Team for ICT game this weekend

IamRangers

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Would like to see a 4-3-1-2 with Bendikson in the hole behind Jelavic and Healy, high time Healey got a game.

I'd like to see this. (tu)

Bedoya/McKay/McCabe to play alongside Edu and Davis though, none of this McCulloch/Baartley as midfielders pish, isn't the preferred position for either of them.

McGregor

McMillan Goian Bocanegra Wallace

Whittaker Davis McKay Wylde

Bendiksen

Jelavic

Don't feel Bedoya is best suited on the wings and still not sure about Ortiz. McMillan at RB gives us better defensive cover with Whittaker going forward at RM. Edu has been doing great but would rather see an attacking approach to create more chances to fire home and Davis, McKay and Bendiksen should be able to do that. Also, Wylde and Wallace creating from the left.

Will never happen, but that's what I'd do (tu)

Aluko hasn't served his two match ban already has he? Seen people on twitter with the RM predictor hashtag putting them in their predictions and someone in this thread said him too but I just thought he was mistaken <cr>

He's still banned isn't he?

And to all those fans who say it's the 3 points that are important i will simply say this....we are in the business of entertainment. To entice and to keep fans watching us. If 3 points were all that mattered then our attendances wouldn't be dropping the way we are.

We can be as entertaining as fk but if we drop points people will be screaming - first and foremost win the game - then entertain - and to me winning is always more entertaining and losing!

We can be as entertaining as fk but if we drop points people will be screaming - first and foremost win the game - then entertain - and to me winning is always more entertaining and losing!

The mindset that keeps Rangers in the European doldrums and the majority of fans happy watching turgid shite week in week out.

I think you're mistaking just being a tad more positive with outright entertainment. They are two different things IMO. Surely the best way we can keep winning is by being more positive in our line-ups? By creating more chances to enable us to score more goals? At the moment we are getting by on creating 1/2 chances in a game and scoring them. That's far too fine a margin and cannot be sustained

McGregor

Whittaker Goianegra Wallace

Edu McKay

Davis Bendiksen Wylde

Jelavic

*want Bedoya to come on in a central role and see what he's like there, from what I heard he was outstanding against Corby, but it was Corby.

Did Kerkar not score a double against that mob? :lol:

If he did, then that says it all really!

I think you're mistaking just being a tad more positive with outright entertainment. They are two different things IMO. Surely the best way we can keep winning is by being more positive in our line-ups? By creating more chances to enable us to score more goals? At the moment we are getting by on creating 1/2 chances in a game and scoring them. That's far too fine a margin and cannot be sustained

We would all love great free flowing football - no one disagrees with that. My post was in reply to the basic essense that Entertainment comes first - but I dont think it does - winning comes first and to win you need to score - and thus winning is entertainment.

I also think Ally is a lot more positive in attitude than people give him credit for - he has consistently played Wylde/Naismith then Wylde/ Aluko when available - but we dont have great depth yet in that type of player - (Naismith is now out, Wylde missed two games, Aluko two games, even Lafferty has not been available recently - Healey aint cutting it, Hemmings inexperienced, TKB looks good but has 2 -3 partial games) so a combination of who is available and who we are playing comes into it - and I dont know of any sucessful manager who does not build a team on a solid, hard to beat base.

Ally has had one transfer window with a limited budget - and once he has next summers transfer window behind him then we can start to see his philosophy - but for me winning is more entertaining than losing with style - and by its nature in football to win you have to have created and taken your chances. Also as I said place would be in meltdown f we were playing great style and losing.

The mindset that keeps Rangers in the European doldrums and the majority of fans happy watching turgid shite week in week out.

So your answer is to do a Keegan at Newcastle - be as entertaining as possible? We would all love that - as long as we won! But if we played, say, the Kegan way and were losing games 4-3, 3-2 and say 4 points adrift at the top of the table - people would be SCREAMING for McCoist to tighten up! Ergo winning is whats important - we all want more entertainment but for most winning is first and foremost what we want. As I say elsewhere there is NO sucessful team that is first and foremost hard to beat!

We would all love great free flowing football - no one disagrees with that. My post was in reply to the basic essense that Entertainment comes first - but I dont think it does - winning comes first and to win you need to score - and thus winning is entertainment.

I also think Ally is a lot more positive in attitude than people give him credit for - he has consistently played Wylde/Naismith then Wylde/ Aluko when available - but we dont have great depth yet in that type of player - (Naismith is now out, Wylde missed two games, Aluko two games, even Lafferty has not been available recently - Healey aint cutting it, Hemmings inexperienced, TKB looks good but has 2 -3 partial games) so a combination of who is available and who we are playing comes into it - and I dont know of any sucessful manager who does not build a team on a solid, hard to beat base.

Ally has had one transfer window with a limited budget - and once he has next summers transfer window behind him then we can start to see his philosophy - but for me winning is more entertaining than losing with style - and by its nature in football to win you have to have created and taken your chances. Also as I said place would be in meltdown f we were playing great style and losing.

Fair points mate but I still feel that we need to be positive in general to maintain our lead. That doesn't mean gun-ho, wreckless or anything like that. Just more balanced and positive.

I also think that if we are to get the best out of Davis and Jelavic they need to play in a more positive team. Look at last year, before the League cup final we were toiling from one unisprired formation to another until a more positive team was "forced" on Walter after the injuries to McCulloch and Bartley. After a few teething problems (2-3 V Utd at home) that team came good and looked happy, positive and excited about playing. You cannot say that about our team at the mo as their body langauge suggests they hate playing this god awful system. Davis and Jelavic will only recover their form if we are attacking.

Fair points mate but I still feel that we need to be positive in general to maintain our lead. That doesn't mean gun-ho, wreckless or anything like that. Just more balanced and positive.

(tu)

Nobody is calling for Newcastle style football. What we are calling for is a little bit of positivity and some football actually being played. At the moment the lump it up the park and hope for a chance is not only awful to watch and will eventually kill the club but also cannot be sustained at any decent level.

Stop the Barcelona/Newcastle excuses for playing bad football. We just want to play positive football with maybe as a bonus some passing? Is that too much to ask?

So your answer is to do a Keegan at Newcastle - be as entertaining as possible? We would all love that - as long as we won! But if we played, say, the Kegan way and were losing games 4-3, 3-2 and say 4 points adrift at the top of the table - people would be SCREAMING for McCoist to tighten up! Ergo winning is whats important - we all want more entertainment but for most winning is first and foremost what we want. As I say elsewhere there is NO sucessful team that is first and foremost hard to beat!

And again i say that mentality of having to win every game using the same turgid tactics and the same average players is why we as a club do not progress one iota in Europe.

Beaten by diddy teams like Maribor and Malmo....remind me how well they fared in the Europa Cup this season?

This is a Scottish wide problem as the standard of football in this country has dropped dramatically.

And please point me in the direction of where i advocated copying a failure like Keegan or was that added to try and increase the strength of your argument.

I want this club to totally overhaul the mindset of your average Scottish fan by setting up scouting systems and coaching systems that bring through technically gifted footballers not athletes who can then be turned in to footballers.

For the last 20 or so years the mantra has been "win at all costs" regardless of it being a friendly a League Cup game or a minor European Game. The pressure heaped on the manager by the fans has got to the ridiculous level that when losing 3 pre-season games in Germany there were large sections of our support muttering about letting Ally go or he wasn't up to the job etc.

For the time being winning the league appears more crucial purely because of the finances rather than the prestige associated with winning it.

A catch 22 situation and one that will be very difiicult to get out of but get out of it we must otherwise we as a club will never progress.

And again i say that mentality of having to win every game using the same turgid tactics and the same average players is why we as a club do not progress one iota in Europe.

Beaten by diddy teams like Maribor and Malmo....remind me how well they fared in the Europa Cup this season?

This is a Scottish wide problem as the standard of football in this country has dropped dramatically.

And please point me in the direction of where i advocated copying a failure like Keegan or was that added to try and increase the strength of your argument.

I want this club to totally overhaul the mindset of your average Scottish fan by setting up scouting systems and coaching systems that bring through technically gifted footballers not athletes who can then be turned in to footballers.

