Alan Pardew Scoops Two Managerial Awards

Newcastle United manager Alan Pardew has been named LMA Manager of the Year, after guiding his side to fifth place in the Premier League.

The award is voted by LMA members, including all managers from the four professional leagues in England.

Newcastle, who had been expected to struggle, won 19 of their 38 league games, recording 15 clean sheets.

Pardew was also named Barclays Premier League manager of the year at the ceremony in London on Monday.

LMA chairman Howard Wilkinson said: "Alan Pardew's achievements at Newcastle this season are there for all to see and it is just reward that he should be named as LMA Manager of the Year.

"I'm often asked, 'where are all the English coaches?' My answer is 'We have plenty of them, they just need an opportunity'. I am delighted for Alan that he has taken his opportunity."

The award comes days after the former West Ham and Charlton boss was also named Barclays Manager of the Year .

Excellent decision IMO.

Well deserved. Selling Nolan, Enrique and getting rid of Barton seemed like a very poor decision at the time but replacing them with guys like Cabaye, Santon and then spending the Carroll money on Cisse and Ba has been a master-stroke. He's also shown how good the French market is.

Astonishingly, Newcastle United, for so long a circus club, has emerged as one of the best run clubs in the country and probably Europe. Pardew has played a major part in this. But you also have to factor in the oft-maligned (deservedly, much of the time, as I think he would accept) Mike Ashley and the other people above Pardew. Llambias has turned into an excellent CEO. The trick now is to hold it all together. In a way I'm pleased that it's "only" the Europa League next season ... the Champions League might have led to the eternal curse of hubris.

congrats to him. he was given a hard time to begin with cos the fans liked hughton, but i think pardew has shown his worth. imo i think hughton would've got them 8th place at best

Hughton was very popular with the fans. Newcastle fans - and I'm one of them - are a curious bunch. If they take to you, they take to you and that's that. If they don't, well, you're on a hiding to nothing. Pardew was, in many respects, on a hiding to nothing and the fact that he has done so well is all the more impressive. I thinkk he's respected now, more than liked. Chances are the the Toon Army would still "like" Hughton better than Pardew. But Hughton wasn't ruthless enough for Llambias. I think that is ultimately what did for him.

Astonishingly, Newcastle United, for so long a circus club, has emerged as one of the best run clubs in the country and probably Europe. Pardew has played a major part in this. But you also have to factor in the oft-maligned (deservedly, much of the time, as I think he would accept) Mike Ashley and the other people above Pardew. Llambias has turned into an excellent CEO. The trick now is to hold it all together. In a way I'm pleased that it's "only" the Europa League next season ... the Champions League might have led to the eternal curse of hubris.

Your last point is a very good one (tu)