HMRC Rumour - They regret picking the wrong case

A former work colleague, who I still keep in contact with and has now worked for HMRC for over a decade as an accountant has told me that the rumour in the office is that HMRC senior officials are heavily critical of the handling of our case, that it was rushed through, and probably not the sort of case they would have liked to get such publicity. Indeed, they are thinking that it's been a clumsy own goal when there were bigger cases with more money at stake with much more damning evidence. The likelihood of getting a minimal return with the tax case being now dwarfed by the wider Rangers story was not he kind of high profile case they wanted to be caught up in, with many much more clear cut cases available.

He stressed to me that he is not offering this as fact, but believes it to be highly likely given the people, three or four of them, who have told him this. They also have used words such as "strange" and "suspicious" regarding the decision to go after Rangers with such haste.

He isn't a Rangers fan and neither are those telling him this stuff. I've heard similar before, including on here, but thought it was worth sharing.

A former work colleague, who I still keep in contact with and has now worked for HMRC for over a decade as an accountant has told me that the rumour in the office is that HMRC senior officials are heavily critical of the handling of our case, that it was rushed through, and probably not the sort of case they would have liked to get such publicity. Indeed, they are thinking that it's been a clumsy own goal when there were bigger cases with more money at stake with much more damning evidence. The likelihood of getting a minimal return with the tax case being now dwarfed by the wider Rangers story was not he kind of high profile case they wanted to be caught up in, with many much more clear cut cases available.

He stressed to me that he is not offering this as fact, but believes it to be highly likely given the people, three or four of them, who have told him this. They also have used words such as "strange" and "suspicious" regarding the decision to go after Rangers with such haste.

He isn't a Rangers fan and neither are those telling him this stuff. I've heard similar before, including on here, but thought it was worth sharing.

if following this mess, HMRC go after a spate of clubs or other business for using EBT's i think we should be entitled to know who picked Rangers & why.

if following this mess, HMRC go after a spate of clubs or other business for using EBT's i think we should be entitled to know who picked Rangers & why.

He says that sort of information rarely gets out but if what he's heard is true, several people, no names mentioned, will be getting swiftly fired after an inquiry.

He says that sort of information rarely gets out but if what he's heard is true, several people, no names mentioned, will be getting swiftly fired after an inquiry.

perhaps they are of a celtic minded.

I could believe it. I sense that this was a run of the mill tax investigation. I don't think there was any conspiracy or hidden adgenda to use Rangers as an example. The case just grew arms and legs mainly because of tim bloggers. HMRC have lost plenty of cases some have billions at stake and never got anywhere near the publicity of the Rangers case.

Yes the Rumour Factory from the C----c minded has been pretty accurate .Uncanny if you ask me.

These "leaks" have been a large part of the embarrassment HMRC feel apparently and, if true, it's more than jobs on the line for some. Prosecutions would be likely if confidential information has been leaked.

HM's RC's seem to forget that a football club is not like a normal business, it's like going after a religious organisation and putting it out of business (although I wish they would go after a certain Roman one),in Rangers case with a worldwide following all this should have been handled on the QT.

Of course they are being criticised. I've watched a 140 old club, steeped in British tradition, being pilliried by the media for the actions of a handful of men. The other 130 odd years seem to have been forgotten.

Wanna talk about not paying tax? Nah let's talk about re-fueling Nazi U-boats.