For the last 20 or so years the mantra has been "win at all costs" regardless of it being a friendly a League Cup game or a minor European Game. The pressure heaped on the manager by the fans has got to the ridiculous level that when losing 3 pre-season games in Germany there were large sections of our support muttering about letting Ally go or he wasn't up to the job etc.

For the time being winning the league appears more crucial purely because of the finances rather than the prestige associated with winning it.

A catch 22 situation and one that will be very difiicult to get out of but get out of it we must otherwise we as a club will never progress.

It is a catch 22 situation and I 100% agree with the lack of patience in our fan base (and I am NOT trying to have a dig here but you dont come across as having patience - you come across as expecting immediate change) Your previous post seemsed to be advocating entertainment above all else and I think that is a wrong priority - it is winning

that we all expect - we keep hearing Celtic play better 'football' (and that also is a debate) but it has not created a lot of sucess recelntly for them.

Even if Ally does have in mind a total overhaul of the club philosophy - and I have seen encouraging signs (you will most likely disagree on these these) it is NOT going to happen overnight in a binary fashion. It will take time and any manager is goint to need time to do what we all want (Even Alex Ferguson needed 5 years at Manure to get it going - would we allow any manager that patience?

I said elsewhere on the thread that until after the next summer transfer window and a few games after that we will not treally know what Ally's philosophy is - he is a new manager, who can blame him for wanting to keep things tight, especially after his start. But the siggns are there - the playing of Wylde/Naismith - Wylde/Aluko and we have NO depth in these creative areas.

You are advocating a mindset change but Ally is a new manager, 6 months into the job - the mindset chage takes time and yet you dont seem to allow Ally the time to settle in, find his own style and then judge him. If a football team is doing shite and brings in a new manager there first reaction is always to make them difficult to beat - and then build from there as confidence grows. Ally is a new manager with a fan base that is extremely impatient, used to winning and needs time - afetr his start he needs confidence, which he seems to have, and now he needs a few transfer windows to show his style.

You are advocating a mindset change but Ally is a new manager, 6 months into the job - the mindset chage takes time and yet you dont seem to allow Ally the time to settle in, find his own style and then judge him. If a football team is doing shite and brings in a new manager there first reaction is always to make them difficult to beat - and then build from there as confidence grows.

Ally took over a championship winning side, a side which was playing great football at end of last season and has only gone backwards since taking over. I do hope your right and Ally has a vision for how we play football in a positive manner but I have yet to see or hear any indications that this is the case.

It is a catch 22 situation and I 100% agree with the lack of patience in our fan base (and I am NOT trying to have a dig here but you dont come across as having patience - you come across as expecting immediate change) Your previous post seemsed to be advocating entertainment above all else and I think that is a wrong priority - it is winning

that we all expect - we keep hearing Celtic play better 'football' (and that also is a debate) but it has not created a lot of sucess recelntly for them.

Even if Ally does have in mind a total overhaul of the club philosophy - and I have seen encouraging signs (you will most likely disagree on these these) it is NOT going to happen overnight in a binary fashion. It will take time and any manager is goint to need time to do what we all want (Even Alex Ferguson needed 5 years at Manure to get it going - would we allow any manager that patience?

I said elsewhere on the thread that until after the next summer transfer window and a few games after that we will not treally know what Ally's philosophy is - he is a new manager, who can blame him for wanting to keep things tight, especially after his start. But the siggns are there - the playing of Wylde/Naismith - Wylde/Aluko and we have NO depth in these creative areas.

You are advocating a mindset change but Ally is a new manager, 6 months into the job - the mindset chage takes time and yet you dont seem to allow Ally the time to settle in, find his own style and then judge him. If a football team is doing shite and brings in a new manager there first reaction is always to make them difficult to beat - and then build from there as confidence grows. Ally is a new manager with a fan base that is extremely impatient, used to winning and needs time - afetr his start he needs confidence, which he seems to have, and now he needs a few transfer windows to show his style.

Oh i have lots of patience for certain areas and aspects of our club namely the football. I have been saying the same thing for 20 odd years and have been screaming for change from top to bottom.

Where my patience wears thin is on areas you know only too well.

