Sir Alex Ferguson

Al Jolson

Whats shite about it? The "stars" in his team might be uninspiring but his young players (who he'd clearly much prefer to be his settled XI) are playing brilliantly and are the most exciting side in England.

Sorry but I stopped reading there. Step forward Man City, who incidentally struggled against last season's 3rd place Serie A side Napoli to get a point at home, further showing how overrated the premiership is.

No English side will reach the final of the CL this season. Guaranteed.

I think Man City are head and shoulders above anyone in England at the moment but I don't think they will reach the last 16 of the CL.

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

But without a second glance I see a certain chap called Josep Guardiola who is on another planet from him. And that's barely skimming the surface. Would the greatest manager of all time play 1 striker against Benfica and struggle to get a point. Would the greatest manager of all time fail to win 14 out of 19 away games last season and allow a dire Chelsea side to come back in the title race and almost win it :broadfoot:

I think Pep Guardiola has been very, very lucky though in the batch of players that are currently at Barcelona. He's undoubtedly a fantastic manager, steeped in the Barca traditions, but I'm not quite sure I'd be comparing him to Fergie yet.

Sorry but I stopped reading there. Step forward Man City, who incidentally struggled against last season's 3rd place Serie A side Napoli to get a point at home, further showing how overrated the premiership is.

No English side will reach the final of the CL this season. Guaranteed.

I think Man City are head and shoulders above anyone in England at the moment but I don't think they will reach the last 16 of the CL.

Well with all due respect, if you're going to "stop reading" posts that make valid points, you might as well bow out of the thread altogether. The crux of my point wasn't based on the inherent quality of the English league.

I happen to agree with you regarding the champions league.

I think Pep Guardiola has been very, very lucky though in the batch of players that are currently at Barcelona. He's undoubtedly a fantastic manager, steeped in the Barca traditions, but I'm not quite sure I'd be comparing him to Fergie yet.

This is absolute garbage. Have you seen the squad Pep inherited? Have you compared it to his current first XI?

Aye he is. Naw hes no. Aye he is. Naw hes no. Aye he is. Naw hes no. Aye he is. Naw hes no. Aye he is. Naw hes no. Aye he is. Naw hes no. Aye he is. Naw hes no. Aye he is. Naw hes no. Aye he is. Naw hes no. Aye he is. Naw hes no. Aye he is. Naw hes no. Aye he is. Naw hes no. Aye he is. Naw hes no. Aye he is. Naw hes no. Aye he is. Naw hes no. Aye he is. Naw hes no. Aye he is. Naw hes no. Aye he is. Naw hes no. Aye he is. Naw hes no. Aye he is. Naw hes no. Aye he is. Naw hes no. Aye he is. Naw hes no. Aye he is. Naw hes no. Aye he is. Naw hes no. Aye he is. Naw hes no. Aye he is. Naw hes no. Aye he is. Naw hes no. Aye he is. Naw hes no. Aye he is. Naw hes no. Aye he is. Naw hes no. Aye he is. Naw hes no. Aye he is. Naw hes no. Aye he is. Naw hes no. Aye he is. Naw hes no. Aye he is. Naw hes no. Aye he is. Naw hes no.

There, next 4 pages dont need to exist.

But without a second glance I see a certain chap called Josep Guardiola who is on another planet from him. And that's barely skimming the surface. Would the greatest manager of all time play 1 striker against Benfica and struggle to get a point. Would the greatest manager of all time fail to win 14 out of 19 away games last season and allow a dire Chelsea side to come back in the title race and almost win it :broadfoot:

He made 9 changes against Benfica because of the Chelsea game, and Benficas home record is phenominal. What exactly is your point with that one?

And you're really gona use the fact that he beat Chelsea to the title last year as a negative? :lol:

:BELM:

This is absolute garbage. Have you seen the squad Pep inherited? Have you compared it to his current first XI?

