FAW want Euro spots for exiled teams - Possibly Rangers related

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/17346143

Basically, the Welsh FA want European football for either Cardiff or Swansea if they win the Welsh Cup. UEFA are apparently considering it. Obviously this is so that they can get their coefficient up, but for those saying we'd never play in Europe if we went in to England...

Note: I still don't see us moving to England ever, but this may encourage certain people.

They can't have it both ways, they have to qualify as an "English" team or rejoin the League of Wales.

Unfortunately they can. The football politics of the UK will always be a headache for UEFA. If the old firm were to play in England they could still be put forward to represent Scotland in Europe by the SFA. Like wise is being suggested in Wales. It's messy but possible

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/17346143

Basically, the Welsh FA want European football for either Cardiff or Swansea if they win the Welsh Cup. UEFA are apparently considering it. Obviously this is so that they can get their coefficient up, but for those saying we'd never play in Europe if we went in to England...

Note: I still don't see us moving to England ever, but this may encourage certain people.

When you say the Welsh Fa want European football for Cardiff/Swansea if they win the Welsh cup, you actually mean a chance at European football.Winning the Welsh cup would only offer a europa league qualification place.

And even though you mention this arrangement would be organised to improve their co-efficient, I can't imagine it would ever be improved to a point where they would get more than a europa league qualification place(i.e direct entry to europa league or Champions league Qualification place).

So this doesn't really apply to us, because we are only interested in Champions league football, aren't we?

Are you thinking of Newport County back in the early 80s? They qualified for the Cup Winners' Cup by winning the Welsh Cup, even though they were part of the English league set up at the time.

Might well be, I just have very early memories of thinking it quite odd.

Are you thinking of Newport County back in the early 80s? They qualified for the Cup Winners' Cup by winning the Welsh Cup, even though they were part of the English league set up at the time.

Wrexham were the last ones to play in it(1995).

Don't think this is fair on clubs that play in league of wales as this is taking money off them. What if they drew liverpool or newcastle live tv money would help a club like Bangor City for example no end financially. Cardiff or Swansea compete in F.A. and league cup anyway don't they in england.

The FA have only recently given the Welsh teams competing in England the right to qualify for Europe.

To be fair, I don't think it was ever an issue until recently, given the performances and positions of Cardiff and Swansea.

To be fair, I don't think it was ever an issue until recently, given the performances and positions of Cardiff and Swansea.

I remember it being discussed back in the early eighties when Swansea were leading the First Division at a few different points throughout the season.

I remember it being discussed back in the early eighties when Swansea were leading the First Division at a few different points throughout the season.

Before my time, sadly. I take it nothing came of it?

I also think (hopefully my fading memory is correct) some English clubs use to enter the Welsh Cup in the 80's and possibly 90's and in some cases won it. I faintly recall Hereford and Shrewsbury winning but denied entry into Europe because they were an English club. Hopefully someone has a better and more accurate recollection than me.