Dick Advocaat

gersandy

A pal of mine is adament Dick Advocaat ruined rangers. He reckons his big spending has ultimately caused all our money troubles.

I disagree, surely Mr Murray was holding the purse strings. And lets be honest, the guy gave us fantastic players like Numan, van Bronkhorst, and Ronald de Boer.

Lets also remember his success on the field (although not in europe), and it was Advocaat who pushed for the training ground. Remember Walter Smiths team trained in Bellahouston Park.

Whats other bluenoses thoughts on this?

A pal of mine is adament Dick Advocaat ruined rangers. He reckons his big spending has ultimately caused all our money troubles.

I disagree, surely Mr Murray was holding the purse strings. And lets be honest, the guy gave us fantastic players like Numan, van Bronkhorst, and Ronald de Boer.

Lets also remember his success on the field (although not in europe), and it was Advocaat who pushed for the training ground. Remember Walter Smiths team trained in Bellahouston Park.

think your pal could be right.

It is Advocaat's fault for buying overpriced shite, but Murray signed the cheques. That for me was when our problems started,you must remember we were £20million or so in the black when we sold Gascoigne. I'm of the opinion we were incredibly unlucky in Europe under Advocaat, just one campaign in the CL after Christmas would have cemented his place in folklore. Unbelievable irony is we did it at our lowest ebb in 05/06!!

Murray gave us these players though

Had Advocaat delivered what he should have done with the money available to him we wouldn't be in this position. However I agree the buck stops with Murray. He would have known the repercussions should Advocaat fail yet he took the gamble.

You cannot blame Advocaat as any manager is told what his budget is and he has to work within that. So didn't matter who the manager had been..Smith...MacLeish....PLG or Ally that was the budget at the time.

This budget lead to the bank telling David Murray to have a share issue for some £50m. The one that no house would underwrite any particular shortfall. leaving David Murray to move money from MIM into Rangers and some would say about time as he earned loads from owning Rangers.

Had Advocaat delivered what he should have done with the money available to him we wouldn't be in this position. However I agree the buck stops with Murray. He would have known the repercussions should Advocaat fail yet he took the gamble.

Were it not for a cracking Valencia side, we could have gone really far that year under DA. Shockingly bad luck (the two Bayern games come to mind) cost us hugely that year.

I do not think that we would have ever got back the monies spent on the players he bought instead would have been an ongoing thing to maintain the standard of success you mentioned.After all we would have been further down the road with regards to young player coming through the ranks.

IMO a lot of the problems stemmed from failing to make the champions league the year Fenerbache put us out in qualifying. Murray had us set up for the European millions every year and Advocaat failed in that part so has to take a bit of the blame like some other people have to take a share of the blame.

Another school of thought is that Walters panic buys after Kaunas put us over the edge.Advocatt was last century :D

Spending all that money that summer could bee seen as great foresight by somebody who seen MIM getting deep into trouble a perhaps a tax bill arriving so instead of waiting for all that to happen they threw the money at the team which went on to dominate Scottish football again and make it back from Europe.