28 members have voted

1. 1. Who will light it?

• Sir Steve Redgrave
    • Sir Roger Bannister
    • Daley Thompson
    • Dame Kelly Holmes
    • David Beckham
    • Other (Please specify who)

Was sure it would be a top former Olympian that would light it, but just watched ITV news there. They have interviewed Beckham and he's 'keeping quiet' about his role in the opening ceremony. Seemed to be heavily suggestive that he would light it! Shocking if true, as he's pretty much fuck all to do with G.B's Olympics history!

My money was on Steve Redgrave or Kelly Holmes. Anyone other than GB (Golden Balls that is).

He should have been in team gb anyway no that dick Bellamy

Can't argue there mate.

Redgrave or Daley hopefully.

Has to be Redgrave or Bannister for me, but would also love it to be Daley. A mini hero for me when I was growing up. :)

Walter Smith.

Another great suggestion!! :lol:

Surely it's Redgrave...

I hope it hasn't been a compromise since Beckham wasn't picked for Team GB.

Would have thought so mate!

beckham has said himself he doesnt want to light it as he feels it should be a great olympian

id say either redgrave (though he has held the flag twice before) or her majesty the queen :craphead:

Fair play to him then, if he has said that! (tu)

:lol: Were you listening to Paddy Power on Talksport earlier by any chance?? :D

If beckam gets it then it will show how ridiculous the whole system is.I doubt he will though,even if offered.He's to good a guy to do that

Hope so too! Nothing against the guy...I think he is a great ambassador for G.B Sport, but not enough to merit this!

Gets another one out the kitchen I suppose

Damn you legendofcoop you beat me to the kitchen joke :mad:

:craphead: If yer no fast.......

the only thing she should be lighting is a gas cooker.

:lol: But she's multi-tasking, of course!

:D Any chance of getting this thread back on track? Or is it now destined for the high jump? doh

Well the olympic flame only started at hitler's games in 1936 so probably someone very right wing :lol:

Were you watching Olympia the other night? :sherlock:

1936 was when bringing a torch from Greece by relay runners was first introduced, at the behest of Adolf Hitler, but a flame had been lit for the duration of the games eight years earlier in Amsterdam, as was the custom in ancient times.

Can't argue there mate.

Has to be Redgrave or Bannister for me, but would also love it to be Daley. A mini hero for me when I was growing up. :)

Another great suggestion!! :lol:

Would have thought so mate!

Fair play to him then, if he has said that! (tu)

:lol: Were you listening to Paddy Power on Talksport earlier by any chance?? :D

Hope so too! Nothing against the guy...I think he is a great ambassador for G.B Sport, but not enough to merit this!

Biggest multi quote in RM history?

Were you watching Olympia the other night? :sherlock:

1936 was when bringing a torch from Greece by relay runners was first introduced, at the behest of Adolf Hitler, but a flame had been lit for the duration of the games eight years earlier in Amsterdam, as was the custom in ancient times.

Still the lighting of the flame in the stadium is the endpoint of it being carried around the country ... all be it most of the miles are done in a bus :rolleyes: