Greegs, Goian, Bocanegra - their part in our downfall.

Colonel Mustard

I've commented on these 3 before, but it's becoming more apparent to me how much of a problem they are, and they are doing my tits in.

Greegs might be a very good keeper, and the 2 centre halfs might be reasonably good at stopping attacks, but by fuck the rest of their game leaves a lot to be desired.

McGregor's distribution is woeful, and his punts up the park lose us possession almost every time. This is obviously not new, so why is this not being sorted by Ally, or why has Greegs not figured out how shite a tactic it is for himself?

As for Goian and Bocanegra, they slow our tempo down so much that it's unbelievable. Their punts up the park lose us as much possession as the goalie does, and when these 2 do play the ball, (and that is quite often due to the number of times the ball ends being filtered back to them), 1 of 3 things is usually going to happen...

1. They are going to meander about for a few passes between themselves or someone else in the back 4, then be put under pressure and knock it back for a Greegsy blooter to take place.

2. They fanny about with a couple of passes to and fro, then chip it forward for a defender to head away, or chest down and come back at us.

3. Davis has to come back and take a 2 yard pass from one of them, and try to carry it forward while the 2 of them have a wee walk behind him.

I'm also sick of how Bocanegra (especially) plays the "when in doubt, get it out" card, even when he's under little pressure, and even when we're chasing a game and we have to get possession to get the ball forward. I've lost count of the number of times he casually nods or kicks a ball into touch in a challenge when we need to take a risk to get possession of the ball and get going forward. Goian and Bartley do the same, but Boca is the worst culprit.

Lastly, could they please stop fouling cunts when we are trying to keep a game flowing? Instead of running alongside and attacker and winning the ball cleanly, these 2 along with Edu and Bartley, continually seem to just take the lazy option and give away a foul.

Sorry to get on a downer with 3 of RM's favourites, but these guys are slowing down our tempo at every turn, with their fannying about, fouling, and punting, and are contributing nothing to us getting forward. I don't expect Boogy type runs to the bye line leaving 4 players in their wake, but running into space in front of them with the ball, then passing it forward to a team mate is a minimum requirement for a defender.

Every other player has to do more than one job...full backs have to attack AND defend...attackers have to score goals AND defend from the front...midfielders have to get forward AND track back. Bocanegra and Goian seem to think that all they have to do is defend and that's their job finished.

Not good enough. They contribute most to the whole shitey, slow tempo of the team.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Boca and Goian are looking for a midfielder to come short, resulting in them holding onto the ball for vast amounts of time and eventually resorting to the long ball tactic which inevitably fails.

Our midfield is our biggest downfall, as good as Edu has been this season he can't do it all alone.

I'm also sick of how Bocanegra (especially) plays the "when in doubt, get it out" card, even when he's under little pressure, and even when we're chasing a game and we have to get possession to get the ball forward. I've lost count of the number of times he casually nods or kicks a ball into touch in a challenge when we need to take a risk to get possession of the ball and get going forward. Goian and Bartley do the same, but Boca is the worst culprit.

Lastly, could they please stop fouling cunts when we are trying to keep a game flowing? Instead of running alongside and attacker and winning the ball cleanly, these 2 along with Edu and Bartley, continually seem to just take the lazy option and give away a foul.

This part annoys me the most. I think Boca is arguably the best footballer we have and his need to resort to the 'if in doubt' tactic baffles me. I wonder what the coaching staff are telling him to do as a a defender.

The 2nd goal really highlighted a lack of communication between the 3.

But yes these 3 are not without blame and get away with it because the mind ios already made up about who's to blame for a bad result.

Boca and Goian are looking for a midfielder to come short, resulting in them holding onto the ball for vast amounts of time and eventually resorting to the long ball tactic which inevitably fails.

Our midfield is our biggest downfall, as good as Edu has been this season he can't do it all alone.

Why do they need a midfielder coming short when they have 20 or 30 yards space in front of them?

Take the ball forward, then play it to someone further up the park, instead of knocking a sideways pass to another centre half until it eventually has to go back to the keeper because an attacker chases you down, or get lumped up the park again.

Can't fault boca IMO goian always has looked a problem from early on boca seems to mark him

Mcgregor quality spl keeper makes an occasional but rare mistake. can't deal with crosses why I personally don't think he will get a big move

I never knew that our keeper and our two centre backs are letting us down that hard. In fact the only defenders in the world that are stupid enough to pass the ball to each other or give it back to the keeper when no other options. Awful.

We really do need a Kevin Thompson Type tough, running Box to Box Midfielder who will come Back make the Run, and Pass at the same time .A Midfielder with an Engine, and Good Tackle, Thompson had all that.

Ian Ferguson had it too but he also had an awesome shot.

I have to agree with the Tactics of those Players and coupled with the RB position we are beginning to show cracks in our Defence that where never there previously.But it is our Midfield that needs sorting .Too Light in there.

And I do wish Greegsy's big Punt would stop ,its the Bine of our Play, and we constantly , constantly lose Possession through it.

1st goal , Goian has to try and stop the cross after the overhit corner as none of our mids/forwards chase it,, ball in ..by the time he gets back they get a free header...

2nd goal, mervan leaves the lb to run on to the one-two, bocanegra is torn between going to russell or pickin up the TWO running midfielders that are piling in for a cutback cos our mids are nowhere to be seen.....watch the vids...

i do agree that these 2 need to up their game but they are being asked to do the jobs others dont...

OP's spot on, sadly.

Also think Greegs has lost it with one on one's and left Russell the whole goal to score in today.

If he'd 'stayed big', as they say, Russell would've shot straight at him.

You can't blame him for the second goal fs. If he would have stayed big he would have shot along the deck.

The most basic part of football is pass and move..we can't do either and when in posession of the ball the pace is non-existent.We are easy to play against because most other teams just need to sit in and we will punt it straight at them and then they take us on the counter because we can't close down or tackle.So in summary we can't pass and move,have no pace and can't close down or tackle.NOT LOOKING GOOD.

we need to do it the souness way. goalie only allowed to roll the ball to the fullbacks. fullbacks then move the ball forward. I`m sure he used to fine woods if he punted it when he didn`t need to. Souness wanted total rangers possession. Not giving the ball away all the time.

we need to do it the souness way. goalie only allowed to roll the ball to the fullbacks. fullbacks then move the ball forward. I`m sure he used to fine woods if he punted it when he didn`t need to. Souness wanted total rangers possession. Not giving the ball away all the time.

Does that mean we need to spend 'loadamoney' again.

yeah but our full backs shit it when they get the ball..and they dont have souness to answer to after the game..

i agree with you . goian looks like his confidence has dropped big time . boca not been as solid as he has been . as for greegs he looks a bit disheartened with everything thats going on round about him.

Do you expect any different? They are humans ffs, we got knocked out of 4 competitions this season, we lost huge advantage and now it looks almost impossible for us to win the only trophy we are still in for. Must be hard to see players like Jig in the team, when you know they are contributing nothing, or players out of form. Must be also hard to see our woeful tactics, players out of position or even your manager who is always talking how things are ok, the boys played well, and yet we struggle at home, especially, and weve been playing terrible football for months. And compare that to the way we played before the Naisy injury and see the difference. We need changes, but when that is obvious and yet the changes doesnt come, that affects you, somehow. That looks normal to me.

Just to recap on the OP.

I know it tempts us into debating who was to blame for this goal or that goal, but the OP's more to do with these 3 players fucking us up in an attacking sense.

Sometimes it's hard for it to get slower, but the tempo is dropping to zero every time the centre halfs get the ball.

They are also guilty of punting it, just like Greegs is.

All 3 are generally pretty good from a DEFENSIVE point of view. I'm talking about tempo, and getting forward to attack.

We really do need a Kevin Thompson Type tough, running Box to Box Midfielder who will come Back make the Run, and Pass at the same time.

We need a Brian Laudrup; someone who can basically win the game alone, no matter how much mince is served up by anyone else.

Wonder if we could sort out a trial when he's over in March? :craphead: