friendly or bawbag

ylfb

As I've posted before I met Gordon Smith and Walter Smith (on two separate occasions) last year and both were excellent to talk to. Both went way above the 30 minutes of allotted time for the interviews to have some general footie chat and it was a pleasure to meet both.

Andy Goram was an absolute gent when I met him, I was younger though. He was in my town (his ex stays up the road from my folks) and he took time to play football with the kids etc.

Met Brian Laudrup at the otherwise forgettable old firm last January and he was very polite (as I crumbled with nerves asking for his autograph).

A surprising one for my age but I met Eric Caldow when we played Ayr United at Somerset Park and he was talking away to my grandad who he seemed to know quite well lol.

all in all, had great experiences meeting players, managers etc

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My top 3

Albertz: used to 'pop' into Mather Hire in Helensburgh quite often, Top bloke

Klos: bumped into outside a supermarket, was a bit awkward so didn't say much

McLeish: was mascot a couple of times when he managed Motherwell, used to drink in 'Tennents' also (He even put up with ma Da and hes an arsehole, so top bloke just for that :) )

Amoruso - Top bloke used to pick up his dry cleaning from the shop my wife managed. All the staff liked him, even the Tims.

Laudrup - I met him when I was picking up tickets for a European game, asked me if I was looking forward to the game.

Ian Ferguson - Meet him at a rangers do, was nice enough big guy.

But my best of all is Gazza - I met him and spoke to him, told him he was my sons idol, he sent out signed photos when my son wrote him a letter, he was a true gentleman, total nutcase, but his heart is in the right place.

Andy Goram was really nice to me, I met him in the Central Station he was going to the pub next to it, 29 steps or something, he was sober though, have heard he was prat when pissed.

so goram is a wank going by most people on here.hes doing a speakers afternoon in april that i'll be attending so hopefully manage some sort of chat with him as the place only holds 30-40 people

Seems to be when he is drinking, - a few have said that he was fine when sober, including me.

so goram is a wank going by most people on here.hes doing a speakers afternoon in april that i'll be attending so hopefully manage some sort of chat with him as the place only holds 30-40 people

That the one in Ayrshire?

Met the whole current squad & a few legends of the game for us, all brand new Greegsy is a top bloke though as is big jig they are always up for banter & a laugh & Kyle Bartley openly said infront of folk before the last old firm he hated scott brown :lol: Allan & Lee have been my favourites to meet though & young Kane Hemmings (tu)

£60 to see goram,john brown and some other chap,drink free for 4 hours and a 3 course dinner :disappointment:

my mate is paying for my ticket thats the only reason i'm going :beer1:

Enjoy it mate (tu)

Bomber seems to do a lot of these kinda events, he was near here recently him and Donald Findlay, the event was held in a catholic hall, pissed myself when I saw the poster advertising it :lol:

aye in revels in kilwinning,shitehole,you know it?

I know the owners in there very well actually mate.

Also on topic I know Steven Naismith, Kris Boyd Rory Loy even from their time at killie from working for the company that provides the food at rugby park.

Met Lee McCulloch with my wee cousin after a charity meet thing. He spoke to us for ages then she asked for his autograph and he refused and said someone as brave as her to survive the disease deserves a memory and gave her tickets for a game and she got to meet the squad.

If he never does another nice thing in his life I will love him for that forever.

Gordon Smith was a friend of my parents and went to school with my mum and attended her funeral so met him a few times a really nice guy and his niece Gillian is stunning.

Met McGregor, Hutton, Broadfoot & Edu in a certain Glasgow club after a recent round of international fixtures. All were more than happy to get a pic and a chat except Edu who hid at the critical moment. No change there then.

Big marv is always brilliant, will always chat away with people hes out, he's shite at pool though.

Met durie a few times always good as well, at new year he was at same party as me and he was kind enough to get me a few drinks.

As people have mentioned john greig is a bit of a wank, told me to fuck off at a sportsmans dinner when I asked for a autograph. All the barca 72 guys were there and he was the only one not willing to have a chat with people.

Also I remember meeting goram at the dockas is lisbon last year and thought he was a laugh. I'm sure other bears remember him clapping his shoes together in the air and everyone starting belting out the sash.

"Shoe, shoe, sure it is old but it is beautiful...."

Had hospitality tickets for the Bursaspor talked to Papac for 5 minutes before the game and thought he was a gent but he achieved legend status about a month later when I was out having dinner with the wife, felt a tap on my shoulder and turned round to see him and Neil Alexander out with their wives. Sasa said "How are you doing? Bursaspor right?" I was kind of dumbstruck he would remeber a fan like that.

Used to live round the corner from John Brown, nice guy always said hello and was happy to have a chat. Rangers to the core.

Super Ally, Stuart McCall and Jim Duffy all used to drink together in a pub I went to when I was younger fairly regularly. For a professional sportsman McCall could put away a heroic amount of lager. Even though he played for the bheasts from the east Duffy is very much a Rangers man.

Talking of timbledom players I went to firhill with one of my mates whos a plastic whistle fan for a midweek game and Danny McGrain sat next to us, really nice guy and chatted away for the whole game. Big Eck was our boss at the time and McGrain couldn't speak highly enough of him. Also met Tommy Burns a couple of times and he really was a lovely guy, had a good laugh with him about "Goram breaking his heart". I could see why Walter Smith thought so highly of him.

Met jorg alberz walking home from school when his motorbike broke down on the motorway in clydebank, signed tons of autographs while waiting for his bike to be fixed, total legend

Also McCoist in bar brell on halloween 1 year, absolute gent,

Funniest was seeing chris Burke and stevie smith getting absolutely no female attention in the garage while lovenkrands was showing them how it was done with some stunner in g2

Which gers players have we met and thought right nice guy and who have we met and thought what a tit av met mcgregor and was bang on but andy goram was a total bellend when a met him

Most I've meet have but brand new!

One that stands out , met michael mols outside the cooper suite before a game, stopped to take pictures with us all but kept looking up at the tv scream. Someone asked what he was looking at and he stated his son was mascot that day but insisted on staying and having his picture took with every last person!

The hammer aswell was brilliant.

Jeremy clemont - wanker!

Since the mid 1950's I've met far too many good guys to mention,as I dare say several RM members have also done,but I think I can safely say that the guys from that era were arguably more friendly than todays so called "superstars"

Even the "bawbags" of that era were still reasonably friendly to the fans,because if they weren't they would have got a boot in the arse from Messrs Struth and Symon for their rudeness. :pipe: