If you could change anything about European football what would it be?

GOAT

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the diving in european football infected british football to the extent now that its embarrasing to watch british teams on the telly now to a certain extent. I used to laugh at Jonny Foreigner diving about as if he had been shot, but when i see British player doing in now I find it cringeworthy...

So they then pay Rooney £5m per season for his footballing contribution.....and then an 'outside sponsor' pays him £7m for his commercial contribution.

the same issue is surrounding the financial fair play laws. The man city owners could plough in £1bn per year in 'sponsorship' deals as a way to balance the books and disguise losses for buying big money players.

i'm sure fifa will deal with such issues.

the same issue is surrounding the financial fair play laws. The man city owners could plough in £1bn per year in 'sponsorship' deals as a way to balance the books and disguise losses for buying big money players.

i'm sure fifa will deal with such issues.

Deal with them how? The maximum wage was abolished over fifty years ago, I don't see them going backwards.

If the clubs don't like the rules, they'll simply say 'bye' to the current governing bodies - and they know it.

Deal with them how? The maximum wage was abolished over fifty years ago, I don't see them going backwards.

If the clubs don't like the rules, they'll simply say 'bye' to the current governing bodies - and they know it.

so you reckon when the FFP rules come into effect Man city will just offset losses by ploughin money into the club via "sponsorship" from Etihad?

and if they don't get their own way they'll join other big spenders to renegade?

For me it's got to be reverting the CL back to it's original format. The fact a team who potentially finishes 20+ points behind the champions but can still win the CL is a bit of a joke tbh. The European Cup should be champions only.

The Cup Winners Cup should be back for the winners of the national cup. A straight knock-out tournament as it was.

The Europa League should simply be for teams that finish in certain positions in their leagues.

Unfortunately money talks. Don't be surprised if the Europa League is abolished for a larger CL one day. It's ruining football IMO.

I would agree with all of the above (tu)

so you reckon when the FFP rules come into effect Man city will just offset losses by ploughin money into the club via "sponsorship" from Etihad?

and if they don't get their own way they'll join other big spenders to renegade?

I do, yes, and if the past is anything to go by, UEFA will accede to their demands.

I do, yes, and if the past is anything to go by, UEFA will accede to their demands.

can't see it. England is probably the most powerful football nation, with undoubtedly the biggest product. The toys came out when their world cup bid lost and they threatened to breakaway and create the new FIFA. How they getting on with that?

can't see it. England is probably the most powerful football nation, with undoubtedly the biggest product. The toys came out when their world cup bid lost and they threatened to breakaway and create the new FIFA. How they getting on with that?

You can't compare the English FA to the wealth behind clubs like Man City, Chelsea, PSG etc.

Who would England play?

I think the diving in european football infected british football to the extent now that its embarrasing to watch british teams on the telly now to a certain extent. I used to laugh at Jonny Foreigner diving about as if he had been shot, but when i see British player doing in now I find it cringeworthy...

Personally I think it is a myth, or at the very least a gross exaggeration, to talk about Johnny foreigner bringing his diving tricks to dear old blighty.

British players have always dived in the decades I've been watching them.

You can't compare the English FA to the wealth behind clubs like Man City, Chelsea, PSG etc.

Who would England play?

the point was they wanted start a new FIFA, and as the english FA controls the premiership, that's their bargaining chip.

From what i've read most clubs are embracing the FFP rules which in a way are already in effect, because currently clubs must post a loss within a certain threshold, before ultimately they wont be allowed to post a loss anymore.

If Man city does financial dope themselves with sponsorship schemes, then the likes of Arsenal will complain to FIFA when they come knocking for their best players. But your theory requires all the top clubs to agree with a breakaway. It's a pretty big gamble for Chelsea, Man city & PSG to tell fifa bye-bye if the rest of the champions league & their domestic clubs so 'no thanks' to their billionaires exclusive gang.

therefore, the clubs will adhere to the FFP rules, then in a few years, they will be in perfect position to bring in salary caps if FIFA wish to do so.

Personally I think it is a myth, or at the very least a gross exaggeration, to talk about Johnny foreigner bringing his diving tricks to dear old blighty.

British players have always dived in the decades I've been watching them.

I will give you Francis Lee ,nobody could teach him anything about diving

the point was they wanted start a new FIFA, and as the english FA controls the premiership, that's their bargaining chip.

From what i've read most clubs are embracing the FFP rules which in a way are already in effect, because currently clubs must post a loss within a certain threshold, before ultimately they wont be allowed to post a loss anymore.

If Man city does financial dope themselves with sponsorship schemes, then the likes of Arsenal will complain to FIFA when they come knocking for their best players. But your theory requires all the top clubs to agree with a breakaway. It's a pretty big gamble for Chelsea, Man city & PSG to tell fifa bye-bye if the rest of the champions league & their domestic clubs so 'no thanks' to their billionaires exclusive gang.

therefore, the clubs will adhere to the FFP rules, then in a few years, they will be in perfect position to bring in salary caps if FIFA wish to do so.

The ECA is the real power within football.

The ECA is the real power within football.

can't say i've heard of them but how does it relate to the point at hand?

I don't believe any clubs are threatening to renegade on the FFP rules & if they did, they would be in a minority. It's good news for alot of clubs that don't have billionaire owners. I can imagine a club even the size of Arsenal breathing a huge sigh of relief because fo the growing pressure for them to compete with Man City & Barcelona when their owners are clearly more interested paying themselves dividends rather than throwing multi-million pound cheques at wenger to buy buy buy.

the clubs will accept the FFP rules & if Man city, Chelsea or Man U try to get roudn them, other clubs will cause a stink and accuse them of 'financial doping' or 'cheating'. The majority of clubs wouldnt be interested in joining billionaires row if they wanted to breakaway aswell.

Once FFP is in full swing, salary caps could easily follow suite as the next subtle change. Clubs need to post profits anyway, so why not?

Nothing was proven.

Only in the eyes of UEFA. Facts speak for themselves.

Banned for subsequent related match-fixing, and resting players for the final.

On the final weekend of the season, Marseille chairman Bernard Tapie bribes opposition players from Valenciennes to guarantee that his club can rest first-team players ready for the upcoming Champions League final and still clinch the French league title. Tapie is later found guilty of match fixing.

Only in the eyes of UEFA. Facts speak for themselves.

Banned for subsequent related match-fixing, and resting players for the final.

On the final weekend of the season, Marseille chairman Bernard Tapie bribes opposition players from Valenciennes to guarantee that his club can rest first-team players ready for the upcoming Champions League final and still clinch the French league title. Tapie is later found guilty of match fixing.

Mark Hately also stated he was offered a bribe