Mario Balotelli.

One of football's most enigmatic figures Mario Balotelli has claimed he is 'more of a man than Peter Pan' ahead of Sunday's Euro 2012 showdown against England.

The Manchester City forward is in contention to start against Roy Hodgson's side after coming off the bench to score against the Republic of Ireland on Monday.

Balotelli was asked to discuss the claims of his agent that he is the Peter Pan of Italian football, which came in the wake of team-mate Daniele de Rossi admitting he thought Balotelli was growing up.

He said: "These are two metaphors for Mario the person not Mario the footballer.

"I think I'm a man but I don't think I need to say it. Mino (Raiola) said I'm Peter Pan because he wants to make people laugh.

"But I could be Peter Pan because I do things my own way and I'm a bit free.

"I could be Peter Pan but I think I'm more of a man than Peter Pan."

The 21-year-old stressed his determination to get the better of club team-mates Joe Hart, James Milner and Joleon Lescott in the Kiev meeting at the Olympic Stadium.

"I hope it's going to be a good match and I think it will be fun to play against my team-mates," he added.

"They know me and I know them, I just hope it's going to be nice and fun. I don't expect anything, I hope we win because I want to win and even though they're team-mates, I hope they lose.

"I don't have to show anything to anyone, not to England, not to Italy and not to anyone.

"I'm not a Super Mario or a Stupid Mario, I'm just Mario and those who know me, know who I (really) am.

"It was important for me to score because I had been trying to do that in the previous two games but hadn't managed it.

"But it's not a case of the handbrake being off now, I scored a goal and that can happen."

:dry::lol: