Watching the money flow?

The Educator

As you may have noticed from my previous posts I like to look at things from the hypothetical angle to try and gauge different views on how scenarios would play out. So as the cold bleak reality of the SPL’s winter is soon to be, I was wondering how with such low gates and the lack of Rangers fans cash is going to be compensated for. There have been a couple of signings that have surprised me, and suddenly Aberdeen seems to be avoiding the prophecies of their own financial woes with more talk of a new stadium.

So if revenue is down and so many professed to be close to the breaking point, what has been keeping them afloat financially? I would ask that anybody on this forum who can get hold of the financials for the SPL clubs when they are published does so with an eye on any extra income that may or may not be emanating from a central point. In other words let’s make sure that there is no room for financial doping. I would hate to think that somebody was putting cash into clubs as a thank you for having taken a voting position that was against the financial interests of these clubs.

Of course this is all on a hypothetical basis, in a country where a prima facia case could be made for footballs controlling bodies, and media seemingly acting in the interests of one club surely it would be implausible for any body to consider that anything as corrupt as behind the scenes payments to be a possibility. Having said that let’s just make sure.

Recently M. Laudrup spoke of the situation where clubs have been known to pay other clubs a bonus if they win when against their closest rivals. Once again I would hate to think that this could ever happen in Scotland as our setup is so transparent and honest. Having said that let’s just make sure.

Are the sheepshaggers not building a new stadium with the money they get for the old one (with profit)? and I presume SPl clubs with cash problems live on overdraughts/borrowing, and I don't think there's any teams in the SPL flush enough who are prepared to hand over a bung for services rendered

The difference is they have banks prepared to do business with them unlike murray.

As you may have noticed from my previous posts I like to look at things from the hypothetical angle to try and gauge different views on how scenarios would play out. So as the cold bleak reality of the SPL’s winter is soon to be, I was wondering how with such low gates and the lack of Rangers fans cash is going to be compensated for. There have been a couple of signings that have surprised me, and suddenly Aberdeen seems to be avoiding the prophecies of their own financial woes with more talk of a new stadium.

So if revenue is down and so many professed to be close to the breaking point, what has been keeping them afloat financially? I would ask that anybody on this forum who can get hold of the financials for the SPL clubs when they are published does so with an eye on any extra income that may or may not be emanating from a central point. In other words let’s make sure that there is no room for financial doping. I would hate to think that somebody was putting cash into clubs as a thank you for having taken a voting position that was against the financial interests of these clubs.

Of course this is all on a hypothetical basis, in a country where a prima facia case could be made for footballs controlling bodies, and media seemingly acting in the interests of one club surely it would be implausible for any body to consider that anything as corrupt as behind the scenes payments to be a possibility. Having said that let’s just make sure.

Recently M. Laudrup spoke of the situation where clubs have been known to pay other clubs a bonus if they win when against their closest rivals. Once again I would hate to think that this could ever happen in Scotland as our setup is so transparent and honest. Having said that let’s just make sure.

A bit far fetched I think - the SPL can barely pay its running costs never mind additional money and I can't see any other club paying out to rivals.

Anyway I would hope any auditor worth his salt would be highlighting any such payments, after all, they could be argued to be bribes.

Are the sheepshaggers not building a new stadium with the money they get for the old one (with profit)? and I presume SPl clubs with cash problems live on overdraughts/borrowing, and I don't think there's any teams in the SPL flush enough who are prepared to hand over a bung for services rendered

The difference is they have banks prepared to do business with them unlike murray.

We need to stop making these statements about the bank. Prior to Whyte we had a bank that was doing business with us. We had an £18m loan with an agreement for this to be paid down at £1m per year provided we serviced the interest. We had reduced our debt by c. £10m in the 2 or 3 years prior to the sale and as the debt was at a more manageable level the day to day scrutiny of the club by the bank was receding. Of course they were more than happy for it to be paid off in 1 swoop when Whyte offered to do this. It was a completely nonsensical business decision as he replaced it with a loan from ticketus which we need to repay in 4 years. The offer to pay off the bank loan was what first concerned me about Whyte from the start, the second was being willing to take on any previous tax laibility from the BTC, no businessman on the level would have touched that liability.

