a Uefa Cup Final disposing of Italian , Portugeese and German sides on the way.

Our 9 in a row team managed 2nd place in the inaugral CL and that was all they ever acheived in Europe - current squad - UEFA FINAL - which is the greater achievement??

People get all nostalgic and talk of the great players we had but with the passing of time and when criticising the current squad everyone seems to forget that these great players of the past let us down far more than our current squad ever will! Had these great players of the past not got themselves regularly humped and embarassed out of Europe then maybe our current squad wouldnt be in the fucking state it is in!!

this is how our Legends faired in the CL -

92-93 - 2nd spot in group - 1-1 and 2-2 draw with Marseile , 1-1 draw and 2-1 win against Brugge , 1-0 win against CSKA and 0-0 draw

93-94 - beaten by Levski Sofia

94-95 - beaten by AEK Athens home and away

95-96 - scraped thru 1-0 against Famagusta - beaten 4-1 and 4-0 by Juventus , Lost to Steau B away , and 2 draws with dortmund and 1 with Steau

96-97 - qualified and got beaten by Grasshoppers 3-0 , auxere 2-1 twice , 4-1 and 1-0 loses to AJAX. Only points a 2-1 home win against Grasshoppers

97-98 - out at the hands of IFK Gothenburg after a 3-0 away loss and 1-1 home draw

so that would be our great Legends - Acheived 3 fucking victories and 7 draws in 6 years in Europe (not including qualifiers against fishermen)

rant over

you are absolutley spot on.

Another article in the Sun under the title You Lot Shamed Legends ....

http://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/scotsol/homepage/sport/spl/3775970/You-lot-shamed-legends.html

This would be the same legends who got embarrassed home and away by juventus , lost to AEK Athens , ripped apart by Ajax , lost to Levski Sofia , lost to IFK Gothenburg , couldn't defend a corner against Auxere when they had 2 men in our box. couldnt defend a 2-0 lead in Dortmund. Then we can follow this with Advocats world beaters - pumped in Graz , demolished in Parma , humped by Galatasary , unable to take care of Monaco couldnt even make the 3rd place in the bloody group stages with 70m pounds worth of players on the pitch and never even close to getting out the group stages. Mcleish's teams faired little better.

End of the day - like it or not the current Rangers team have acheived more on the European Stage than our 9 in a row squad , Advocats Multi-million pound squad and any other rangers team of the past 30 odd years. Would our 9 in a row team have been able to hold Barcelona to a 0-0 draw? 4-0 pumpings at the hands of Ajax and Juventus are proof they would not. We went to Lyon and pumped them 3-0 , held Barcelona , Man Utd to goal less draws , got to a Uefa Cup Final disposing of Italian , Portugeese and German sides on the way.

Our 9 in a row team managed 2nd place in the inaugral CL and that was all they ever acheived in Europe - current squad - UEFA FINAL - which is the greater achievement??

People get all nostalgic and talk of the great players we had but with the passing of time and when criticising the current squad everyone seems to forget that these great players of the past let us down far more than our current squad ever will! Had these great players of the past not got themselves regularly humped and embarassed out of Europe then maybe our current squad wouldnt be in the fucking state it is in!!

this is how our Legends faired in the CL -

92-93 - 2nd spot in group - 1-1 and 2-2 draw with Marseile , 1-1 draw and 2-1 win against Brugge , 1-0 win against CSKA and 0-0 draw

93-94 - beaten by Levski Sofia

94-95 - beaten by AEK Athens home and away

95-96 - scraped thru 1-0 against Famagusta - beaten 4-1 and 4-0 by Juventus , Lost to Steau B away , and 2 draws with dortmund and 1 with Steau

96-97 - qualified and got beaten by Grasshoppers 3-0 , auxere 2-1 twice , 4-1 and 1-0 loses to AJAX. Only points a 2-1 home win against Grasshoppers

97-98 - out at the hands of IFK Gothenburg after a 3-0 away loss and 1-1 home draw

so that would be our great Legends - Acheived 3 fucking victories and 7 draws in 6 years in Europe (not including qualifiers against fishermen)

rant over

Every word, SPOT ON! (tu)

Every word, SPOT ON! (tu)

thank you SWSL.

I might be overstepping the mark but I would even go as far as saying that the 9 in a row squad is in a way responsible for the current state of our finances. We and SDM craved european success and the failings of the 9 in a row squad were the reason that SDM made the DA move. Had the 9 in a row team not been so pathetic in its last showing against IFK Gothenburg then maybe , just maybe , DA would never have happened.

3 failed champions league attempts = atleast £30million lost plus 70-80million rebuilding team = over £100million pounds was the price Rangers potentially paid for the failings of the 9 in a row squad.

thank you SWSL.

I might be overstepping the mark but I would even go as far as saying that the 9 in a row squad is in a way responsible for the current state of our finances. We and SDM craved european success and the failings of the 9 in a row squad were the reason that SDM made the DA move. Had the 9 in a row team not been so pathetic in its last showing against IFK Gothenburg then maybe , just maybe , DA would never have happened.

3 failed champions league attempts = atleast £30million lost plus 70-80million rebuilding team = over £100million pounds was the price Rangers potentially paid for the failings of the 9 in a row squad.

I was at that Gotheburg game, i remember it well and i remember being absolutely stunned at our capitulation. I commend SDM for backing his managers financially over the years, he also showed a level of ambition fans were happy with, what he didnt account for was being so badly let down by those managers he had picked to lead us to glory. Advocaat and Smith spent fortune upon fortune and gave us so little back on the front where the money was spent for.

I still have the original Scotsport recording of that game.

Match analysis from Davie Cooper and Ray Wilkins in the Scotsport studio.

I also have all the other European games from 1992-93 season including both Leeds games.

If anyone wants a game on disc, drop me a PM.