Entertaining Football Or Winning

j1mgg

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

its the fucking SPL, we arguably have twice the skill level of all other teams

yet we stil get played off the park by utter shite, and make no mistake about it, when teams with ross tokely, zander diamond and ian black start to play you off the park, you are doing something massively wrong

winning is great, but winning without playing good football will only go far, and europe has shown that, the SPL is fucking awful, you can play shite but rely on the opponents making a james hunt of it at least 3 times during the game, and hopefully you take advantage of it

im sorry but a 10-1 goal ratio this season after playing, hearts, st johnstone, motherwell, inverness and the sheep is nothing to brag about really, all of they teams are defensively garbage and not much better attacking

Rangers should be looking to taking 4 goals off of everyteam we play, certainly for the wages the players are paid they shouldnt be getting dominated for 45mins of everygame

We wont ever do anything in europe again if we cannot learn to play football, and i certainly hate to think that at the age of 29 i'll only ever see rangers in european final ONCE

Why are Arsenal the only team used as an example who play nice football?

What about Barcelona?

Tony Mowbray, is that you?

"I want to get Celtic playing football like Spain or Barcelona"

http://www.<No links to this website>/football/spl/celtic/2009/06/18/tony-mowbray-i-d-like-to-have-celtic-playing-football-like-spain-or-barcelona-86908-21450252/

I think we need to get past the one season mentality. If we continue to play non attractive football the attendances will fall further and the next generation will watch the Premiership instead of the SPL. TV money will be non existent as no other markets will be interested and then with no cash in our game the standard becomes even lower than it is now!

What unique selling points does the SPL have that gets us revenue outside Scotland:

Biggest rivalry in the game - This is being diluted every year by playing too many times (7 last year!), fans afraid to sing and early kick offs.

Atmosphere of the old firm - Gone, except on derby day (sometimes) and the Champions league which neither will see for a while.

Expat interest - Lots of expats in markets such as the US/Oz generate interest but their kids won't have the same ties and won't be interested in a poor level of football.

For the SPL to move forward we need the following:

- Both us and Celtic to put more emphasis on attacking attractive football

- Another team outside the old firm to win the league (matchday revenue sharing may be required for there to be a chance of this)

- A more European style of refereeing, skillful players need protection

- Safe standing areas

- Cheap tickets to games

I don't expect this to be popular

If we'd also won in Europe without entertaining I'd say, "ok we have a formula for getting the win without having the most creative of teams." However we didn't, so playing poorly and winning only in the SPL prompts a response more along the lines of, "We're shite but they're worse."

Europe is the Barometer.

As many have said, they aren't mutually exclusive. We've played entertaining football and been very successful at it, but when we do play that way and win, seems it's months before we see it again. Then, oot the blue the epiphany hits again, the bulbs switch on once more in the heads of our leaders, we entertain and win the match, and promptly forget the lessons again the next week. Why this happens is anyone's guess.

Surely how poorly we play is contributing to losing games. We were probably lucky to win against aberdeen if they had any better players up front they could have won or at least drew that game and not all the SPL teams are as poor as aberdeen.

We need more pace and creativity in the team. Without this we are boring and predictable and teams can make life very difficult in the SPL. We can play attractive winning football. We did it in the last 10 games of last season. It is a mind thing. If the players are determined to do it it will happen. Unfortunately they are just too lazy and uncommitted at times.