Frankel

Yeah mate, that day changed both mine and my family's life. I was a time served roofer working in a dead end factory job working for minimum wage. My mrs was pregnant with our 2nd child and things were rough. I put a £5 treble three dettori rides. Argocat, mantoba and modeyra. They all won at 11/1, 8/1 and 13/2. I won £4050 that day. I quit my job in the factory. Bought a van and used the rest to start my own roofing company. 2 years later and im doing ok. So for that day I will always be grateful to Frankie Dettori!

Love stories like this!

• Replies 211
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Derek and OneDavieCooper, how often would you say your bets come in? 60-70% or so?

Sound like yous know what your doing at it.

Hi. I'll be honest and say I've had a wretched Ascot meeting this year. I'm also down for the year so far, mainly due to the weather having such an impact on the Flat form.

Last year, I was about £600 up altogether, thanks mainly to an incredible Royal Ascot 2011.

Its swings and round abouts really. Throughout my punting life, I'm undoubtedly in the red. In terms of Pattern Races (i.e. class 1 races) I do ok but I still have a weakness for too many bets so would never make the grade as a pro punter.

The main thing is though I love horse racing and would happily watch and not bet. As long as losses are manageable it doesn't bother me to be honest and I win enough to ensure I always have a bank on Betfair around the 1 grand mark.

Derek and OneDavieCooper, how often would you say your bets come in? 60-70% or so?

Sound like yous know what your doing at it.

No one could boast a 60-70% win rate, unless we are talking each way and the horses the bet on place a lot. If you could pick 70% winners you would be a very rich man. I would say I win maybe 30% of the time if Im lucky. Ive had an awsome day today. 3 fairly big priced winners out of 6 bets. The last one being Fennel bay @ 12/1 which I had £15 e/w on. That returned me £255. The other two made me about £100. So a £355 return for £80 worth of bets.

I used to work for Willian Hill a long time ago so I do have fairly good knowledge of whats going on. I usually look at how the horses have performed in the distance and grade they are running in and in what conditions they ran in. Im not quite as in depth as OneDavie Cooper who studies past races against horses in the same race, although I really should.

My biggest problem is betting on races I know I should avoid. Races that have a fair amount of horses in with a very good chance. I enjoy the thrill of those races though so tend to go for it lol

More fucking RAIN. The form book goes out of the window at times like this, especially in races where there are lightly raced horses.

With some trepidation, my bets for today are as follows:-

2.30 Ascot: Newfangled (win), Agent Allison (place)*, Tassel (place).

* Agent Allison defeated a horse I have shares in last time out in a very modest auction maiden and then pops up here.

3.05 Ascot: Astrology (win), Noble Mission (place).

3.45 Ascot: Homecoming Queen (the softer the better for her).

5.00 Ascot: Athens

5.30 Limerick: Kingston Jamaica

6.50 Goodwood: Botanica

7.00 Newmarket: Pearl Acclaim

Lucky 15 - £1 Win

---------

2.30 - Newfangled @9/4

3.05 - Astrology @5/4

3.45 - Homecoming Queen @7/2

4.25 - Gatewood @7/2

Also got £5 E/W on Flying Trader @33/1 in the 5.00 - Fancied Athens or Estimate myself, but read that Richard Hughes has a 100% strike rate riding for Jane Chapple-Hyam at Ascot. So at the odds thought it was worth a punt.

Lucky 15 - £1 Win

---------

2.30 - Newfangled @9/4

3.05 - Astrology @5/4

3.45 - Homecoming Queen @7/2

4.25 - Gatewood @7/2

Also got £5 E/W on Flying Trader @33/1 in the 5.00 - Fancied Athens or Estimate myself, but read that Richard Hughes has a 100% strike rate riding for Jane Chapple-Hyam at Ascot. So at the odds thought it was worth a punt.

Good luck