We need to stop making these statements about the bank. Prior to Whyte we had a bank that was doing business with us. We had an £18m loan with an agreement for this to be paid down at £1m per year provided we serviced the interest. We had reduced our debt by c. £10m in the 2 or 3 years prior to the sale and as the debt was at a more manageable level the day to day scrutiny of the club by the bank was receding. Of course they were more than happy for it to be paid off in 1 swoop when Whyte offered to do this. It was a completely nonsensical business decision as he replaced it with a loan from ticketus which we need to repay in 4 years. The offer to pay off the bank loan was what first concerned me about Whyte from the start, the second was being willing to take on any previous tax laibility from the BTC, no businessman on the level would have touched that liability.

My understanding is 'The Bank' forced Murray to sell despite us meeting all repayments and reducing the debt. But I may be wrong, I usually am on such matters

A bit far fetched I think - the SPL can barely pay its running costs never mind additional money and I can't see any other club paying out to rivals.

Anyway I would hope any auditor worth his salt would be highlighting any such payments, after all, they could be argued to be bribes.

You would think so. Then again if some body had told you ten years ago about the possibility of the SFA/SPL, the media, the bank, and a certain lawyer conspiering to help bring down the biggest club in the country you may well have said the same. As I stated it's hypothetical, but with everything else that has gone on is it a total impossibility?

My understanding is 'The Bank' forced Murray to sell despite us meeting all repayments and reducing the debt. But I may be wrong, I usually am on such matters

That was my understanding. I didn't seem to make good banking sense then or now. Then again neither did putting people on the board who held an allegiance to the clubs biggest rival. It can also be argued that he sale of Rangers didn't really MIH's overall bank debt.

Probably our prize money from last year plus the added bonus of the Davis money plus the numerous fines.

I repped this and I will explain why.

Liewell said in his interview in the Sun newspaper - Celtic are willing to put 1.5M (but only if they qualify for the CL) in to the SPL coffers, If the other SPL clubs do not vote for distribution of wealth. "why weaken Celtic" he said (its all for one and none for all)

They see The Rangers are weak, and they hatch a plan to bury the wounded giant ( that will guarantee them a shot at the CL every season ) they help turn ever SPL team against us (our CEO has stated this to be true .. bullied into voting against us)

It's not far fetched at all .... It is nearly the perfect crime, only the victim they intended to murder,didn't die, she is out of intensive care and well on the way to recovery, hopefully it is only a matter of time before the Police wish to question the victim, and then take action against the attackers.... now that bit is far fetched craphead2.gif

Liewell said in his interview in the Sun newspaper - Celtic are willing to put 1.5M (but only if they qualify for the CL) in to the SPL coffers, If the other SPL clubs do not vote for distribution of wealth. "why weaken Celtic" he said (its all for one and none for all)

They see The Rangers are weak, and they hatch a plan to bury the wounded giant ( that will guarantee them a shot at the CL every season ) they help turn ever SPL team against us (our CEO has stated this to be true .. bullied into voting against us)

It's not far fetched at all .... It is nearly the perfect crime, only the victim they intended to murder,didn't die, she is out of intensive care and well on the way to recovery, hopefully it is only a matter of time before the Police wish to question the victim, and then take action against the attackers.... now that bit is far fetched craphead2.gif

Totally agree with you.

It occurs to me that if somebody was hypothetically going to do what I described then they would probably have started by putting people or a funding mechanism into some clubs beforehand. So maybe it would be a case of looking at financials for the last three to five years for the SPL. Somebody on the forum wrote that someone will probably go to write a book about what has been happening which made remember the old phrase sometimes fact is stranger than fiction.

It's simple really.

The SPL clubs have had season ticket money in. That'll keep them going for the first few months. they've reduced their wage bills a bit and made cutbacks.

However, that will all start to run out after the new year and the foundations will start to shake. (We are already seeing this at Hearts (SFL3 feeder club), who had to pay out £2m of their ST cash to HMRC leaving them starting down on last year, hence not paying players again)

There will be a lot of bluster etc as the clubs put a brave face on things, so I expect things will happen quickly once the first club goes into admin. Nobody wants to be first, so they'll hold it off as long as poss, but inevitably someone will collapse and that will open the floodgates.

The fixture list will go out the window and chaos will ensue.

The SFA and SPL are skint, plus they could hardly help out after kicking us so much. The new rules they voted through to get at us, will come back to haunt them as they will need to be applied to any other clubs that go bust.

The SPL is too heavy for it's supports and it is only a matter of time until cracks appear and they give way.

That is why it is important we boycott any away SPL clubs. I would hate to think my money was going on keeping any of them afloat.