And this goes beyond Ally or whoever is in charge because it's the fans and the coaches and the scouts that have to change. Along with the footballing philosophy engrained in to the majority connected with it.

This "we're a small country" brings a small minded mentality.

We can't produce good players anymore...bullshit..tell that to other countries our size or slightly bigger.

I was a great supporter of PLG and would have given him a season or two minimum to see if his philosophy could work. I would do the same with McCoist or any other manager if i could see it was coupled with a shift in the type of player we rely on so often. He may or may not want to change our entire philosophy but if he does and i can see there is a real change of mindset which is going to yield results 2 or 3 years down the line then i would be prepared to wait.

If he persists with midfields and tactics like the Hibs game and that becomes the norm for "Hard" games then he makes it almost impossible to support an overly negative way of approaching our games.

However i will judge him at the end of the season and see for myself where it went right or wrong or where indeed it is heading. I would hope however that in the next few years changes are made all over Scottish Football that would make McCoist or more likely his replacements job a whole lot easier as it will probably take a generation to see the results of these changes.

Ally took over a championship winning side, a side which was playing great football at end of last season and has only gone backwards since taking over. I do hope your right and Ally has a vision for how we play football in a positive manner but I have yet to see or hear any indications that this is the case.

I would disagree that we have gone backwards - although I would certainly not say we had gone huge strides forward either but Ally (IMHO) has played positive formations when the players are available (look at Naismith out, lafferty out - wylde was out - aluko now out) - No denying Davis is off form - but the defence looks solid. I think pre the Naismith injury there were very encouraging signs we were playing better football - Naismith was a loss but Ally signed Aluko.

Ally also makes positive substitutions and much earlier than Walter ever did. If we has signed say Derek McInness and he had had exactly the same results as Ally in exactly the same manner we would all be saying there were encouraging signs and lets give him time to stamp his mark - the trouble I think is that Ally is 'tarred' (in some minds) with Walters reputation and it will take time to see what Ally the Manager is all about. We all want winning football with better technical quality and I think Ally will deliver.

Oh i have lots of patience for certain areas and aspects of our club namely the football. I have been saying the same thing for 20 odd years and have been screaming for change from top to bottom.

Where my patience wears thin is on areas you know only too well.

And this goes beyond Ally or whoever is in charge because it's the fans and the coaches and the scouts that have to change. Along with the footballing philosophy engrained in to the majority connected with it.

This "we're a small country" brings a small minded mentality.

We can't produce good players anymore...bullshit..tell that to other countries our size or slightly bigger.

I was a great supporter of PLG and would have given him a season or two minimum to see if his philosophy could work. I would do the same with McCoist or any other manager if i could see it was coupled with a shift in the type of player we rely on so often. He may or may not want to change our entire philosophy but if he does and i can see there is a real change of mindset which is going to yield results 2 or 3 years down the line then i would be prepared to wait.

If he persists with midfields and tactics like the Hibs game and that becomes the norm for "Hard" games then he makes it almost impossible to support an overly negative way of approaching our games.

However i will judge him at the end of the season and see for myself where it went right or wrong or where indeed it is heading. I would hope however that in the next few years changes are made all over Scottish Football that would make McCoist or more likely his replacements job a whole lot easier as it will probably take a generation to see the results of these changes.

.. and I nearly 100% agree with this post. I suppose I see encouraging signs (and I was a huge Walter fan) but Ally, utilising the current squad and when all players are available to him has in general put out positive teams. When I listened to him pre match against Hibs there was nothing overtly defensive in his mind. (I think he planned to keep things tight and bring on TKB on 60 min) - good thinking against a team known to play well in the first half, at home and with a new manager. I see that as something to prasie not be critical off)

Other signs of encouragment I see is that he does make earlier substitutions than Walter and does change tactics in a game. He uses modern tactics and he does seem to play more a 424 (start of season - and now a 433 mentality as opposed to a 451 mentality), while the long ball is not yet dead we play less of it but he has a limited squad - he has to transition that squad and keep winning while finding his feet as a manager (who had a bad start). We have also seen glimpses of youth and game time is what they need and 4 or 5 have had some game time and will get more - I dont believe in just bringing them in and leaving them - even Wylde had to earn his place.