Intolerance Towards Our Managers

Al Jolson

I've been following Rangers for more years than I care to remember and, since Walter Smiths first spell as manager, we always seem to have a section of our support (?) who have been pretty intolerant of the man in charge.

Walter, when announcing his departure at the end of his first stint, basically said that part of the reason he felt it was time to go was that there were people who seemed to have a problem with him being manager. Even in his second stint, he wasn't short of his critics.

Wee Dick, accepted readily during the good times but when it started to go awry..............well that you can accept because it would happen to any manager at any club.

Big Eck, from his appointment to his departure, was never fully accepted by some, even given his achievements within the restrictions surrounding him at that time.

PLG? Well, you could provide ten threads to debate his tenure and probably still not come to agreement.

Which brings us nicely to Ally. You would've thought that out of anyone, the man who would've been given the most leeway would be this guy but it doesn't appear to be the case in some quarters. What does surprise me is the level of criticism that's levelled at the guy this early in his managerial career.

It's almost as if some want him to fail so that they can say "told you!".

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

i dont think it has anything to do with "i told you so", more probably to do with a manager with absolutely no experience in the hotseat himself getting the job

Souness and Smith were both rookie managers. Didn't seem to do too badly. :cool:

I don't buy into the idea that folk want our managers to fail, just to suit their agenda. (though I have noted you said "almost as if")

I think it's fine if someone has constructive criticism to make. However, people need to be realistic. There has to be a bit of an understanding of the circumstances.

They need to realise there will be teething problems when a new, rookie manager takes the helm of a club this size, no matter who his tutor was before him.

Dear Ally

Sorry for daring to question your team selections and tactics. Not to mention the fact you repeated the same mistakes and never utilised your subs properly in the European Games. Yes you were let down by certain players like McCulloch,Whittaker and Bougherra but to be fair you got rid of the best of the 3 in Bougherra. And yes the strikers did miss sitters so i'll be objective and not blame you for that.

So please accept my humble apologies for having the temerity to criticise you on a Rangers forum for presiding over our exit from 3 cup competitions before the end of September

Yours

Simply a Fan who wants to bash Rangers managers and players for the sake of it. :rolleyes:

I was nervous about Ally getting the job.

I hoped he was going to step in and hit the ground running, with us playing great football and winning every game, but my worst fear was that he'd be another John Greig.

I've been disappointed so far, although he's at least got us motoring in the league, and shown he can motivate the team with the great derby game perforomance.

Maybe it's worth remembering that even the great Jock Wallace took a couple of years to work his magic, and even then he had to get rid of 2 legends in the process.

Ally needs time, but I don't think Rangers can afford to give him it finanacially. We've already lost fortunes with our cup exits so far, and if he was to struggle to keep us ahead in the league for next year's CL money, I don't think he could survive it.

Dear Ally

Sorry for daring to question your team selections and tactics. Not to mention the fact you repeated the same mistakes and never utilised your subs properly in the European Games. Yes you were let down by certain players like McCulloch,Whittaker and Bougherra but to be fair you got rid of the best of the 3 in Bougherra. And yes the strikers did miss sitters so i'll be objective and not blame you for that.

So please accept my humble apologies for having the temerity to criticise you on a Rangers forum for presiding over our exit from 3 cup competitions before the end of September

Yours

Simply a Fan who wants to bash Rangers managers and players for the sake of it. :rolleyes:

This threads about the attitude towards recent managers not just Ally. :cool:

This threads about the attitude towards recent managers not just Ally. :cool:

Your last paragraph:-

Which brings us nicely to Ally. You would've thought that out of anyone, the man who would've been given the most leeway would be this guy but it doesn't appear to be the case in some quarters. What does surprise me is the level of criticism that's levelled at the guy this early in his managerial career.

Yeah and McCoist is our current manager who is getting deserved criticism. Your point may have been about all the previous managers but the simple fact of the matter is ALL managers get criticism when things aren't going well.

McCoist is currently in the middle of a minor crisis and will get criticised whether fans like it or not.

Oh and there was no trap Blouie..nice try.

How are our managers these days supposed to even attempt to live up to the levels of success some of their predecessors achieved, when they aren't given a chance from day one? Ally was written off even before the announcement was made in January of this year, confirming he was the man to succeed from Walter. Who would we have to appoint before a manager can be backed from day one, by even the most sceptical or negative of Bear; Jose Mourinho? Sir Alex Ferguson?

What will it take to simply give a manager a chance?

Your last paragraph:-

Yeah and McCoist is our current manager who is getting deserved criticism. Your point may have been about all the previous managers but the simple fact of the matter is ALL managers get criticism when things aren't going well.

McCoist is currently in the middle of a minor crisis and will get criticised whether fans like it or not.

Oh and there was no trap Blouie..nice try.

That's just about Ally. Again. :cool:

I've been disappointed so far, although he's at least got us motoring in the league, and shown he can motivate the team with the great derby game perforomance.

A team should not beed motivating against Celtic. Look at the other games for motivation, thats when the manager is needed more for that.