Intolerance Towards Our Managers

Al Jolson

It has obviously been quite a mixed start for McCoist. Europe was very disappointing and so was Wednesday night so he has to take some of the blame. But I think the players do as well. As much as they rose to the occasion on Sunday, they have under-performed in quite a lot of matches this season. I thought McCoist got it wrong against Malmo at home but away, there's no way he can legislate for Whittaker and Bougherra. And against Maribor, we were complacent in Slovenia and wasteful in the 2nd leg.

But in the league, we have done well so far so McCoist deserves credit for that as well as the players who fought for him against Celtic. But to blame him for everything that has happened is just wrong in my opinion. The manager can't control how players are going to play and once they go onto the pitch, there's not much else he can do.

He does deserve our support though. There's too many people, that were against the appointment in the first place, who leech onto every mistake he's made and that isn't the actions of a true Rangers supporter. Let's face it, he's about 10 games into his managerial career. Support the man.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

All good points as well. There are some that still wouldn't give Walter the recognition he merits. There's always an "aye, but......." when they're talking about his achievements. Same for McLeish to a lesser extent n :cool:

Especially hard on Walter - I remember a lot of comments on this board about how he should never have come back after NOT winning 10 in a row! - go figure!! Also all the moaning that we lost a European final. I was fking creaming myself that we had got there, that in itself was a huge achievement and yet look at the number on here that wanted hm out as we did not win the league that year and some saying we should have sacrificed the UEFA cup to win the league (and all with that background of 'sporting integrity' and support :disappointment: from the SPL)

Even Walter said (I paraphrase) "At ibrox you are only ever two defeats from a crisis" - that timeframe may even be getting cut down to "An" defeat of Rangers and you are facing a crisis.

One of the things I did find illuminating was one of the Falkir players was talking about their support - appreciate what they are trying to do and support them even in defeat or if they go behind - while 'we' bay for blood if we even go a goal down and woe betide us if we lose.

our expectations as a support are too high, we demand to win every game and every comp we enter(the way we should). however we have never been a support to accept that defeats are part and parcel of football. therefor any time we lose or even draw it is like the world has ended and we have to aim our frustrations somewhere so the manager gets it aswell as 1 or 2 usual suspect players.

its time we accepted we are not the rangers of 5/10/15 yrs ago and our level of tolerance needs to reflect this.

as someone famously said "2 games without a win is a crisis for rangers"

If you're going to be offensive then expect people to respond. Some might do it offensively. Personally, I prefer the intelligent debate approach. Now stop furiously pounding your keyboard and join in the debate. :cool:

Do you actually understand the concept of debate.

You put a post up

You mention the grief given to McCoist among others.

I comment on the McCoist angle.

You try to be smarmy.

You get it back and now you keep on going down the condescending route instead of debating the merits in my response.

Do you actually understand the concept of debate.

You put a post up

You mention the grief given to McCoist among others.

I comment on the McCoist angle.

You try to be smarmy.

You get it back and now you keep on going down the condescending route instead of debating the merits in my response.

Sound. You win.

Now back to the thread. :cool:

Mccoist has had ups and downs in his start as Rangers Manager. He should be criticized as should the players for the European mess. The players more so for the Falkirk debacle.

He needs time to settle in and the new players too. Let's give him at least to January before forming any opinion.

I wish him the best and he should succeed in the SPL, but a lot depends on his team selection and tactics and our two main strikers remaining fit and on the park.

My gut feeling is that Ally will succeed. I really hope so but he is not immune from criticism.

Mccoist has had ups and downs in his start as Rangers Manager. He should be criticized as should the players for the European mess. The players more so for the Falkirk debacle.

He needs time to settle in and the new players too. Let's give him at least to January before forming any opinion.

I wish him the best and he should succeed in the SPL, but a lot depends on his team selection and tactics and our two main strikers remaining fit and on the park.

My gut feeling is that Ally will succeed. I really hope so but he is not immune from criticism.

Whoa..watch out you didn't talk about PLG or Wattie or Big Eck. Apparently that's frowned upon in this thread. :crabflute:

At Rangers you're only as good as your last game, that's because we're a big club that expects to win trophies.

The criticism of McCoist isn't based on just one awful performance though, that would be unwarranted. It's based on a load of very poor performances all lacking in simple football skills. And this is a man who has been at the club for years and worked with most of the players on a daily basis for a long period.

The criticism of McCoist isn't based on just one awful performance though, that would be unwarranted. It's based on a load of very poor performances all lacking in simple football skills. And this is a man who has been at the club for years and worked with most of the players on a daily basis for a long period.

No doubt, but the general mood was brilliant after the Celtic game. We need a win tomorrow to get the mood brighter again.

I've been following Rangers for more years than I care to remember and, since Walter Smiths first spell as manager, we always seem to have a section of our support (?) who have been pretty intolerant of the man in charge.

Walter, when announcing his departure at the end of his first stint, basically said that part of the reason he felt it was time to go was that there were people who seemed to have a problem with him being manager. Even in his second stint, he wasn't short of his critics.

Wee Dick, accepted readily during the good times but when it started to go awry..............well that you can accept because it would happen to any manager at any club.

Big Eck, from his appointment to his departure, was never fully accepted by some, even given his achievements within the restrictions surrounding him at that time.

PLG? Well, you could provide ten threads to debate his tenure and probably still not come to agreement.

