Cycling Thread

Had a great morning when it came through our wee toon!

Smashing atmosphere about the place, big crowds & managed to get a brilliant view!

Shame it was all over in about 2 and a half minutes, then they were gone!

Even when they're cruising, the speed they go by at is astonishing!

Had a great morning when it came through our wee toon!

Smashing atmosphere about the place, big crowds & managed to get a brilliant view!

Shame it was all over in about 2 and a half minutes, then they were gone!

Even when they're cruising, the speed they go by at is astonishing!

I can never believe when you see the peloton cruising on the flats and then the commentators tell you they're going 50kph. For like, five hours.

I can never believe when you see the peloton cruising on the flats and then the commentators tell you they're going 50kph. For like, five hours.

Those guys have some fitness levels.

There's a hill up Blubberhouses Moor, just the other side of Harrogate. I drive it regularly, the wife's walked it, the commentators (who I think are excellent, btw) wrote it off as insignificant - not in my book, it isn't!

Those guys have some fitness levels.

There's a hill up Blubberhouses Moor, just the other side of Harrogate. I drive it regularly, the wife's walked it, the commentators (who I think are excellent, btw) wrote it off as insignificant - not in my book, it isn't!

I remember in David Millar's book he said that when he turned pro he got the shock of his life, having thought he was shit-hot as an amateur, and thinking he wasn't a half bad climber, and not only could he barely keep up with the peloton on the flat but the sprinters were climbing faster than the best climbers he knew in the amateurs. Admittedly that was during the peak of the EPO era :lol: But still, it just goes to show that not even experienced cyclists are prepared for what the pros can do.

I remember in David Millar's book he said that when he turned pro he got the shock of his life, having thought he was shit-hot as an amateur, and thinking he wasn't a half bad climber, and not only could he barely keep up with the peloton on the flat but the sprinters were climbing faster than the best climbers he knew in the amateurs. Admittedly that was during the peak of the EPO era :lol: But still, it just goes to show that not even experienced cyclists are prepared for what the pros can do.

I believe there's a similar gulf in golf - just because you can play to scratch, doesn't mean you can mix it with the pro's!

Why all this about Wiggins hes not there cause he wouldnt win it,he only won because Froome carried him in the mountains and at one point rode away from him but got told to go back and stay with Wiggins

One guy who is gonna be loving this is Wiggins. Sky have nothing left in this tour now

The decision to leave him out for what appears to be a personality clash was piss poor imo. They're elite athletes ffs.

Two things - Firstly, Wiggins lacks confidence in the rain, and probably would have lost minutes in this stage. Secondly, Contador and Nibali would have destroyed him in the mountains.

Secondly, Contador, Nibali and Froome would have destroyed him in the mountains - but Froome is out, Contador is a cheat and could well be caught again and Nibali has been dealt with before - Sky had the option of having a strong plan B but have possibly fucked it - Thomas might step up to the plate but Wiggins is a form horse and C+D winner.

Secondly, Contador, Nibali and Froome would have destroyed him in the mountains - but Froome is out, Contador is a cheat and could well be caught again and Nibali has been dealt with before - Sky had the option of having a strong plan B but have possibly fucked it - Thomas might step up to the plate but Wiggins is a form horse and C+D winner.

Nibali was dealt with by Wiggins when Wiggins was much stronger than he is now, when the Sky team was much stronger than it is now and when Nibali was much weaker than he is now.

I think Sky should have taken Wiggins on form alone, but as far as a management decision goes, it only looks bad in hindsight. Wiggins is a stroppy, petulant, insecure man who needs to be number one, and he wouldn't have been.

No chance will Contador test positive again. The clenbuterol thing probably WAS contaminated meat. If he's smart enough not to get caught taking the proper stuff, I don't think he'd be stupid enough to get caught taking that. Not that I have any doubt that he was always a doper, nor that he's doping now.

Two things - Firstly, Wiggins lacks confidence in the rain, and probably would have lost minutes in this stage. Secondly, Contador and Nibali would have destroyed him in the mountains.

Agree, dont see the big deal with Wiggins tbh

Agree, dont see the big deal with Wiggins tbh

2012 Wiggins was perfect for that Tour but this one only has one time trial and lots of mountains. More importantly it has lots of world class climbers. It just wasn't right for him. Porte has a better chance.

Contador crashed uphill. Lost a lot of time and didn't look good but he seems to be catching up to the peloton.

Given that the Tour de France is essentially an advert for sponsors, and given that one of the favourites for the Tour is riding a frame that costs around £3000, and that frame just snapped while going uphill, throwing him onto the road and possibly ruining his Tour, I think the marketing executives at Specialized bikes are probably shitting themselves :lol: