9 Million For Jela? That'll Be Whyte!

KingKirk

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Goram was a fantastic goalie but that era is over. The legendary status may tarnish if he continues to be credited with writing such utter rubbish. Andy Goram hasn't a clue what has been spent by Craig Whyte and on what or whom. He is merely annoying the Rangers fans by allowing himself to be seen as a critic of what is happening at Ibrox. On the issue of the £9m "bid" for Jelavic, no-one at Rangers has been quoted about this. A "source" said "blah, blah, blah". If I was a journalist, I would want a bit more evidence than the source (who is probably the groundsman's aunty's grannys' next door neighbour's paper boy). Nowhere have I seen that RFC has confirmed such a bid. In fact, the wording of said "source" was along the lines of " an agent called to inquire if RFC may be interested in selling Jelavic if the price was £9m". That is significantly different from a bid. An enquiry is not a bid. I have previously stated on another thread that £9m for Jelavic is not unreasonable in consideration of Crouch going for £12m. As the window neared closure, it is not beyond the realms of fantasy to believe that agents were not hedging their bets by making enquiries on a number of players in case their preferred deals collapsed. Look at the Arteta deal. Crouch was a very late one as well. What if the Crouch deal was hitting the buffers, can anyone say for certain that (for example) Stoke were not to be offered Jelavic as a late replacement at (only) £9m? I'm not saying that RFC did or did not get such an enquiry and unless RFC make a statement on the issue, no one will no for sure. What I will say, however, is that our Club's PR department is non-existent.

Goram reminds me of Jim Baxter.

I remember having to go to the launch of Stinky Johnstone's book, and there in conversation among all the rats of the day like McNeil, Murdoch, Johnstone, Auld, was Slim Jim.

I was intruiged to hear the conversation, and shuffled over beside them to eavesdrop.

Souness had just joined Rangers at the time, and Baxter was telling them all that the Sun had just contacted, and asked him to comment on the new appointment.

"I told them to fuck off" says Jim. "Then the cunt says to me that there's 500 quid in it for you Jim, if you give us a quote. So I says to him, 'what do you want me to say then'".

Cool story Bro.....

:BELM:

Goram reminds me of Jim Baxter.

I remember having to go to the launch of Stinky Johnstone's book, and there in conversation among all the rats of the day like McNeil, Murdoch, Johnstone, Auld, was Slim Jim.

I was intruiged to hear the conversation, and shuffled over beside them to eavesdrop.

Souness had just joined Rangers at the time, and Baxter was telling them all that the Sun had just contacted, and asked him to comment on the new appointment.

"I told them to fuck off" says Jim. "Then the cunt says to me that there's 500 quid in it for you Jim, if you give us a quote. So I says to him, 'what do you want me to say then'".

The good thing about speaking ill of the dead is it's difficult to be disproven.

What I will say, however, is that our Club's PR department is non-existent.

PR is a two-way street. It can be defensive or it can spin a positive yarn. A lot of Rangers fans don't seem to pick up on the latter variety. The Rangers PR department has clearly been working on overdrive since Whyte arrived. The world would be a better place without PR entirely.

all this whyte slaggin is utter rubbish if whyte had not cleared the debt shagger davis and jelavic would have left fur a combined 15m max and the bank would have hoovered it all up because the bank didnt care if the bid was lower than true value its like when they reposess a house they sell it quickly and the feee is never the true amount

Goram is not really helping by coming out with an article like that. Very strong words from him.. Im not sure I like it!

Why do so many Rangers fans have such an aversion to free speech? Ban this, ban them, shut them down etc etc. It's a lazy response. What did Goram say that has not been said already on these forums? And it's about football ff sake. Aye the guy should be banned from expressing an opinion about something as inconsequential (in the bigger picture) as football. doh

The good thing about speaking ill of the dead is it's difficult to be disproven.

I'm not speaking ill of the dead. I'm pointing out that some legends will say anything for a buck or two. Especially those who like the grape and the grain.

I have told the Baxter story in a fond manner over the years. There is no malice for the way he was.

all this whyte slaggin is utter rubbish if whyte had not cleared the debt shagger davis and jelavic would have left fur a combined 15m max and the bank would have hoovered it all up because the bank didnt care if the bid was lower than true value its like when they reposess a house they sell it quickly and the feee is never the true amount

glad you have the inside track at the bank.

I'm not speaking ill of the dead. I'm pointing out that some legends will say anything for a buck or two. Especially those who like the grape and the grain.

I have told the Baxter story in a fond manner over the years. There is no malice for the way he was.

Yes, calling someone a moneygrabbing alcoholic is not speaking ill of the dead. doh

Jim Baxter was a good friend of mine and I seem to recall him telling me that story one evening in the lounge at Paisley Road Toll. It certainly rings a bell but to be fair, I was single then (pre-1980) and we had partaken of a fair amount of alcohol, so the exact wording is hazy. He loved the Gers though, a real True Blue.

Jim Baxter was a good friend of mine and I seem to recall him telling me that story one evening in the lounge at Paisley Road Toll. It certainly rings a bell but to be fair, I was single then (pre-1980) and we had partaken of a fair amount of alcohol, so the exact wording is hazy. He loved the Gers though, a real True Blue.

He did love the Gers, and the story IS true.

It was all just a big laugh to Baxter. It doesn't seem such a laugh when Goram's doing similar for a few bob.