Which brings us nicely to Ally. You would've thought that out of anyone, the man who would've been given the most leeway would be this guy but it doesn't appear to be the case in some quarters. What does surprise me is the level of criticism that's levelled at the guy this early in his managerial career.

It's almost as if some want him to fail so that they can say "told you!".

Did Walter not say he had taken the club as far as he could. Also he deserved to go after spending a fortune and failing to win 10 in a row against a pish Celtic team.

In my personal opinion we are being extremely harsh on ally. We have been rubbish in Europe and should still be in the europa league at a minimum but the chances we missed were a joke and that can't be blamed on the manager. The finances smith (first time) and souness had were on a different planet to what we have now. The transfer dealings were a joke but don't blame mccoist for that as he identifies targets and doesn't deal in the negotiations. He needs time and realistically who could we get that is better with the current restrictions? We get someone from abroad and he does well then the premiership comes sniffing and they leave. Then you have Scottish managers and there isn't anyone else in Scotland who I would want above mccoist. Give him time as he deserves it. He is a proper bluenose who is a legend at our club.

When the time comes that we are easy on our Managers and the pressure is off them will probably be the time we stop winning Championships.

There is some very harsh criticism but thats just the way it is at The Rangers, the need to always improve and do better.

Ally has taken over a championship winning side.

Souness inherted a team which had finished. 5th, 3rd, 3rd, 4th, 4th, 5th and 5th until he became manager and he romped it first season AND played some great football.

AND was given free licence to bring in some top top international players.

I don't for a moment think our managers get any more stick than managers of any other big club...or in fact, any club for that matter.

Managers always get criticism from some sections of the fans (and media), no matter what they win or who they pick...it goes with the territory.

You've got be be fucking thick skinned to manage a football team, and if you start listening to the criticism, you're fucked. (td)

Ever since I started being a Rangers supporter in 1953, we have had one of the most fickle supporter base in Scottish football, because when you get the amount of success we have, you just want more of it, and when we lose a game...It's a fucking disaster of biblical proportions.

Our managers generally know what they're letting themselves in for when they take the job...PLG excluded .

In my personal opinion we are being extremely harsh on ally. We have been rubbish in Europe and should still be in the europa league at a minimum but the chances we missed were a joke and that can't be blamed on the manager. The finances smith (first time) and souness had were on a different planet to what we have now. The transfer dealings were a joke but don't blame mccoist for that as he identifies targets and doesn't deal in the negotiations. He needs time and realistically who could we get that is better with the current restrictions? We get someone from abroad and he does well then the premiership comes sniffing and they leave. Then you have Scottish managers and there isn't anyone else in Scotland who I would want above mccoist. Give him time as he deserves it. He is a proper bluenose who is a legend at our club.

I've now read on here that neither Whyte nor ally nor the players are to blame for failing to win a single match out of 4 against mediocre opposition. So who is to blame then? How about the whole fucking lot of them are

I don't for a moment think our managers get any more stick than managers of any other big club...or in fact, any club for that matter.

Managers always get criticism from some sections of the fans (and media), no matter what they win or who they pick...it goes with the territory.

You've got be be fucking thick skinned to manage a football team, and if you start listening to the criticism, you're fucked. (td)

Ever since I started being a Rangers supporter in 1953, we have had one of the most fickle supporter base in Scottish football, because when you get the amount of success we have, you just want more of it, and when we lose a game...It's a fucking disaster of biblical proportions.

Our managers generally know what they're letting themselves in for when they take the job...PLG excluded .

Exactly. Lots of teams switch managers as soon as it's not working. We tend to persist with shite managers like McLeish and let them off with murder for ages.

If anything, managers get an easy ride up here. Few big clubs would allow their managers to play as awful football as we have played for much of the last decade

Exactly. Lots of teams switch managers as soon as it's not working. We tend to persist with shite managers like McLeish and let them off with murder for ages.

If anything, managers get an easy ride up here. Few big clubs would allow their managers to play as awful football as we have played for much of the last decade

This is my point about managers getting criticism. Now you mentioned McLeish, who according to some fans is arguably one of our best managers, while others say he was a load of fucking shite.

Now McLeish took us to the knockout stages of the CL for the first time ever, with a vastly inferior budget than Dick Advocaat ever had...In fact it was Advocaat who recommended McLeish to Murray, yet some fans say Advocaat was a better manager than McLeish...so that's why I say a manager should never listen to criticism from the fans, because no matter what you do, you're going to get slagged by somebody.

to your second point about managers getting an easy ride in Scotland, I think it's because a lot of fans will put up with shite football as long as their team is winning trophies.,,,But there are exceptions.

As an example, I'll apologise and refer to the filth supporters and two of their managers.

Tommy Burns assembled a team that the great unwashed loved to watch and he was never criticised...They won fuck all.

Wee Chesney assembled a team that the great unwashed hated to watch and he was pilloried unmercifully...They won a fucking lot.

I guess it's all about perception and personal opinion of what is good and what is shite.

Wonder if Mr Struth and Mr Symon had to put up with things like this......(Yes i do know the Internet was not about back then but indulge me)

I don't know about Mr Struth, mate...But Scot Symon was crucified by our supporters time and time again.

Scott Symon was always lambasted for tactical naivety and for being too old fashioned, and not modern enough. By fans and journalists alike.

He certainly was Sam...AND rightly so at times. That CWC loss to Bayern was a prime example of it.

BTW!!! How are you going young fella???/ I haven't had a yarn with you for ages, since I've been crook.

I hope all is well for you in the land of the long white cloud :beer1: