Cycling Thread

Really? I can't see him riding one in support of Froome, and he knew he would be.

But he knew Froome would be team leader for the 2013 Tour from the start of the year at least. So he had plenty of time to evaluate what he wanted from this season.

But he knew Froome would be team leader for the 2013 Tour from the start of the year at least. So he had plenty of time to evaluate what he wanted from this season.

Well, he was quite insistent up to and including the Giro that he would be leader at the Tour if he was strong enough, in spite of constant assertions to the contrary by his team. At the Giro he was confronted with the harsh fact that he wasn't strong enough and had no chance of being anything other than a domestique at the Tour, and it seems to me that this realisation was an unwelcome one.

Well, he was quite insistent up to and including the Giro that he would be leader at the Tour if he was strong enough, in spite of constant assertions to the contrary by his team. At the Giro he was confronted with the harsh fact that he wasn't strong enough and had no chance of being anything other than a domestique at the Tour, and it seems to me that this realisation was an unwelcome one.

I was wondering what he was playing at with the shit stirring because everyone at Sky seemed to know Froome would be leader. He surely must have realised that this Tour was for Froome as soon the race route was released. Unless it was simply a case of him being hubristic?

Cards on the table, do you think Wiggins has one last Grand Tour victory in him?

Sadly, I can't see it and I love the awkward prick.

I was wondering what he was playing at with the shit stirring because everyone at Sky seemed to know Froome would be leader. He surely must have realised that this Tour was for Froome as soon the race route was released. Unless it was simply a case of him being hubristic?

Cards on the table, do you think Wiggins has one last Grand Tour victory in him?

I really don't know. I don't know if he's just arrogant, or if he would be quite willing to ride in service of another man as long as that man isn't Froome. The fact that he saw the Tour route and still thought it was his race and not Froome's is bizarre. The fact the thought he could win it with a hilly Giro in his legs already is, as you say, mad hubris, plain and simple. Even Hinault, as arrogant and haughty a man as ever rode the Tour, was willing to sacrifice personal ambition to help Greg LeMond, because that was what was agreed. He was a real arsehole about it, and made sure LeMond proved he was worthy of beating him, but he still did it.

Wiggins tends to have huge highs followed by terrible lows though. Maybe he could win the Giro next year if it's not too mountainous.

No he does not. He shouldn't even have 1 if I am being honest

He fully deserved his win, he got to Paris quicker than anyone else, but a race where one guy, who might not be the strongest on the team, makes big gains in the time trials and is dragged through the rest of the course by an unstoppable train of team-mates is not one I'd care to see again. I'm a mountains man. A tour decided by time trials isn't an exciting tour for me. It doesn't have the spirit of real racing.

Froome, this man has balls.

I still don't accept that Froome, If he decided to ditch Wiggins last year, would have won it.

I take your point about the tour being more enjoyable when it gets to the mountains but Wiggins was fantastic last year and nobody can take that away from him. A fantastic road cyclist and racer. Look at what else he won last year for proof of that.

I still don't accept that Froome, If he decided to ditch Wiggins last year, would have won it.

I take your point about the tour being more enjoyable when it gets to the mountains but Wiggins was fantastic last year and nobody can take that away from him. A fantastic road cyclist and racer. Look at what else he won last year for proof of that.

There is, of course, no way of knowing. Three minutes is a lot to make up in the mountains. Thing is, if Froome HAD ditched Wiggins, Wiggins wouldn't have had Froome, and he wouldn't have been three mins ahead.

Did Omega Pharma have any climbers present this year?

Kwiatkowski is a pretty decent climber, and managed to finish 11th in the GC without the team really riding for him, but I imagine Uran will be expecting a lot more support, and I don't know how Cav will feel about that.

Kwiatkowski is a pretty decent climber, and managed to finish 11th in the GC without the team really riding for him, but I imagine Uran will be expecting a lot more support, and I don't know how Cav will feel about that.

Maybe with Renshaw riding for Cav next year he won't mind so much if a couple ride for Uran. Will be interesting to see if Uran kicks on away from SKY

• 1 month later...

Took day off to watch of Tour of Britain pass through my neck of the woods today. Was wet and windy for most of the 1hr and half waiting round for them to go past, but was worth it for the 30 seconds for them to fly past. Might be last chance to see Sir Bradley Wiggins on the road before he goes back on the track . Stage 1 was in Scotland yesterday from Peebles to Drumlanrigg Castle . Today went from Carlisle to Kendal , Tried to film them going past but they were just to quick , Julescotie would not be impressed with the footage ! For anyone who's interested coverage is on itv 3 at 7.00 for the next 7 days and live coverage on itv3 from 1.30 pm all afternoon. edit ITV4

Might go down to Whitehall for the finish. Would much rather have seen Quintana do his thing on the hilly stages than watch the sprinters come in but I'll take what I can get.

Vuelta was a joke.

After cruising to the Giro I thought Nibali was awful.

After cruising to the Giro I thought Nibali was awful.

Just tired, I guess.

There were some amazing stages and in a naive, innocent world it would probably have been a classic race but I'm sorry, I just cannot believe Christopher Horner. There is no way. The oldest grand tour winner by SEVEN years. Marco Pantani would only have been one year older than him right now :lol:

Just tired, I guess.

There were some amazing stages and in a naive, innocent world it would probably have been a classic race but I'm sorry, I just cannot believe Christopher Horner. There is no way. The oldest grand tour winner by SEVEN years. Marco Pantani would only have been one year older than him right now :lol:

I also missed the first week. Was anything wrong with Uran? He was also well out the picture after a decent Giro.

• 2 months later...