Hello Hello Again

billmcmurdo

Although I prefer singing The Billy Boys as I have always done in my 60 odd years AND sang it freely following the Rangers in Sydney,both at the games and marching from the Fox & Lion pub to the ground,I would be willing to settle for a "Politically correct circa@2013 Scotland version" as long as the main gist of the song remains, which of course is; HULLO HULLO we are the Billy Boys, because anything other than cutting out the "offensive words" (to some) clearly will not pass examination in todays world of the easily offended.

If we want this most famous of battle hymns returned to its rightful place at Scottish football grounds then we have to sail with the wind. NOT piss against it. :pipe:

i brought this suggestion on various sites and was basically told this wld not happen. i was at the stage a good while back which we seem to be at now. we have a fighting fund. my suggestion is when a suitably form of words are agreed by all parties, then we should give out a 5 leaflets giving reasons for the bringing back of the rangers tune and reasons we must not let ourselves down and give eufa, the tims et al something to hang us with. we have two jumbo screens at our disposal. could we not get someone like sandy jardine to give a brief statement prior to the game where it was going to be officially re introduced and follw this by a display of the words on the screens. we will get a small minority who will fling in th old words but let the authorities deal with them if they wish. we have gotr to do this. it would also demonstrate to the media that we are going about things in the correct manner

Does anyone remember the club bringing back the full version of 'Simply The Best' before matches and practically begging the fans not to add any words in? It lasted less than 3 games as I remember, because some people cannot control their need to offend.

To be fair,legal, it's in a football supporters DNA to "offend" Some call it "banter", some call it "tribal warfare" and some call it "derogatory or offensive" Whatever way you look at it, it has been going on at football grounds since the fucking ancestors used to kick severed heads around an arena :pipe:

Apperently they weren't so easily offended by words in those days :thumbup:

To be fair,legal, it's in a football supporters DNA to "offend" Some call it "banter", some call it "tribal warfare" and some call it "derogatory or offensive" Whatever way you look at it, it has been going on at football grounds since the fucking ancestors used to kick severed heads around an arena :pipe:

I'm not too bothered about that stuff to be honest. The concern I have is that a lot of people are putting in a lot of effort to find a route through how to bring back this anthemic chant, and there are enough in our support who will 'behave' for a short time, but wait for the chance to return to the old lyrics.

I have been against bringing TBB back because of the problems it causes the club, if I was confident that those who do sing the offensive lyrics would be cut adrift by the rest of the support; or shopped; or removed; or season tickets taken off them, etc, then I will be in. If it is something that people work hard on, get a resolution on, and then gets ruined within a matter of months AND we still have the 'offending' fans banging on about freedom of speech, etc, and not being drowned out, then I wouldn't waste my time.

this!! but our own support has become as offended as anyone ( and I could not give a fuck who got offended first) try using the word h** or even ' Glasgow Rangers' ( :pipe: )

I think we all got so fking sensitive !

But now we have these laws -stupid or not - it's the law of the land and TBB (old form) gets us into trouble.

I love the Hullo Hullo as much as anyone but care about the club more - this can only come back if the Club sanctions it - otherwise it's a minefield

Does anyone remember the club bringing back the full version of 'Simply The Best' before matches and practically begging the fans not to add any words in? It lasted less than 3 games as I remember, because some people cannot control their need to offend.

and even more 'people' cannot control their need to be offended

I'm not too bothered about that stuff to be honest. The concern I have is that a lot of people are putting in a lot of effort to find a route through how to bring back this anthemic chant, and there are enough in our support who will 'behave' for a short time, but wait for the chance to return to the old lyrics.

I have been against bringing TBB back because of the problems it causes the club, if I was confident that those who do sing the offensive lyrics would be cut adrift by the rest of the support; or shopped; or removed; or season tickets taken off them, etc, then I will be in. If it is something that people work hard on, get a resolution on, and then gets ruined within a matter of months AND we still have the 'offending' fans banging on about freedom of speech, etc, and not being drowned out, then I wouldn't waste my time.

Now it would be difficult for any sane thinking person to argue your points in todays "politically correct Scotland" where singing naughty words at a football match is regarded as a more heinous offence than mugging some old pensioner in the street (or so it appears to me) but that's the way it is whether we like it or not,so if we want TBB back in full voice, then we have to adapt.

As I said in a previous post about this; We have to sail with the wind, not piss against it. :pipe:

and even more 'people' cannot control their need to be offended

You can have the debates about what is right or wrong in it. The fact remains that we used to get Simply the Best (full version) before the games, and then had it taken away from us because of those lyrics. It took us a long time to find Penny Arcade to give us something for the pre-match atmosphere.

It doesn't matter if those who are offended are right or wrong, the law is currently on their side and that is a different battle, I just hope that we don't have a lot of people working very hard for the benefit of the majority, and then having it all wasted because of those who can't control themselves.

songs diddny hurt you then but screwtaps did

this!! but our own support has become as offended as anyone ( and I could not give a fuck who got offended first) try using the word h** or even ' Glasgow Rangers' ( :pipe: )

I think we all got so fking sensitive !

But now we have these laws -stupid or not - it's the law of the land and TBB (old form) gets us into trouble.

I love the Hullo Hullo as much as anyone but care about the club more - this can only come back if the Club sanctions it - otherwise it's a minefield

It's like an old saying we have here, BP9...The only thing that offends an Aussie is if you try to screw his missus or drink his beer :thumbup:

You can have the debates about what is right or wrong in it. The fact remains that we used to get Simply the Best (full version) before the games, and then had it taken away from us because of those lyrics. It took us a long time to find Penny Arcade to give us something for the pre-match atmosphere.

It doesn't matter if those who are offended are right or wrong, the law is currently on their side and that is a different battle, I just hope that we don't have a lot of people working very hard for the benefit of the majority, and then having it all wasted because of those who can't control themselves.

Take your point LB.

It just amazes me how people can manipulate the politically correct laws for their own ends. I can't believe anyone is ACTUALLY offended by TBB

This isn't about what is inoffensive, it's about what is legal.

Correct, Vini. I've just had a quick think about this and we probably need to go something like this. (short version)

Hullo, Hullo We are the Billy Boys Hullo, Hullo, You'll know us by our noise No one will ever keep us down no matter how hard they try For we are the people and here's our battle cry

HULLO HULLO we are the Billy Boys

Take your point LB. It just amazes me how people can manipulate the politically correct laws for their own ends. I can't believe anyone is ACTUALLY offended by TBB

Nobody is offended by TBB, they just use it as a stick to beat our club with, no coincidence this all started in the same year we reached the Uefa final .

terrible blog, you justify it being banned in the first place with this crap:

" if Celtic fans sang about being up to their knees in Proddy or Orange blood, Rangers fans would berate them for it endlessly."

A fairer comparison would be "loyalist" or "British" or "royal" or something.

I'm surprised i need to reiterate this to some fans - the rivarly and hatred between us isn't anything to do with religion for the vast majority. They challenge our patriotism with their hate for our country - thats what a 'fenian' is, thats what a "fenian army" is, anti-british republicans with an agenda to unite ireland by violence.

They hide behind religion, and you're buying into it.

if you, and other fans are of the opinion that the days of singing about being up to your knees in someones blood are over, then fine, i can accept that arguement, there's plenty of crap id rather not hear at ibrox aswell, but don't feed their propaganda machine by comparing our line akin to be up their knees in proddy or orange blood.