The riddle of Tom Vallance's badge.

Colonel Mustard

I think it is now, but when Vallance was a member it was Clydesdale.

I prepare to stand corrected.

Where does this 'Swindon Rangers' link come from, Colonel? I knew the story of a rugby team called Rangers appearing in print and the name being adopted, but this is the first I've heard of the other name. Interesting development.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Where does this 'Swindon Rangers' link come from, Colonel? I knew the story of a rugby team called Rangers appearing in print and the name being adopted, but this is the first I've heard of the other name. Interesting development.

It's been kind of accepted I think, in places like The Gallant Pioneers book and elsewhere, that a book by CW Allcock had a feature on Swindon Rangers Rugby Club, to which Moses took a shine to the name.

SRRC are supposed to have also played in white shirts with a blue star on the chest.

It's been kind of accepted I think, in places like The Gallant Pioneers book and elsewhere, that a book by CW Allcock had a feature on Swindon Rangers Rugby Club, to which Moses took a shine to the name.

SRRC are supposed to have also played in white shirts with a blue star on the chest.

Cheers. Every day's a schoolday.

Maybe McBoyd looked into this

I made a few posts about it last year.

Generally the accepted theory on the star is in link with the Clyde Rowing Club, but I consider it too much of a coincedence that the team The Rangers took their name from also wore white shirts and blue stars on the chest. I'd go as far to say that Rangers gave Clyde the star idea, not vice versa, I have no source for that, just theory.

Gordon on the Founders Trail once showed me an article written in the early years that said "you have to understand dear reader that a rowing club existed in link with the rangers" (something similar) - a Rangers rowing club?

http://rangers1872.blogspot.com/2010/04/1877-cup-final-shirt-at-toffs.html

http://rangers1872.blogspot.com/2010/05/clyde-amateur-rowing-club-boathouse.html

Could it be that Tom Vallance is the captain. The lion on the badge is the Rangers Lion rather than the Scottish lion which is thinner. Whats the history of the Blue Star? Thought it may have connections with shipping. Great thread. Love this stuff

I still think that Tom Vallance is NOT wearing the Rangers strip, but indeed wearing the scotland strip of that year due to his appearances V. england + wales. As he is also wearing different coloured shorts than the others.

Im still trying to check why McLintock has double rampant on his VOL top. Or is that the scotland top of the year he played?

Colour photographs would suffice Colonel Mustard??

Came across this:

The 1st Lanarkshire Volunteers used the ground for drill purposes as well as rugby and soccer and cricket matches

The ground or more accurately where it once stood is now featured in the Gallant Pioneers Heritage Trail tracing the birth of Rangers-- www.thegallantpioneers.co.uk

wondered if Tom Vallance had military connections, could this be why he is wearing the crest?

I still think that Tom Vallance is NOT wearing the Rangers strip, but indeed wearing the scotland strip of that year due to his appearances V. england + wales. As he is also wearing different coloured shorts than the others.

Im still trying to check why McLintock has double rampant on his VOL top. Or is that the scotland top of the year he played?

Surely has something to do with being in the Army or something.

maybe still enlisted while playing.

Surely has something to do with being in the Army or something.

maybe still enlisted while playing.

Its a possibility, but Britain was a major colonnial power at the time and I dont think any enlisted men wouldve had time to play the amount of football he played. Most of them wouldve been abroad for years at a time.

Its a possibility, but Britain was a major colonnial power at the time and I dont think any enlisted men wouldve had time to play the amount of football he played. Most of them wouldve been abroad for years at a time.

Came across this:

Third Lanark FC are unique in the annals of Scottish if not British football as they were borne from the 3rd Regment of the Lanarkshire Rifle Volunteers in 1872.

Their increasing 'professionalism' was confirmed in the Volunteers Act of 1863 by which time the Volunteers could now be called out for active military service instead of being utilised solely for defence purposes.

http://www.hellfire-corner.demon.co.uk/livingston.htm

Arsenal crest also shows a military history.

That's not a "double rampant". It's presumably a lion rampant and a unicorn, from the Royal Coat of Arms of Scotland.

There's a mention of this in the first post of the thread.

No chance IMO. That would leave a shitload of coincidences concerning the fact that all of those sporting the badges played for Scotland.

Stranger things have happened although your probably right , Think it could be a case for Columbo , cause you got me and many more intrigued and totally stumped , maybe McBoyd will come up with the solution :sherlock:

Came across this:

Third Lanark FC are unique in the annals of Scottish if not British football as they were borne from the 3rd Regment of the Lanarkshire Rifle Volunteers in 1872.

Their increasing 'professionalism' was confirmed in the Volunteers Act of 1863 by which time the Volunteers could now be called out for active military service instead of being utilised solely for defence purposes.

I think Dial Square, then Woolwich Arsenal, were more of a works team for a munitions factory rather than part of the armed forces.

Came across this:

The Royal Engineers from Chatham competed in the first three FA Cup Finals, winning the third one.

I think Dial Square, then Woolwich Arsenal, were more of a works team for a munitions factory rather than part of the armed forces.

your correct came across this:

Records show that the Gunners at Woolwich regularly played the Royal Engineers at Chatham; the earliest fixture took place in Chatham in 1895 though the result is not known. Although the two towns are just 26 miles apart it took the best part of a day to get there overland so the usual mode of transport was down the Thames by boat.

The three parts of the Artillery effectively functioned as separate corps until 1924, when the three amalgamated and became one regiment. Only then can the Gunners claim to have a represnetative side based on the organisation of today with games against the RAOC, The Durham Light Infantry and the Sappers.

The Gunners have a tenuous link with Arsenal FC so far as that in 1886 soldiers and worked at the Royal Arsenal in Woolwich formed a football club initially known as Dial Square (named after the workshops in the heart of the complex), playing their first game on 11 December (a 6-0 victory over Eastern Wanderers) on the Isle of Dogs. Renamed Royal Arsenal two weeks later the club entered the professional football league as Woolwich Arsenal in 1893. They moved to north London in 1913. Royal Ordnance Factories FC was another successful team set up by soldiers of the Royal Arsenal but only lasted until 1896.

http://www.armyfa.com/News/Corps/RA/

Intrigued as to why McLintock is wearing Royal Coat of Arms

That's not a "double rampant". It's presumably a lion rampant and a unicorn, from the Royal Coat of Arms of Scotland.

There's a mention of this in the first post of the thread.

Sorry CM but not convinced thats the Royal Coat of Arms of Scotland. Tried zooming in and enhancing but still too vague.

Does it have to be for Internationals? If you check the Dumbarton team from 1883, one player is wearing two badges. It also states in the piece that players wore badges if they represented their County.

http://www.historicalkits.co.uk/Scottish_Football_League/Dumbarton/Dumbarton.htm

Could the Vale player have represented his county as well as his country?

Does it have to be for Internationals? If you check the Dumbarton team from 1883, one player is wearing two badges. It also states in the piece that players wore badges if they represented their County.

http://www.historicalkits.co.uk/Scottish_Football_League/Dumbarton/Dumbarton.htm

Could the Vale player have represented his county as well as his country?

That's a good wee read mate, and interesting to see the players with 2 badges.

I doubt that a Royal coat of arms (on the VOL player) would represent a county representation, but some things are stranger than fiction.