Greegs, Goian, Bocanegra - their part in our downfall.

Colonel Mustard

Just to recap on the OP.

I know it tempts us into debating who was to blame for this goal or that goal, but the OP's more to do with these 3 players fucking us up in an attacking sense.

Sometimes it's hard for it to get slower, but the tempo is dropping to zero every time the centre halfs get the ball.

They are also guilty of punting it, just like Greegs is.

All 3 are generally pretty good from a DEFENSIVE point of view. I'm talking about tempo, and getting forward to attack.

Well, if you are looking for a teammate to pass the ball to, and theres noone, cause our midfield does not like moving around without the ball on their feet, what youre supposed to do? Put the ball in corner?

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Is any part of the problem being the width of the pitch ? The general reduced the pitch but the footballers we had at the time could pass move anywhere on the pitch. Teams come to ibrox press and press never seems any space for our players to utilise.

I think the pitch width might have been slightly reduced to allow seating expansion but there is clearly more width available.

Well, if you are looking for a teammate to pass the ball to, and theres noone, cause our midfield does not like moving around without the ball on their feet, what youre supposed to do? Put the ball in corner?

Take it forward into the space in front of you. An opposition player is soon going to leave who he is marking and come towards you. Your team mates then also have a few seconds to move into space as you come forward.

Is any part of the problem being the width of the pitch ? The general reduced the pitch but the footballers we had at the time could pass move anywhere on the pitch. Teams come to ibrox press and press never seems any space for our players to utilise.

I think the pitch width might have been slightly reduced to allow seating expansion but there is clearly more width available.

Haha, is that the tactic you employ on Football Manager.

The bigger the pitch against mediocre teams the better.

Dundee Utd found plenty of room today.

Just to recap on the OP.

I know it tempts us into debating who was to blame for this goal or that goal, but the OP's more to do with these 3 players fucking us up in an attacking sense.

Sometimes it's hard for it to get slower, but the tempo is dropping to zero every time the centre halfs get the ball.

All 3 are generally pretty good from a DEFENSIVE point of view. I'm talking about tempo, and getting forward to attack.

What if Ally told them to play the long ball though? Do they do what they think is best or what their manager told them to do?

Surely if Ally told them to stop playing the long ball they would have.

Take it forward into the space in front of you. An opposition player is soon going to leave who he is marking and come towards you. Your team mates then also have a few seconds to move into space as you come forward.

I dont think David Weir was much of a 'going forward type' of defender aswell, what about him? As far as i remember Bougherra used to do that. When the midfielders in front of you hide, theres no much you can do about it, instead of passing the ball back or kicking it forward. Saying that, imo our main problem is that our midfielders are too afraid to get back and take the ball from our defense, then turn around, BEAT A MAN and create chance to a fellow teammate.

i dnt believe im going to say this, but our defence was solid until whitt got injured. he is constantly slaughtered about his defending(i also comment on it).

however since hes been out we have looked so shaky/poor defensively. maybe the fact he is a natural right back gives the rest of the defence confidense, maybe the fact he is attacking 90% of the time limits anything coming down our right side.

whatever it is, we miss whitt alot.

still not worth 25k a week

i dnt believe im going to say this, but our defence was solid until whitt got injured. he is constantly slaughtered about his defending(i also comment on it).

however since hes been out we have looked so shaky/poor defensively. maybe the fact he is a natural right back gives the rest of the defence confidense, maybe the fact he is attacking 90% of the time limits anything coming down our right side.

whatever it is, we miss whitt alot.

still not worth 25k a week

:lol:

I dont think David Weir was much of a 'going forward type' of defender aswell, what about him? As far as i remember Bougherra used to do that. When the midfielders in front of you hide, theres no much you can do about it, instead of passing the ball back or kicking it forward. Saying that, imo our main problem is that our midfielders are too afraid to get back and take the ball from our defense, then turn around, BEAT A MAN and create chance to a fellow teammate.

You don't want both doing it. When Davie Smith was our sweeper, he was the man to bring it out of defence. As you say, Boogy did it alongside Weir.

For both not to bother their arse, or be incapable of doing it, is causing a problem.

The most basic part of football is pass and move..we can't do either and when in posession of the ball the pace is non-existent.We are easy to play against because most other teams just need to sit in and we will punt it straight at them and then they take us on the counter because we can't close down or tackle.So in summary we can't pass and move,have no pace and can't close down or tackle.NOT LOOKING GOOD.

Yes those are the Basics.

What if Ally told them to play the long ball though? Do they do what they think is best or what their manager told them to do?

Surely if Ally told them to stop playing the long ball they would have.

I've thought about that. It's my worst fear...if these are Ally's preferred tactics, then we're fucked.

Similarly right enough, if they are doing it against Ally's instructions, what the fuck is going on?

OP is spot on unfortunately, but i think Bartley has a big part to do with it. He seems to freak out every time he has the ball at his feet and more than a few moments to do something with it. He seems more freaked out by time and space than he does by pressure - his approach seems to be that pressure is OK because he can just hoof the shit out of it or try some stupid floating sliding lofted long ball, where as with time he looks like he is about to wet his pants.

Whittaker needs to be back.

Never thought i would say that...

Our movement off the ball is so fucking horrific that players are often left with either a pointless short pass or aimless long ball.

We literally have no idea of how to move intelligently, how to create space or how to use any space that we find by accident.

Couple of good games we played in Jan, we kept the ball down & particularly last week looked comfy on the ball & dominated.

Was worried from the off today when the ball spent the first 5 minutes without touching the ground.

There was obviously some discord between Greegs and the rest when someone slagged him for banging it long & he seemed to say there was nothing else on.

Not exactly pulling in the same direction if would seem.

Just to recap on the OP.

Bartley is shite as a RB. I think he's a decent enough CB but a right back no way.

There are far too many long punts up the park. We need players like Davis, Aluko & to a lesser extent Wylde and Celik to really get the ball on the deck and make things happen.

I think there are people far more culpable for our lack of creativity than the CB's. Bigger and better performances are needed from Davis & Wylde and Celik needs to make an impact (tu)

I agree to an extent, but a few times I've seen Boca charge into the opposition half and create a passing move.

Goian is pretty much no nonsense, tackle and hoof. We've always known that. McGregor hoofs a bit, but has created a few goals from them.

Overall though, I agree with some points, but others in our team should be shouldering more blame.

Couple of good games we played in Jan, we kept the ball down & particularly last week looked comfy on the ball & dominated.

Was worried from the off today when the ball spent the first 5 minutes without touching the ground.

There was obviously some discord between Greegs and the rest when someone slagged him for banging it long & he seemed to say there was nothing else on.

Not exactly pulling in the same direction if would seem.

I'm getting more and more worried that it's because no one is quite sure of the direction we're aiming for.

On the one hand, if there is no guidance, then we're fucked. On the other hand, if the guidance isn't being followed, then what the fuck is going on.

Ally's starting to give me diahorrea.

Seen a bit of the Dundee UTD game today and Rangers seemed to be using the same tactic, pass the ball up to the half way line and run out off ideas so they just pass it back to the defence, I was going to watch the rest off the game but decided to do something more exciting, I stood in front off a mirror and watched my hair grow.

I agree to an extent, but a few times I've seen Boca charge into the opposition half and create a passing move.

Goian is pretty much no nonsense, tackle and hoof. We've always known that. McGregor hoofs a bit, but has created a few goals from them.

Overall though, I agree with some points, but others in our team should be shouldering more blame.

We could always blame Healy and Aluko for not being able to outjump Kenneth and head it through to their keeper.

Mcgregor was at fault for the first goal IMO. The original ball coming across wasn't particularly high or wicked from rankin. It was almost ontop of mcgregor and it Seemed to catch him out for some reason... But it looked perfectly retrievable.

To blame him for the second is wrong though.

Mcgregor was at fault for the first goal IMO. The original ball coming across wasn't particularly high or wicked from rankin. It was almost ontop of mcgregor and it Seemed to catch him out for some reason... But it looked perfectly retrievable.

To blame him for the second is wrong though.

It was really windy inside the stadium.

Seen a bit of the Dundee UTD game today and Rangers seemed to be using the same tactic, pass the ball up to the half way line and run out off ideas so they just pass it back to the defence, I was going to watch the rest off the game but decided to do something more exciting, I stood in front off a mirror and watched my hair grow.

You sound like a right diehard.

The last time I wasn't interested in every second that Rangers were on the park, was when my auld maw stuck me on her tit for my first dinner.

Our movement off the ball is so fucking horrific that players are often left with either a pointless short pass or aimless long ball.

We literally have no idea of how to move intelligently, how to create space or how to use any space that we find by accident.

This is where Naismith comes in. The link he provided with Jelavic and Davis and how the three brought each other into the game was devastating at times. However, with Jela gone and Naismith out... It's sad that there's nobody else that is at least partly adept at doing what Naismith does.