Zinedine Zidane

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

At least World Cup Final with France :rolleyes: Don't remember if he was a captain in late Real days and late Juve, but anyway it definitely looked like it on the pitch

Yeah, he got himself unnecessarily sent off in a world cup final, leaving his team-mates utterly crushed.

He was never captain of Juve or Real.

Was at Hampden for the CL final. What a goal :drool:

I was working in a pub full of Bayer Leverkusen fans and had to try not to react to that strike :lol: Zidane was the best of his generation for me and certainly is arguable as the best ever. For me though it was George Best in his pomp, shame it was so short lived.

nobody comes even near the greatest ever DIEGO ARMANDO MARADONA.Went to Napoli and they won their first Seria A,and UEFA Cup,single handedly won the World Cup with Argentina in 1986,thats just for starters,voted FIFA player of the century,some of the goals he scored will never be equalled,and just an absolUte joy to watch,skillwise uncomparable,pity he turned out to be a right eejit off the park,only player to come near him is ROMARIO...........

Yeah, he got himself unnecessarily sent off in a world cup final, leaving his team-mates utterly crushed.

He was never captain of Juve or Real.

But he dragged that crappy France team all the way to final, didnt he? He came back out of international retirement for qualifications, cause they were so bad; behind Israel, Switzerland and Ireland at some point. He came back, they managed to turn things around, winning last crucial games and after all securing first spot with 20 point (4th place had 17 points, very close group). Then at World Cup they managed to beat in knockout Spain, Brazil and Portugal (great teams btw, Brazil team with Ronaldinho at his peak and future Spain champions), with Zidane either assisting or scoring himself at almost all goals; chosen player of the tournaument after all. So bit unfair to discredit all this cause of one epic headbutt ;)

Was a second captain in Real after Raul I believe. Anyway i think he just got the qualities captain should have, what is your opinion on Zidane then that you think either way

single handedly won the World Cup with Argentina

Yeah, that was the problem. (tu)

He was a mesmerising player but I'm not sure now whether his brilliance was drug enhanced throughout or just at the end, which marks him down for me because there will always be that uncertainty in my mind.

One thing is for certain, they'll never get the Falklands.

But he dragged that crappy France team all the way to final, didnt he? He came back out of international retirement for qualifications, cause they were so bad; behind Israel, Switzerland and Ireland at some point. He came back, they managed to turn things around, winning last crucial games and after all securing first spot with 20 point (4th place had 17 points, very close group). Then at World Cup they managed to beat in knockout Spain, Brazil and Portugal (great teams btw, last great Brazil team and future Spain champions), with Zidane either assisting or scoring himself at almost all goals; chosen player of the tournaument after all. So bit unfair to discredit all this he did with one headbutt :blush:

Was a second captain in Real after Raul I believe. Anyway i think he just got the qualities captain should have, what is your opinion on Zidane then that you think either way

He could have dragged that crappy France team all the way to the final with his ability alone. When it came to showing more than ability, he came up short. He was never a captain. The very thing that made him such a great player - the fact he played constantly on the edge - is the reason he ought not to have been a captain.

To clarify, I admired Zidane greatly, and don't blame him for headbutting Materazzi, but then I'm not French. When Zidane was at his best, it was all about him. Captains shouldn't make it all about themselves. It's a risk. Perhaps France would have been better off with a Deschamps or Blanc character in 2006 (not that they had anyone like that to pick).

Yeah, that was the problem. (tu)

He was a mesmerising player but I'm not sure now whether his brilliance was drug enhanced throughout or just at the end, which marks him down for me because there will always be that uncertainty in my mind.

One thing is for certain, they'll never get the Falklands.

I'm not sure how brilliance can be drug enhanced mate?,but get where you are coming from,his sheer stupidity will forever hang over him,but you cannot deny the guy was a FOOTBALL GENIUS ,and like most people of his standard can become reckless!!!

He could have dragged that crappy France team all the way to the final with his ability alone. When it came to showing more than ability, he came up short. He was never a captain. The very thing that made him such a great player - the fact he played constantly on the edge - is the reason he ought not to have been a captain.

To clarify, I admired Zidane greatly, and don't blame him for headbutting Materazzi, but then I'm not French. When Zidane was at his best, it was all about him. Captains shouldn't make it all about themselves. It's a risk. Perhaps France would have been better off with a Deschamps or Blanc character in 2006 (not that they had anyone like that to pick).

Good point. Perhaps teams fuction much better when someone like Maldini is a captain, while your best player (say Totti) is well, just a best player. It may give more balance to the team, team is not so dependent on one guy. Worked great for France in 1998

I'm not sure how brilliance can be drug enhanced mate?,but get where you are coming from,his sheer stupidity will forever hang over him,but you cannot deny the guy was a FOOTBALL GENIUS ,and like most people of his standard can become reckless!!!

Definitely a great player. Even when fat and drugged up, he was still good enough to inspire an even shittier Argy team to the 90 final.