Euro 2012: Players to be booked if they leave the pitch due to racism

39 members have voted

1. 1. Do you agree that players should be booked if they walk off the pitch due to racism?

• Yes
    • No

A BBC Panorama programme highlighted racism incidents at grounds in Poland and Ukraine, who co-host Euro 2012. Manchester City and Italy striker Mario Balotelli threatened to walk off the pitch if he believed he was a victim. But Platini said: "It's a yellow card. It's not a player - Mr Balotelli - who's in charge of refereeing."

Platini insists officials will deal with any racist incidents that occur during the tournament, which begins on Friday. Chris Rogers witnesses racist violence in Ukraine "It's the referee who takes these decisions. Referees can finish the game. They have this power in case of racism," Platini told the BBC sports editor David Bond. "That is, I think, the best way to protect the game against racism. "The referee has been given advice and he can stop the game if there are problems."

Platini dismissed suggestions his reputation would be tarnished if there is racial abuse at Euro 2012. "Are you joking? You think I am responsible for the racists in the rest of Europe or in England or in France?" he said. Platini said Uefa had done a lot to tackle racisim, backing such initiatives as 'Never Again', but said he was "not responsible for society". He added: "Society is not so easy. You have some problems and we have to organise these Euros from the beginning with some problems because these two countries never welcome so big an event in the past. "It was a big challenge for Poland, big challenge for Ukraine, a big challenge for Uefa, and we have done our best."

Asked about the footage shown in Panorama's documentary, Platini said: "We are shocked about racists but we are trying to do something; we have to fight against that. "I feel bad. Of course I feel bad because I am not a racist." Sol Campbell reacts to video of racist attacks in Euro 2012 host nationsThe 56-year-old former France international midfiedler also insisted the issue of racism is one that extends far beyond the two host nations of Euro 2012. Platini, who has been Uefa president since January 2007, said: "If you want to have a programme on racism you can go everywhere now because there is an increase in the nationalists in many, many countries. It is not just a fact only in Poland and Ukraine. "You can go in France, United States, in England and you will find the problem of racism. You have more nationalists in many, many countries in east of Europe - that is true."

The Uefa president has previously criticised the host nations, describing Ukrainian hoteliers as "bandits" for the rising cost of accommodation and bemoaning the quality of pitches in Poland. The Ukrainian president, Viktor Yanukovych, has downplayed fears over racist attacks in Ukraine, saying hooligans were known to the authorities and security services "will be watching all the matches closely"

It’s a tough one tbh, on one hand you could say that it would end in chaos with players just leaving the game and that the chunts who chant have won by doing so or you could say why should any human being have to endure those chants and be made to feel like that for 90 minutes? With games being cancelled ect then maybe the racists would stop and be banned, punished ect?

If it was me I would agree with what Mario said.

I agree it's a tough one however I have voted for No.

Players don't need to play in International Tournaments with the amount of money and things they make, infact when they do play they run the risk of being injured for their clubs. If anything UEFA need the players more than the players need to play to make their tournaments more credible.

You can hate and chant at people for 90 minutes but it's usually down to the team they play for or used to play for or just because they are generally a prick. Not because of their race.

Yes,The game would end up in chaos if this rule wasn't in place.

Racism is disgusting but you can't just walk off the park because of what the crowd are chanting,where would it end?

with the end of racism at that level is where it would end

i hope one player DOES walk off the park because of it, and shames UEFA and FIFA into either a full clearout of the powers that be, or for them to radically overhaul their thinking

Panorama's program was absolutely shocking, monkey chants etc are bad enough, but when physical violence (which is the result of not dealing with basic racism) starts in amongst the same support then you have a serious issue

what if a black player is targetted by a barage of abuse culminating in being struck with an object, is he supposed to hope that a referee will do something about it when history has shown that refs will do nothing to protect the players

a booking?

players get booked these days for getting to close to the crowd if they score. if someone is being racially abused and at the point in their mind where they think "fuck this im walking off" you think they will give a shite about being booked!?

i hope it doesnt come to that, its easy for me to say that players should keep on playing for their countries pride, their team mates, and nto to let the racist win... but then again ive never experienced racial abuse from a crowd of thousands.

It's a tough one.

Walking off let's the racists win.

But having seen panorama, what some ethnic minority players will experience is absolutely vile. No-one should have to go through it.

Not necessarily true as it will highlight the racists ever more meaning that UEFA will have to do something rather than just letting them continue as they are.

Perhaps it would be easier for the targets of this behavior to put up with it if they feel that the authorities were a bit more committed to facing the problem; the host nations seem to be in denial, and FIFA have a tendency to lean towards lip service rather than being pro-active.

FIFA should hire extra stewards to eject trouble makers, ban offenders, and advise the tournament hosts that their attitude towards discrimination may well prejudice whether or not they are considered for holding future events.