Valdes, Puyol, Abidal, Busquets, Xavi, Iniesta, Pedro, Messi were all at the club when Pep became manager. Granted, he has been credited with bringing Busquets & Pedro through but the rest form the spine of the Barcelona team. He went back to Barca's traditional formation and it's working wonders.

So I still agree with what I said above. He was lucky that the above players were readily available at the club he became manager of.

I wouldn't compare him to Ferguson either because he's far superior. For all his millions he has never had a side that remotely resembles Guardiolas

What he's doing can't be argued, as it is remarkable. in terms of modern management though i think nobody can touch mourinho.

pep clearly is a good manager as no matter how many good players in a team they still need to be instructed and guided, BUT, he came into it just as that barca squad were coming into their prime and would be one of the best sides ever with anyone in charge, to be fair to him though, one thing he's definitely done a good job with is their fitnesss levels.

What he's doing can't be argued, as it is remarkable. in terms of modern management though i think nobody can touch mourinho.

pep clearly is a good manager as no matter how many good players in a team they still need to be instructed and guided, BUT, he came into it just as that barca squad were coming into their prime and would be one of the best sides ever with anyone in charge, to be fair to him though, one thing he's definitely done a good job with is their fitnesss levels.

Guardiola makes Mourinho look like an amateur..........

Ferguson easily the best in UK.

Valdes, Puyol, Abidal, Busquets, Xavi, Iniesta, Pedro, Messi were all at the club when Pep became manager. Granted, he has been credited with bringing Busquets & Pedro through but the rest form the spine of the Barcelona team. He went back to Barca's traditional formation and it's working wonders.

So I still agree with what I said above. He was lucky that the above players were readily available at the club he became manager of.

Iniesta transformed into the best AMC in the world under him, best player in the world outside Messi. The rest of the team transformed as well, playing unreal football. But wait...you're just fishing for this, aren't you :broadfoot:

Guardiola makes Mourinho look like an amateur..........

Ferguson easily the best in UK.

no, his team does, mourinhos been unfortunate in that he went to real madrid at a time when barca are far and away the best team in the world and NOBODY could/can touch them. put it this way, if mourinho was barca manager and pep was at madrid, the results would still be the same. I'm maybe a bit biased though as im a big mourinho fan.

I have to say he's the best because he just builds one exceptional team after another. I know people will say that is to be expected at Man U but don't forget lowly Aberdeen were paying him more than he got in his first contract at Old Trafford so he had to rebuilt that club as he was building the teams on the park.

When you look at the others who have been winners in the modern game they all have things that detract from their success ... like Bob Paisley inherited a good team and Clough was part of a double act with Peter Taylor and was never the same after that split up

Why do you think it's pretty clear?

Majority of his league wins were in an era that the EPL was not very strong compared to other top European leagues and United had next to no real challengers because he could out spend every single one of them.

Should have had better success in Europe with the club and money he has had at his disposal.

Really don't want to discuss it with people on here, especially after reading some of the responses, just my opinion and let's leave it at that!

There are managers that impact on the game in real, meaningful ways that go way beyond mere trophy wins.

I agree with your point but I can't think of any and how they've done it.

Care to give some examples?

I agree with your point but I can't think of any and how they've done it.

Care to give some examples?

Shankly, for instance. The generally held view being that Paisley won more titles but in the house that Shankly built.

But more specifically I was thinking of someone like Rinus Michels, who did win trophies though not as many as some but whose tactical legacy in the game is immeasurable.

You clearly havent.

The idea that Guardiola just took over a brilliant Barcelona team and took up where his predecessor left of is nonsense. He took over a side who were stagnating terribly, got rid of the former best player in the world, gave his "world class" players a boot up the arse (and in the case of Eto'o and Toure, got rid of them eventually), turned Xavi from the perennial quiet, underrated hard worker to a player considered by many to be the greatest midfielder in the world and one of the greatest ever and two of the youngsters he introduced in place of the proven winners went on to become world cup winners within two seasons.